How'd it go today?

I took a first aid course on Thursday, each of the students took a turn at being the guinea pig for the teacher, I ended up putting myself up and it was the 'put on a bloodstopper and bandages for a large wound' demo, her scenario, not knowing any of our professions, was 'chainsaw kickback to the right calf'. I didnt explain to her that it was an almost impossible place to get a kickback injury but it was kinda ironical. And yes, I passed the course, here's me, the level one occupational first aid guy. :)

Hey Paul, what if it's Jerry's big 090 and you climb on top of it like a motorcycle, then it kicks back?
Doesn't seem so implausible now, does it? Huh? :P

I consider a scare every once in a while a very good thing. Lucky it is just a scare and keeps us on our toes. I nicked my rubber boot a couple weeks ago. Cutting limb wood for firewood. I used my foot to lift and slide the piece towards the saw. The saw had just about spooled down to nothing, but hadn't stopped completely. Nicked a shoelace once. Had a nasty kickback cutting at the stump once. Luckily I had a good stiff grip, and it just spun me with the saw. Dangerous tool, for sure.

Almost wore a full sized pick-up last night.

We were driving back from dinner (4 in an Outback). Guy coming toward us slid on ice and hit curb with driver's front tire, jumped 3-4' wide median, flung truck on its side, and it spun 180*, not before dinging us ever so, so , so slightly on rear driver's fender, and hairline crack to the taillight. I'd sorta saw it coming and steered to the passenger side a couple of feet before the slight impact. Seemed to register that we'd been hit, but then no apparent damage. We felt like the car spun a hair, but weren't sure. Wife saw the tiny indention (1/8-1/4") in fender this morning. Guy driving was shaken up but okay.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=739153648

Not apparent at first due to surprise, but truck was still in gear with rear wheels/ driveline spinning. Owner climbed back into truck to shut it off and "P" it.

Just pulled Mara (Rob's daughter), and friends out of a ditch down the road. Snow got slippery in a traditional shaded icy spot. Donned on some warm clothes, gloves and chains. They had the baby with them also. Kinda spooky when a little one is in the mix.
They only blew a tire in the ditch or when I pulled them out. Mara's friend Courtney and her boyfriend are here. They have a spare and I have all the tools, but I'll be damned if I go out and change a tire when there is a perfectly capable young man that can do it and is not lifting a finger. Courtney called her dad.. I towed the truck to our driveway. How hard can it be? Youth these days :roll:

He is sitting here on the couch texting while her dad is out changing the tire:X

Lazy day today. Just have to help Dad do some quick pruning at a clients house and then do some house chores.

Yesterday was a good day. Spent about 4 hours cutting firewood for someone. Ran the 192T, our 044's, and the 660. Good times.

Also went and looked at a bunch of jobs we have lined up soon. Some fun climbs, some scary ones. Lots of removals, and a large possible removal, and some pruning. Going to call in a buddy of ours to help with two or three trees, but the rest will be up to me. Going to be an interesting upcoming few weeks.

Woke up to an inch of snow, that was a surprise. Just took my ms460 out of hibernation, sharpened and cleaned it up a bit. Tuesday I am starting cutting for a guy for firewood in a state forest nearby. Hopefully it won't rain.

Just pulled Mara (Rob's daughter), and friends out of a ditch down the road. Snow got slippery in a traditional shaded icy spot. Donned on some warm clothes, gloves and chains. They had the baby with them also. Kinda spooky when a little one is in the mix.
They only blew a tire in the ditch or when I pulled them out. Mara's friend Courtney and her boyfriend are here. They have a spare and I have all the tools, but I'll be damned if I go out and change a tire when there is a perfectly capable young man that can do it and is not lifting a finger. Courtney called her dad.. I towed the truck to our driveway. How hard can it be? Youth these days :roll:

He is sitting here on the couch texting while her dad is out changing the tire:X

My daughter's best friend in high school was driving down the freeway and hit a piece of metal in the road and ruined her tire and broke a section out of the wheel. Her boyfriend was with her and he didn't have a clue how to change the tire and she called my daughter and her and my son went and changed it for them. The daughter's friend dumped the boyfriend.

Oh he knew how and so did she... She is just momma and daddy's little princess. She was also being the lazy kid. Been my daughter, she would have lost car privileges. That other little shit I just wanted to slap up side the head:X

Well my day is off to a great start. I had the water trickling last night as we were quite cold up here. But one of the kids got up in the night and shut the water off. :|:

Dogs tore insulation off the pipes outside (I did not know this until this morning) the kids informed me. Had to take Wyatt to work.. Called the client and let him know I would be late.. They did not change the burn day message until after 9am this morning.. :?:roll:
Fun Fun..
Rob told me the glue pot for the PVC was compromised.. Went to the hardware store and bought some... Came home, made fixes. Went to put the glue pots away and guess what I found :what:
Can I just cut my losses and take the rest of the day off??:|: Jeeeesh

It doesn't seem like I got much done today but I sure have managed to stay busy doing it. I brought the big truck home today and changed the oil as well as tinkered with a few other things while I had it here. I just realized I didn't grease the front end or driveshaft u joints though. I'll get that tomorrow.

Since the weather has turned quite warm and Spring has sprung, I spent a couple hours on the lawn today. Blew leaves, put down pest control and fertilizer and made a couple adjustments on the sprinkler system. At some point I'd like to take the rest of the weekend off. :|:

I split a few cords of wood today towards next years pile. Tonight I am going to get back at sharpening saw chain. I moved recently and when cleaning out the garage at the old place I sorted through saw chain. I threw a lot of them into my scrap pile but kept about 25 that had plenty of life left in them. The ended up by the wayside over time. Ive put a dent in the pile but many are 28 and 32" chains and it is taking my awhile. I could sure use a grinder right about now.

Put a hole in a hydraulic line on the mini, fluid shooting out, just what you want, oil in a rice field. :/: The guy I was helping on the removal job (his mini) started to give me a little grief, I debated whether to tell him to FO. If you are moving brush with a mini, the hoses should have sleeves over the connection, keep them from bending at that point. You can be careful all you want, but the hoses are still very vulnerable. When I was packing up another guy came up to me and said no worry, they get broken all the time by the guy who was complaining. They want about a hundred dollars for a new hose....robbery.

That sucks, Jay. It's amazing even with those covers leaks do come up otherwise.

The local NAPA is robbery too with hoses. I can get the same hose from SurplusCenter.com, for literally a quarter of what they want at the shop. Same with fittings, those are around half as less though. But when you need it you need it.

Back