How'd it go today?

We pruned fruit trees waaaaaaayyyy too late in the season. I gave all the reasons why we shouldn't but they wanted them done anyway. Anyone else calls with fruit tree pruning, the answer is "nyet." I had a good day despite myself. I have been off for some reason, even my number two climber has noticed it. I think its just that I have been really busy, working Saturdays and crashing so hard on Sundays that I don't do anything fun with the family. I've got to re-ignite the mellow that smolders within me. No, not that.

Sounds like you need to take a "me" day. Maybe take the youngun someplace you can both have fun and decompress.

Not terrible. Wide spread minor damage. Still only 1 tree (that I've bid) that caused structural damage to the house and it didn't get through the ceiling. I'll post pics of what we do tomorrow, although it's fairly lack luster.

Darin, Why do you care? I don't mean why care about the trees or the customers I mean why are you concerned about the season? There has been a fair ammount of research into the seasonal question and the detriments of late pruning are small. Some commercial operations have even been influenced to perform summer pruning as a regyular practice. Having pruned literally thousands of fruit trees, many of them in mid bloom I can say without the slightest doubt that good pruning will give good results without any regard to dormancy and bud break.

Willie that is presumably true....but the recent research points strongly to ALL fireblight (the principle disease problem of apples and pears in my area) being spread by bees during pollination so spring pruning is no disadvantage to the tree in that regard. Theoretically it could be helpful since infected tissue is routinely removed during pruning and further transfer may thus be mitigated.

Justin, that's interesting stuff. Do you have any links to any of that research? I'd love to run it by the local fruit tree expert.

I'm going to consult on some fruit trees this morning, so I'll keep all that in mind.

Paul, have you tried the goback machine? I lost my guestbook a long time ago (before I got rid of it entirely) and I used it to at least get my comments back.

Yesterday was a good day, worked like a dog sun up til sun down.....then slept like a puppy. :D

Today.....not so much....hour long lunch....oops.

Pretty boring day.... flopped a dead oak, threw everything on the grapple trailer, grabbed my check and was done by 10:30.

Cleaned up a storm damaged Ash and some other crap. I put this lady ahead of 2 weeks worth of work so her kids can play safely outside, she adds 2 trees while I'm there and beat me for the tax. The rich don't have money by spending it...thats for sure.

Crappy weather day. Rain then thunderstorms, then back to rain, now its sunny, but more bad stuff coming. Mother nature has been giving us a run for our money lately.
Prepped for Crane tomorrow. Was trying to fly it today but that wasn't happening.

forced it in the wet today.....poplar and locust TD.....then off to see my insurance agent. Got my WC rate lowered to 32% with monthly payments:D

Hey, look what I found! <object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/t44X2svgz4I&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/t44X2svgz4I&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
A friend called me and said he saw me on you tube:D

Paul, have you tried the goback machine? I lost my guestbook a long time ago (before I got rid of it entirely) and I used it to at least get my comments back.

No, I haven't, whats a goback machine? :)

EDIT: I did some googling and it appears Norton has software called Goback but it seems to be a hard disk recovery service, the data I had was never on my hard drive, only the server of the interweb. :) Thanks for the idea though Che!

My day today was bleaugh. My proposed half day pruning job got postponed because lady homeowner had one sick kid and one kid to dentist appt in the morning, I had a job for the afternoon so we pushed it to next week.

To make use of today I went and did a small cleanup / pruning job, bought some plants and ordered sod for Thursday's job then came home, did a bit of research and bought a new GPS on Ebay from the same seller I bought the other one from.

This evening I will be working on the website if I get access... Wife and Bub are heading to inlaws for the night for a visit. :beer::D

Well I did absolutely nothing today but spend money I don't have, should of made some good money removing a duck buttonwood but mother nature screwed me , so we'll get it tommorow...

Scott, I got the same rain you did today. But it mostly blew over by lunch time and I ended up salvaging the day. We had a big day at a condo complex that is mostly pine trees and palms. I cut down 9 pines, 2 small dead oaks and 5 palm trees. I had to climb 2 of the pines and 4 others I was able to flop with some preparation. One of the floppers was growing up over a GLASS ROOFED porch :roll: and I was able to knock off the 3-4 lower limbs and flop it in between a big oak and a small magnolia. I literally had about a 2' opening and I nailed it.

Got a late call from a regular client. There's a broken limb propped up on his roof and still attached to the tree. No damage yet and it's not going anywhere, so I'll go snatch it off the roof in the morning.

found an old link in my favorites, listening to this (LAPD radio chatter) in the background..

ps, you have to open it in windows media player, quicktime didnt figure it out. :D

Back