How'd it go today?

Split two truck loads of hickory for smoking and finished up my welding project for the skid steer today. I am surely out of practice on that skill, or I have just plain forgotten settings, didn't help that I was trying to weld 1/8 in stuff to 1/2 in with only 2 choices of rod 6013 or 7014.

Lesseee.. how to explain "How my day " go..

Business is sometimes just about putting out fires..
Came home to a rut ro phone call... Went to the site... well.....
That's how my day went...:|: Crap! :|:
First time this has happened :(

Attachments

• P1010003.JPG
    P1010003.JPG
    203.4 KB · Views: 2
  • P1010007.JPG
    P1010007.JPG
    210 KB · Views: 1
  • P1010006.JPG
    P1010006.JPG
    210.4 KB · Views: 2
  • P1010004.JPG
    P1010004.JPG
    211.4 KB · Views: 1
  • P1010008.JPG
    P1010008.JPG
    211.9 KB · Views: 2
  • P1010005.JPG
    P1010005.JPG
    211.6 KB · Views: 2
I will know what the bill will be or if there will be a bill in 3 weeks time. Burn pile was properly handled for conditions and this time of year. This one was four days old.
Figure some leaf drop hit it and got blown into some duff 10 feet out.
Could have been a lot worse and the inspector knew who we were and praised us for past sites.
See what comes of it.
only about 1/4 acre and stayed on property.

Glad everybody is ok and no structures were damaged.

Is it too early to razz you? I think I found your new avatar picture. :/:

disaster_girl_and_other_disaster_kids_01.jpg

:lol: Perfect... made me laugh! Thanks Brian.

I am hoping our rep holds up and they let it go.
We spent the entire afternoon up there after the trucks had all but one left. Last man out found a smoldering stump in another pile and the water tender was already gone. No well on the property yet. Sooooo We promised no embers and delivered that promise two 3 gallon buckets at a time up the hill 3 guys.... Dug holes and mixed ash like cement on 5 piles until there was nothing hot up there.
They said they would be back to inspect this evening.
Had that fire happened last year... It would have taken air drops to stop it from heading up the hill. You could not even walk in there last year when we started this project.
Home owner actually tried to pay us for our efforts today:|: I was all like "hell no!" :lol:
If the neighbor had got hold of us first, 3 of us could have put it down in no time. Duff fires if your under story is clear, ain't too bad.

Definatly sucks but I bet they let it go this time as it looked like they were on it quick enough

We were burning slash a day after season closed on a golf course we had equipment on and the volunteer fire department showed up in full force:dur: Told us to put them out!! I went and got the D-9, dove over a steep bank full of loose dirt, my buddy said when the huge dozer dissapeared in a cloud of dust, the firemen said :looks like you guys got it under control"! And left :lol:

HAHAHA That's funny Willie. I keep thinking if we could have got there before CDF, about all they could of lent us was the water tender.
I just worry right now with the State being as broke as it is, they will go for the money. They were all hot to get insurance info. Guess wait and see time .....

Went ok, just working through the removal job I posted at the work pics....one thing though, the crane operator... I work with him all the time, and this job he brought in and is pretty much in charge. I'm cool with that, he is very competent in tree work, but when something doesn't go as planned, even a minor deal, like a tree swinging wrong as a result of being tied off for a pic not in the best way, no damage, just a little whoa!....when it is done exactly the way he says he wants it, it has to be someone's fault other than his, and he also has to point that out. We all know what we are doing, I don't see why it has to be someone's fault. Some discussion or something, I'm certainly down with that, learn from it, but the blaming thing, I'm going wtf! I don't think it is worth arguing about, and I will shoot him back a reply to point out what I think is his incorrect assessment, or more usually keep my mouth shut, it just seems like his tendency is to go off on someone when this kind of thing happens, gets stressed or something. Otherwise he is quite a reasonable man. I don't really get it. I've learned a sh@tload from the guy, am always respectful, and thankful really, to work with him, but he just has this quirk. A few minutes later it is all forgotten, and he might be pouring me a cup of coffee. Maybe I shouldn't let it bother me, everybody has sumpin. Anyway, just needed to blow off steam a bit...thanks!

I'll Blow my morning steam also, drive 45 min to hear not today on the rest of that pine removal, get home to realize I left my 200 ft bull rope in their truck as I was loading my gear:X and I needed it to do the next job on my list. So yard work it will be!

Well now there is an interesting piece of crap... (sorry a tad pissy)
I wake up hearing blustery wind gusts and figure I am not going to be doing hanger removals today just to be safe. I called the burn day info line and sure enough... It is a burn day:? I wouldn't burn in this wind and they are saying it's ok.... WTF comes to mind. If we had a good rain.. I could roll with that. But it is dry out there and windy.
Makes me want to :banghead:

I can't decide if your uncle looks like a super mellow old timer, or one majorly hard core rocker, Steve. Cool grader either way.

Split two truck loads of hickory for smoking and finished up my welding project for the skid steer today. I am surely out of practice on that skill, or I have just plain forgotten settings, didn't help that I was trying to weld 1/8 in stuff to 1/2 in with only 2 choices of rod 6013 or 7014.

Actually, 6013 would be a good rod for such an endeavor.

Sucks about the fire, Stephen. Hopefully you'll get out well enough. Perhaps take a page out of Brian's book and take them pizza before the bill is drafted?

I went for another ride yesterday afternoon, about 13 quads and 3 SXSs. Nothing drowned. :lol: I did get water in my intake, but the sump in the air box took care of that. At the next stop (>2min) I cleaned the water out with the tool kit's supplied chamois. At the end of the ride we played in a pond some, no water ingress there. :)

No pictures of the ride, my phone was in a water proof bag in my rear compartment and I was entirely too nasty to dig it out.

Here's a picture of the CVT transmission I was talking about earlier.
c595459f.jpg

Here's the Tow Master (50 miles to where we rode):
ad9df33c.jpg

And here's Brendon's hell:
49d554d6.jpg

Haha, sweet. I'm no stranger to dirt, cleaning it's the fun part.

Actually have the power washer out today, high of 50 here. T-shirt weather! Washed the Toyota, pulled the Ford out of the cover-it and gave it a bath. Sure get's dusty in there. :lol: Do a quick wax and put her back into hibernation.

Furnace went out this morning. $420 later it's up and running again. didn't really need to get hit in the pocket book right now but it's paid and moving on......

About how I am feeling about buying a new oven/range right now Dave. Except they double charged my account and I am trying to get it resolved before my now over drawn account creates a whole new set of issues:X

Nice mud job, 'jack. I once drowned my Arctic Cat 250 in a North Carolina creek. Big grains of sand bottom. Had to pull all the drain plugs, crank it for 30 minutes (Delco!) and finally rode that sucker out. Drained the oil when I got her home, it was full of sand. Flushed her a couple of times, rode it for months after that till I sold it. Still regret selling her, she loved to pull brush and logs from the backyard and field jobs. One day I plan to buy a 650 V-twin, I'm told they are bad ass.

Sucks about the furnace and especially the stoves.

I like my 800XT, it shows stacks of potential and is down right impressive stock. I was able to keep up with anyone this weekend, but many of them could leave me and my stock tires in deep mud.

Ordered the factory snorkel kit today, hopefully it'll be here in a couple days so I can put it on before the weekend. After I sell some stuff/ work picks up I'll be adding more mods I fear!

Back