How'd it go today?

I've got just a little work to be done in my crawl space .The tile guy should be here by weeks end ,next .800 square feet of heavy duty stuff that should last forever .

Thought about hardwood but I'm too much of a grease monkey with the stuff I do .Couldn't see me being too gentle with it .Better to err on the side of caution rather than turn a nice floor to look like it came out of a barn in a few years

No big feed here this year because of the construction . Mama Dar and I will be having t-bone steaks on the grill prepaired by chef Al .

We had a fun and relaxing day today.
The school in my local village had bought two large doug firs from the state forest to use for pole climbing.
The State forest had asked us to fell them.
So we volunteered to put on a show and top them first.
Richard and Anders did one each. Lots of fun and it impressed the shit out of all the students who were there to watch and also landed PB250029.JPG PB250031.JPG PB250032.JPG us an interview with the newspaper from the nearest big city, Roskilde ( VERY good for business:))

Since we'd ripped the day out of our scedule anyway, we started out by rec-climbing a nice doug fir left alone on a ridge.
Great view, when it wasn't snowing too much.

I'm gonna get my treadmill time in now to make up for what's to come in a few hours. I tried to talk myself into skipping it, but failed miserably. Oh well...

Woke up at 9ish, haven't done that in forever. Late night last night, got home about 330. Friend is up from South Caroline, so we all hung out. Made a little bracket for the chipper this morning, and that's about. It's cold, and has that wet feeling in the air, so motivation is surely lacking.

I went out on a crooked tree scouting trip in my woods this morning. Thinking about a small cruck frame. Worked on maintaining an old logging road behind the house, need to get some oak out.

Same as a climbing wall, they just raise a pole and put the little handholds and stuff on that instead.
That way you can climb outdoors.
They put a stainless steel cap on top that houses the pulley for the rope used to belay the climber.
The poles/spars/whatever will be about 80 feet tall, when they are set up, with one end in the ground supported by guy wires.
We'll probably be invited to try them out, should be fun for Anders, he's a wallclimber.

Just a way to get the students to be physically active. We are working hard to head the obesity plague, that has hit the western world, off.
This is part of that.

I went out this am to look at a couple of jobs. Had to look at a big ginko tree to install lightening protection, the guy from the school told me I couldnt miss the tree as it was absolutely stunning, completely yellow. I had the kids so I tried to get them interested by telling them we were going to see a "beautiful" tree. Got there and Woody and Whylie wanted to get out to collect some leaves, Whylie loves collecting leaves. So we get out and Whylie who has just turned 3 announces (to my amazement) thats a ginko tree !!! Blew my mind, I was sure I had just said it was a beautiful tree, not a ginko. I called the Mrs and she confirmed that she has been working on tree ID with her and she knows what a Ginko is:O:|:

Blew me away.....

They like it here, but they don't get very tall.
Maybe 145 feet at the most.
But we started planting them about 150 years ago, so some of the oldest are of decent size.

I read somewhere that outside of Canada and the US, France has the biggest acreage of doug fir.

It's hard to know what grows in different parts of the world never having been there .

Recently I looked at some acacia wood flooring .The salesman had no idea where it came from. Africa I told him the exact wood the Bible says the ark was made from .

In looking it up it seems the stuff is a second cousin to our black locust .I suppose if the stuff could grow on the planes of Africa it could do well on our western states like osage orange .

Fact is it wouldn't surprise me if our northern red oak would do nicely in Denmark .Might already be there for all I know .

It is, Al.
So is the black locust.

The latter is only planted as an ornamental, but red oak has been planted quite widely in the forests and this last decade they have started to yield some nice logs.
The logs used to be so rare that the mills didn't want to bother with them, so they could be had cheaply.
I've made quite a few into lumber, but now that the mills are buying, they are too costly.

I think it's probabley the same everywhere .The mills won't give but pennies for it but if you buy it cut into lumber you pay through the nose . They are getting around 3 bucks a BDF ,kiln dried,planed ,straight one side .Pretty good stuff though .

I would also imagine that if those Danish Doug firs ever get as old as the ones on the west coast of North America,say 500 years that they will be as large .It takes around 200 years to get a big red oak .They will never make good lumber though unless they have to fight for sunlight .In the open they just get big and fat .

Crane aided removals today, the crane operator's customer. Mostly pines, but there was some arrangement that the hardwoods would be cut into 45 cm firewood lengths. Just what you want to do at the end of the long day, right? A pretty good pile of logs to cut through, so I start guesstimating length pretty early on in the little project, cutting through the pile with a longer bar. Alternating cutting and stacking, because making it neat for the customer is part of the arrangement, I'm told. I get about three quarters done and the lady comes out of the house and says, "Some of those look too long". I said that may be so, but it's late in the day and I can't measure every one. I need to get this finished, and most of this will fit, since your stove will take fifty centimeters. She gives a pout and tells me how worried she is that some won't fit, and I need to cut the long ones again. I was an inch from telling her to have a heart and get her husband to cut the long ones, unless he is useless, but I held my breath and went through what was there again to make her happy. The whole time she is standing about three feet away staring at the job, every once in awhile saying, "What about that one?" It put me in a real bad mood in a hurry. I kept thinking to myself, this isn't my job.

That kind of thing almost never happens, I mean cutting up firewood at a job, so I just sucked it up as best I could and didn't say anything to the crane guy. I'm still kind of pissed, though. I mean I don't mind cutting firewood, just not for a whiney crab, especially when tired. :X

Nothing worse than cutting firewood, and at the end of the day to say the least. Sometimes I'd rather just load it with the mini and take it for a ride.

21lhuRGpl9L.jpg

Back