How'd it go today?

I have the exact same chairs around my dining table.
Bought them in Eureka in 1988.
They are made by a company in Oregon.
Red alder and steam bent sycamore.

...I had a climbing job which was more than I thought I could do so I contracted with Knotahippie to come over and do it. He knocked out a bunch of it today and should finish up early tomorrow. Crazy guy rode his bicycle over from San Jose through Del Puerto Canyon. 72 miles and a few pretty good hills to climb. He left yesterday and camped in the hills overnight.

Thanks for giving me the opportunity to work with you, Steve.

Super fun trees to climb, too.

I'm on 'vacation' for about a month, so the timing was perfect.

What a beautiful ride that was. Rode about 50 mi back on Fri night by moonlight.

Just surreal!

Did the whole ride in flip-flops - perfect temps, super mellow riding.

Slept pretty good when I got home.

And if you ask me... it's crazy not to ride that canyon, given the chance.

Thanks again, Steve.

Looks like the Whitlock fire is not going to get big Stephen.

They really jumped on that fire yesterday. Pretty amazing how they grow though. They had crews on it all night. It was less than an acre when reported. Now 69 acres at 75 percent containment. The winds had died off not 1-2 hours into the event. They got real lucky with that. BTW.. They had no 4WD high clearance trucks available when the fire first started. They had to recall them from else where. Dozer was on scene in the first hour. Even though that area burned two yeas ago. It is ripe to go again. Now with all that dead for fuel.

I think that is so cool Josh, that you two got to work together. Let alone the ride. :)

So far today I've changed out a couple mud flaps on the bucket truck, changed the synthetic gear lube in the rear axle of my pickup (3 quarts at $20 per quart!), fixed a flat tire, worked on sanding/painting my repaired bucket, cleaned and serviced a few saws, ran 2 loads of laundry and drove across town to look at some trees for a friend. Still have a few things left but I'm getting close to taking the rest of the weekend off. ;)

Here some pictures from the canyon that Josh rode up. My son and I rode up there when he had his camaro (which he promptly crashed). This is from a couple of years ago and I think it has a lot more grass this year. I lost these pictures in a hard drive crash a while back but retreived them off of Arbtalk.

Attachments

• camaro001.jpg
    camaro001.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 4
  • camaro004.jpg
    camaro004.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 3
  • camaro003.jpg
    camaro003.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 4
  • camaro.jpg
    camaro.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 4
  • camaro002.jpg
    camaro002.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 4
We cut down a small spruce tree this a.m. I had to go to our gym for some assessment thing they require at 1:00. Said I was in good shape overall, BMI was a bit on the high side. They helped me develop a plan to lose about 10lbs or so and increase endurance and flexibility for climbing.

We were going to do another job, but when everything was done and we had lunch, it was just too late. Dad's going to hammer it out with the guys sometime. Should only take about an hour or so with a 4 man crew.

Mom is cooking chicken enchiladas right now, so supper should be great!

Got a call from crazy priest telling me that his mother died, so to come over and say goodbye before she goes to get cremated. People don't normally do that...hence his name. Not particularly looking forward to it.

Sittin on my fanny, watching the Hawks get plastered by the Broncos. But I worked 6 days last week, so I earned the rest. Did two extremely technical jobs, have lots of photos/vids to edit and get up... One was two hard sideleaning elm limbs with no good tie in. Quite awkward. Second was a too dead to climb high enough maple, but with tall firs appropriately placed to work off a tight line. wileyP thinks I may have run an unsafe operation. But, based on figures Graeme and Angus sent me, we were well within safe loading parameters--mainly sideloads to the firs. Wraptor came in handy on both jobs.

Yesterday, I did a $750 44" dead cherry for $100, as the homeowner is on $835/mo fixed income. Dan, a bowl turner, helped, and Catrina, who needs firewood for the upcoming winter. The tree was split apart, with lots of rot. but there was an interesting big growth on it...and Dan still got enough wood for maybe 15 bowls. He'll get me one or two. Took a long time, what with running into some nails, and me helping Dan cut his bowl blanks. Then, I went to Eric's grand opening of his new far larger showroom. www.slabart.com. I shot photos for him, and Yoko, a gracious 6 foot tall Japanese lady, who had her large calligraphy art on display. A flute player provided excellent live music....hus medium is the wooden Japanese style flutes and music.

