How'd it go today?

@lxskllr You may want to implant a chip into Spot at your vet. I've had one in all of my dogs, including Harry Winston, my English Labrador retriever. It has his name, my name, my address, phone numbers, etc. associated with it. Animals always get scanned when they get picked up now.

Man, that thing looks awful :^D

I'm not a big fan of snack cakes. TastyKake butterscotch krimpets and kandykakes are pretty good though.

Trying to figure out if a point to point wifi will work at the sawmill. They can have a range of 2 to 10 km. My house is about 520m to the building nearest the mill. I'm worried about trees, but interestingly, the straight line from my house is the least obstructed path. My parents house is about 120m from the mill, if I can't make it work from mine. Now I'm pretty confused by all the different options. I'll have to set up a small solar panel/battery/inverter at the mill.

Screenshot_20240527_191946_Google Earth.jpg

Last edited:
Alright David, I'm calling off the wedding. It's just that our differences are irreconcilable. I'm a Stihl bitch, and I'll not have your icky HooskVerna in our relationship any longer. Let alone whoever Jonsred is!

My boss likes husky too, but I accredit that to his youth. He also hasn't ever spurless climbed either, so you have that in common. He spiked an aspen the other day for pruning, so you've got that over him lolz.

A musing thought...
I was reflecting the other day, on my career and my attitude towards it. Many moons ago, I was cocky to the point of arrogance, much like young @WoodCutr. After losing the argument with gravity, I was humbled, and finally realized that arrogance and ignorance go hand in hand, and merrily so, down the golden path to hell. Upon my "discovery of the internet" I was humbled again, by both the incredible skill and lack thereof, that I've found in my wanderings.

Then when I get to feeling like I'm a complete hack, I look at the treeple I actually know, and I pat my self on the back and think "you're doing OK, Kaveman, quit tripping, you got this. Hell, look at these dweebs".
you guys are still going on about me? its been 5 months...

only stopped by to imbiggen a picture I posted a while back and noticed you mentioned me, since I quit hanging out here I've been doing a lot better btw, not that any of you care tho

After much YouTubing, I've ordered a 5km point to point bridge. I'll try it from house first, but I'm betting there is too much tree interference. If it doesn't work, then I'll put it on my parents house. If I stand at the corner of the building near the top of the yellow line, I have a very clear line of sight at about 400'. Historically, not having the ability to text or call at the mill has been a huge pita, and the last month has been not been any better. Hopefully this does what is supposed to do. Way cheaper than StarLink, or fiber, and no monthly fees. Essentially if you picture a cat6 cable coming out of your router and going into the router at the sawmill, the bridge is seen as just a very long cat6 cable between them.

The one we had set up between houses, worked ok. Less range than what you need. But I could broadcast wifi out 600 plus feet directional. But line of sight is important. One tree had to be trimmed pretty regular. A windy night would screw with it with tree branches dancing in front of it.

Speaking just for myself, I miss seeing words like imbiggen. What you been up to?
just hanging around, doing my usual, terrorizing other forums and facebook, traded my mini skid for a dump truck a few weeks ago, did a small oak crane job, I would have brought in an 80 ton but there was literally nowhere to put one, the 30 ton barely fit, so it was 2 days of tiny, tiny picks, I think the heaviest was 5800# once we got to the wood

I've already been dragged about the slings, operator gave me a tiny shackle for a 2" sling, wasn't my idea but he said to run it, the sling doesn't seat around the pin correctly, don't mean its right, but its what we did, gonna snag a set of the Reon slings at some point, or chain, not sure yet, probably chain since it's more robust but I feel like it'll be a massive pain to deal with too

1716912287707.png
View attachment 1716912883694.jpeg

1716912767667.png
1716913777412.png

few pics of dad in this tree as well
1716913713587.png
1716913725591.png

Attachments

• 1716912711967.png
    1716912711967.png
    871.7 KB · Views: 2
  • 1716912971698.jpeg
    10.3 MB · Views: 2
  • 1716913242661.jpeg
    12.5 MB · Views: 2
After much YouTubing, I've ordered a 5km point to point bridge. I'll try it from house first, but I'm betting there is too much tree interference. If it doesn't work, then I'll put it on my parents house. If I stand at the corner of the building near the top of the yellow line, I have a very clear line of sight at about 400'. Historically, not having the ability to text or call at the mill has been a huge pita, and the last month has been not been any better. Hopefully this does what is supposed to do. Way cheaper than StarLink, or fiber, and no monthly fees. Essentially if you picture a cat6 cable coming out of your router and going into the router at the sawmill, the bridge is seen as just a very long cat6 cable between them.
Ubiquiti? Or another brand?

Spent the afternoon car shopping for my youngest. She just graduated college and took a job in Montana. Needed a reliable vehicle to replace her 2008, 187,000 mile old Prius. She ended up buying a brand new Jeep Compass. Good thing I went with her. Sticker price was over $31k but we got it out the door for $27k. Took a lot of back and forth negotiating. I think end of month and the fact that it was a leftover 2023 helped. She's a happy camper. She treated me to a burger and beer to celebrate.

IMG_4418.jpg

Smashed an 8 hour job in under 5. Just things worked out. Long ass drags and staging for the fire counsel chipper crew.
Just the good team worked great with the homeowners and I just made mess after mess.
One of those wow days while the phone started last night with bunches of bull shit and drama. Guess some one has to try and ruin a good time.
3 PM appointment forgot about me. Soooo guess we do it again tomorrow.
Stuff people do around me would get me fired and forgotten in a NY minute.

I got one of my antennas installed at the sawmill. No big deal. I have a small pure sine wave inverter I'm going to run off an extra battery I have. Not sure how long a charge will last, and if I still put a solar panel in the system, or if I can just plug it into the tractor occasionally to charge. Going to get everything working first, then fine tune.

I'm getting a lot of ocd mileage out of my wiring addiction. I knew I had a bunch of projects, and having the right tools and supplies on hand is making it all much easier. Not to mention the quality looks satisfyingly professional. I'm putting new battery clamps and ends on the 4Runner. That's an area that can give you trouble, but can be mitigated without spending a ton of money. Sub $20, right now.

Got a call from a repeat custy about a front yard mess. An oak fell into a poplar which fell into a beech. No wind but the oak was growing around a stream and the lower roots were black with rot. He said it also had about a 25* lean for many years (phototropism related). It finally went this morning at 4:51am. His neighbor was awake and had the windows open and said he prayed nothing hit a house. Plenty of high tie in points. We’re just going to make it safe and chip the smaller stuff.

Attachments

• IMG_0118.jpeg
    IMG_0118.jpeg
    4.3 MB · Views: 4
Back