How'd it go today?

Guess I'm taking one for the team...or "I love my job, But"...

Boss lady talked to me today about training someone else to do some of my job for a day or two per week...while I work on equipment maintenance.
with her hubby having a couple cracked vertebrae, he's mostly out of commision. They are both in their upper 70's and the other grounds maint. guy is 80 with two replaced knees...he's great for mowing, but that's about his physical limit, and I have limits on how much I can earn without losing all my health insurance (crappy as it is). I've already turned down two raises they wanted to give me, explaining I'd have to cut my hours if I made more.

I suggested they hire someone just for maintenance, but they need other things from the new hire during the rest of the week, like working the clubhouse & such so the old folks can have a break from coming in every day. Can't blame them there. They are also worried about us running an absolute minimum of staff. If one person couldn't show up for a few days for any reason it could easily be a crisis, or at least a real burden on the rest..

There are few things I dislike more than grease, oil, or mechanics of any kind...Though I do take care of the machines I run at work, hell, I have my lawn mower picked up just to get the oil changed, and am happy to pay someone else to do it, just so I don't have to. I just bit the bullet and kept quiet on this one...Not happy about the development, but it is what it is.

That sucks. I'm with you on the mechanical work. I'll change oil and stuff, but that's about it. I've done some work in the past for economic reasons(basically had to do it myself, or walk). but it isn't something I'd want to do for money.

I've been blessed to be very mechanically inclined, I've also been cursed that I have to use it.

Oh I can do it fine....just don't care for it in the least. Biggest thing is I'm kinda OCD when it comes to needing organised, having all the tools & parts available & knowing where they are at, etc. This will not be the operative mode in this case.

From my observations, now into my 7th decade of life...we who are blessed to be mechanically inclined more often than not, win.
We win on the avoided wasted money and time measure, win on the respected member of our community scale, win on feeling pride in our self-sufficiency.

Busted knuckles, burnt skin, grit in eyes, and greasy grime under our fingernails and ground into our skin of course is the price for those wins :).

Firewood for the casa, bid for 3 big trees and a couple small removals in tight spaces.
Been taking it at a relaxed pace, lately.
One week full time, next week with kid part time.

Need to remotivate. Breakfast and dinner cooked for me, lunch packed for me, good days. Not on the get to work by 8, work until dark at home summer routine.
Some camp for the kiddo may be off the table, at least initially. Covid cases going up. Too Few masks out and about.

From my observations, now into my 7th decade of life...we who are blessed to be mechanically inclined more often than not, win.
We win on the avoided wasted money and time measure, win on the respected member of our community scale, win on feeling pride in our self-sufficiency.

Busted knuckles, burnt skin, grit in eyes, and greasy grime under our fingernails and ground into our skin of course is the price for those wins :).

It certainly helps.
Even the ability to constantly monitor visually and aurally our machinery to detect the least change can help.
I have seen a lot of guys just use a machine to destruction through not understanding what’s amiss.

A big point with me...if I break it it was bound to break down, and the fix is a responsibility...spending time fixing stuff others messed up through negligence/inattention/stupidity irritates me to no end.

I went to work today.
We have a big hedge trimming job in one of the muslim ghettos.
I'll be spending the next few days raking up hedge trimmings, since that is something I can do with my bum hand.
One of my least favourite jobs and I absolutely hate working in the Ghettos, because it turns me into the Nazi that Kevin accused me of being.
A week of this and I'll be 2 steps to the right of Himmler.

Still nice to be doing something again, though.

Made it 3 hours before I was soaked this morning.

Just a misty drizzle that kept getting a little stronger as time passed. Beautiful afternoon now though, while I'm watching a movie & baking some chicken... :|:

Working around the house today.
Lots of pressure washing on the mossy driveway... Prep to repair...f'ing Lombardi's.
Once the camper is moved, I wonder above grinding all the roots along the asphalt, after retopping the right three... Did the left tree years ago. Western shade on the house and driveway. Too much passive solar gain for the house in summer.

Washed my GFs overdue car and vacuumed. So small and easy.

Attachments

• 15929620401241245976029.jpg
    15929620401241245976029.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 9
  • 15929620977971723260939.jpg
    15929620977971723260939.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 9
Another rainy day here. Dealing with this many guys is beginning to agitate me. Two guys decided they weren’t gonna work in the rain and another decided he can’t work with one of his crew. Then I was the asshole for picking him up instead of the other guy. “But I’m the crew leader and I told him to get out of the rain and he just kept working” My response was “ so I should send the guy home who thinks he should work while he’s being paid?”

Jeez, Rich. You deserve soooo much better.

If I ran a treeco, I'd hire you away in a heartbeat. What it might cost would be insignificant, compared to the value of having you on board. That is clear as mountain spring water.

I need to look more into cloning. I wonder if I could clone myself at 20-25 years old with the experience I have now? I’m going to fell a big white oak in a tight lay tomorrow morning if the rain holds off long enough. Someone built a sunroom halfway around it. Why anyone would build a sun room under a tree is just mind numbing to me. I was out there two months ago and just shook my head in disbelief. The home owner emailed the company today a picture of the tree and it has shifted with the storms and is almost touching the roof now. Gonna set a high pull line and a redirect in the woods to pull with a skid steer. Should be a quick flop but we will see. I’m tired and starting to ramble. That’s my cue to go to bed

Rain doesn’t bother me much. Torrential downpour and flash flooding type rain can suck, especially if it’s early in the day and I gotta work soaked for another 6+ hours. Still... if the other choice is don’t work and go home without pay, I know what I’m choosing ;)
I’d probably have a blast working on Rich’s crew.

Back