Just finishing up 3 days at the home show. Not the most productive show but should bring in some work

Your friend does some nice work there, Roger, but credit where credit is due. If he is copying the work of the late furniture maker, George Nakashima, as is obvious in some of it, he should mention it...imo. Maybe he does give credit with the piece, it is generally considered common courtesy.

Hauled my splitter into town so Tom's crew had two to run .They got a lot split up today .I retrieved it late afternoon because where he lives I won't bet my machine would still be there come morning and that would annoy to say the least .

Looks to me like he has maybe 40 cords at his place and at least that much in my woods .As it is he doesn't have much work this coming week so they should make a dent in it .4 guys,two splitters ,they can knock out around 8-9 cords per day .

My framer hasn't been up to his usual self the last few days .Made a few mistakes like ordering 10 square too much roofing .It seems the guy developed a bleeding ulcer and is in intensive care as I type .He lost a lot of blood in a short time .All this kind of explains things .

That slab stuff is where a giant chainsaw mill would work great .It would be the easiest way to rough cut wide slabs I can think of .

Chit I can get over two a day working by myself and I'm an old coot . I do see though where a punction mark out of place makes a lot of difference .;)

Good weekend, we had a birthday party for Woody today at the park. I set up some ropes in a 50' maple and we put some kids up in the tree. The kids loved it, I pulled them about 15' up to the first branches and a few of them even did some limb walking:) I was expecting to have to go up and bring a couple down when they freaked out and forgot how to operate the friction hitch but they all were able to come down on their own.
Went over to my mechanic buddies and we tried to put a fuel pump on my 6.2 diesel suburban. We couldnt figure out how to hold the "rod" up as you put the pump in, anybody know the trick.

On another note just read about a kid I used to ride with here in town. When I used to ride he was 15 or 16 and was really good rider, I could never "drop" him. Now at 21 he just WON THE US PRO CHAMPIONSHIP :O:O I just cannt imagine. That is freakin awesome, GO BEN KING !!!!! What makes it so cool is he is an awesome kid, so polite and humble, I hope hes not doing drugs....

What "rod"? If it's the float for the fuel gauge, you have to twist them to get them in the tank then hold your tounge right and set it down in the tank so it lines up.

Got the boy off to school, waiting for mama to come back so I can say bye to her, she's off to London again, I hope we don't have another damn volcano!

Just in from two estimates and I just don't get the gall of folks, call you to give an estimate and once there they say we have no money but could you do it :X had either been an emergency/ hazardous situation I can work with that but to Not even have half sorry!

Joel, you must be acquiring Andy's reputation for working for free. :P

Running more errands this morning here. I renewed my tags on my pickup and trailer (and made sure the Honda and boat were no longer in my name), paid my parking rent for the next 6 months, mailed off a small package at the post office and then came home to change the fluid in the rear axle of my pickup again. Seems I must have slipped yesterday when putting the cover on because there was a nice puddle under the truck this morning. And at $20 per quart I don't want to lose all that gear lube. I'm letting it set up now and will finish torquing the cover down and refill it in about an hour.

I'll admitt that I have given a few folks a great deal and have barely made money on those jobs but the location and opportunity to be seen was great and showed those interested how capable and nice a job can be done. I think I also have sucked up anothers client base via my reputation and have a fleeting feeling that he is behind the wild goose chase calls.

Your friend does some nice work there, Roger, but credit where credit is due. If he is copying the work of the late furniture maker, George Nakashima, as is obvious in some of it, he should mention it...imo. Maybe he does give credit with the piece, it is generally considered common courtesy.

Well, Eric once took me to a local library and showed me some of Nakashima's work.....I think they knew each other....

Back