How'd it go today?

I think that would fit into the "i saw so and so lose a finger, so i decided against doing that", but you never know, sometimes people have to learn the hard way!

Nice, easy day to finish the week today. 5 year cleanup and safety prune on a duplex owned by a long term client. He has a tree that needs to come out in the back yard, I can't reach it and don't have a climber so I met with another tree guy and subbed it out. They will use a crane.

Got several easy jobs for next week, all about 3-4 hours per day. I also have some small jobs to fill out the days and bump the dollars. Seems I make more money with less effort doing two smaller jobs instead of one big one.

We were pulling into Glasgow Montana to pick up a grain grinder.

In the same closed ShopKo parking lot was a team and stage.

The guy driving makes the coaches and is touring all over giving rides.

He might also be a Trump supporter............need to look into that aspect.....not sure.

Pretty cool that he made it. Do you know if he does the wheels and everything? A lot of work there.

Currently doing the math in my head. Knowing roughly my down payment and Vermeer has 24 months interest free right now. I’m very tempted

Also reconsidering the estimator thing. Seems lately my “better” crews could mess up a wet dream. Today was a gutter. I still can’t figure out how they managed to hit it. The tree was 60’ away. They had to fell that section directly at it. Same crew, same day refused a tree because of an old wound 2/3 of the way up to dead wood and end weight reduce. I ended up doing it in an hour while teasing them about the gutter. Same crew, two days and one day earlier set an out rigger on the edge of the concrete drive and broke it. Let’s just say they did not hit their quota. Another crew forgot to put their saw back on the truck after cleaning it and thought it made sense for me to come out of the tree to run across the county instead of one of them driving five minutes back to get it. Another crew had the crew leader show up late and decided he wasn’t “feeling it” today. The A crew has a bad attitude because one of them got pulled for a random and admits he isn’t gonna pass. Thankfully my geriatric crew ( two of the guys are 60 years old) pulled through once again with minimum manpower and equipment. They call me once in a while for some guidance but typically get things done. I’m really feeling like I need to put the gear on again. That or clone myself.
Any how, the beer tastes damn good tonight

Last edited:
What does the Vermeer do for you that isn't already being done? If you have no mini at all, they look like a really valuable addition to the arsenal. Seems like it would pay for itself in increased production and employee happiness.

I have one already. It’s a mid range mini with 1700+ hours. I’ve had an offer on it very recently for more than I paid for it. Also if the boss decides to buy one we can get a better deal together buying two. I could use the upgrade even though I’m trying to get out of “side work”. These things are damn handy. My side work is gonna become grinding stumps and a bit of firewood. True side work, not a full blown work every weekend thing. I own all my equipment outright so all I need to worry about is covering insurance. Don’t need to be this busy.

We will be able to process our own grain crops into feed for livestock.

Or purchase grain and grind it ourselves.

It is a mixer as well....so you can build a ration with other supplements like protein or vitamins.

Big grains go in.....little bitty grains come out.

Right now we are buying rolled barley to feed our fat cattle. The ones we eat.

Its garbage....light weight and lots of fine material.

We have 80 acres of barley planted for feed.

There is some interest in buying local fat beef....or semi local.

We are trying to get set up to offer fat animals.

I could use the upgrade even though I’m trying to get out of “side work”. These things are damn handy. My side work is gonna become grinding stumps and a bit of firewood. True side work, not a full blown work every weekend thing. I own all my equipment outright so all I need to worry about is covering insurance. Don’t need to be this busy.

Interesting questions, Rich.

I have an interest in leadership because I'm so bad at it. One the one hand, Haymaker been at it a long time, there must be something right about it's systems. On the other hand, I gotta believe there's a lot of leadership opportunity and need in a treeco with that many employees out there cutting and climbing. Is there a particular overt leadership emphasis there or does it kinda just happen and hope for the best?

Hard to say.

The grinder was cheap...ish. 2500 bucks.

Its expensive to plant barley.

We just like doing things ourselves......AKA....the hard way.

Quality will improve though.

If we find premium barley....it will grind better and feed better.

The barley they sell you is junk...light weight and dusty.

Feeding light barley is a waste of time....it just does not pack near the same punch.

So in that respect....we might save money too.

That's a good price on the grinder. I've shoveled thousands of tons of grain through one of those. I could shovel a hundred bushel of shelled corn through ours in 15 minutes with the Super M for power.

Back