How'd it go today?

Working like crazy still here. Yesterday I trimmed a birch, removed two birch, and fell a big azz cedar tree. No clean-up, fun day. Today is stumpgrinding.:( I like being able to offer stumpgrinding but I'm not overly enthralled with actually doing it.

Hey hey hey ,I might have just set a new worlds record for replacing a hot water heater .Got the thing around 10 ish from Lowes back in service with the new one before noon . That fact plus a buck 75 will get me a beer at most bars in Lima Ohio .:|:

Cool deal, Al. I'm terrified of what will be involved when I eventually have to replace my water heater. The copper line has all sorts of little green corrosion spots on it and even sprung a pinhole leak that I fixed with a rubber sleeve and a hose clamp a couple years ago.

And that's just the pipe visible before it disappears inside the block wall. :\:

Today I welded up a side exit exhaust on the 1 ton. I had it straight piped dumping right onto the ground through a turn down, but it had echoed so bad in the cab. She exits out through the side now, mucho quieter in the cab. Went and checked on my chip box too, looking nice. Came home and cut another piece of aluminum for it, if only Wagnaw would come and get mine already. :)

...The water just comes out of the well for the geo at about 5 and a half gal per minute ...

Ran the numbers today. In electricity costs, it costs us about $.01 to pump 44 gallons at 10 gallons a minute with a pump that is 24 years old.

That means in 4 weeks of pumping, we'd spend $91.64 to pump 403K gallons. In a year we'd spend $1191.32 moving 5.24 million gallons. 5.24 million gallons would cover a high school football field, including end zones, 2' over the tops of the field goals.

With the county water system, we get 7 quarts of water for a penny.

found out my pickup has an aluminium drive shaft today and that the U joint and spider are rusty as heck.

found out my pickup has an aluminium drive shaft today and that the U joint and spider are rusty as heck.

AND, they are held in place with injected plastic. Really not that bad to change with heat. Take two short 2x4's and put them on two longer 2x4's in a "V" and two more for the front of the driveshaft. This makes it SO MUCH easier to work on them without tearing them up!!
But again, heat, lots of heat, and a cheap socket you can beat on!

Helped a buddy out today with Dad, doing mostly chipping. I did get to climb up a Silver Maple and cut out two good sized chunks with a MS200. And for our hard work, he gave us his almost brand new 192T, which is in great shape!!! This saw is awesome, being reserved for Dad and I to use only, and best of all, I'm half owner!!!

Not a bad day at all .After setting the worlds record for replacing a water heater I finished the super split [er ] .I brought the thing home.My shop unfortunately is twenty miles from my house .

Because I hole sawed the tank/axle and did a lot of welding on it ,I have to power wash the inside of the tank before I put the oil in and test it out . Weld splatter or metal chips would play hell with a hydraulic pump . Little fine stuff will pass right through a suction screen .Voice of experiance here ,been there before .;)

One of the Schellings decided to start working today:? Yeah, they didn't run it on third, couldn't. I went over, rubbed on it, talked nicely and it was happy:? Seriously, work just called, it's still running fine. Gotta love F M!!
Got all the other saws but one up and running now, had a huge amount of help from the forklift mechanic, this guy is a HUGE lifesaver!!!
It was a crazy wild week, and wilder weekend!! But thats another story, myabe another day.

I did my first REAL crane job today. :D

I've done alot with knuckle boom cranes, but never with a straight boom, cable, and ball. It went really well. I wish I had pics. :whine:

It was a big red oak up on a hill.

That's sweet Wag! Crane jobs rule!

My day was brutal! 4 large ash prunes with about 1,000 cuts in each. My arms are so tired I'm struggling to type.:eyeslam:

Took the last two days off ( save for consults and paperwork) to regenerate. Was climbing all week last week slaughtering live oaks, live, almost dead, and quite dead. Chipping yada yada. I just wanted some time for the ol man I am, the mrs, and the kids. Was nice. Fire clean up is starting to really roll in among other things and I am booked into Nov.. Can't complain as this is normally my slow time of year.
I have been experiencing some reschedules and cancelations due to our wonderful economy.. But they seem to fill up just as fast with those that need it right now.. CDF has also been busy with citations again now that the fires are done. Fire safe citations are rolling in and they keeping me busy. Life is good. Momma and the boys all got some good quality time with daddy here before I get back in the saddle for more....

Finally finished the selective cut from hell. I swear the place was cursed. :/:

Never have I seen so much go wrong in so little time. :|:

Back