How'd it go today?

Boss said at 6:00 am “standby and we’ll reevaluate at 10:00 am. (We had about 5” of snow which wasn’t removed by county crews yet) I dug out my parents since my dad is no longer capable after the bypass surgery he underwent about 2 months ago. Headed to Home Cheapo to get another shovel and salt. Picked up the water softener salt for $7 a bag which is at least 1/2 price vs the official ice melt salt. Dug ourselves out. Resisted going into work when boss called at 10:30. That is VERY unlike me but it was the first snow day in 2-3 years and I wanted to be around family and neighbors. Only 1 out of 5 plumbers ran calls and only 2 calls at that. Dug out a couple senior neighbors and sledded with the kids. It was a good day.

That's so gnarly. This picture is worth a thousand disgusting words. The wanton littering speaks volumes. Is that Vitamin water? Healthy for the consumer, not for the planet, apparently.

No doubt. Don't forget the used cottons and bent, charred spoons and latex tourniquets! Perhaps a few of those cheap, transparent crack lighters for those too stingy to buy a Bic.
Bic sucks. Script has like a 7 pack with adjustable flame. I've had a Spanish made Clipper that was good.

Bic sucks. Script has like a 7 pack with adjustable flame. I've had a Spanish made Clipper that was good.
Yeah, well, you may get 7 lighters with an adjustable flame, but you also get 7 flint wheels that will fly off in the middle of use, well before the gas has been used up. As someone who has smoked a cornucopia of various drugs -- just about anything which requires indirect or direct heat to abuse -- I can say with confidence that there is absolutely zero real need for a lighter with an adjustable flame. Even if you're simply melting a rope with it or lighting your grill, both can be accomplished easily with an average size flame, and that's what a Bic consistently provides, along with physical construction that will last the lighter's entire lifetime. And if you actually do need a hotter flame, upgrading to a butane torch is the best way to address that situation. Don't change the flame size, change to a hotter burning gas. Thankfully, I have zero need for lighters anymore. =-D

I was a zippo guy back when i smoked, and carried one for a long time after i had quit. I think i still have one on the door in the truck, they make good strikers for lighting torches, weedburners and camp stoves, and there's a reason they have a lifetime guarantee. If you're lighting other things where you want a cleaner flame a refillable butane torch lighter works really well. Around the house i often use a soldering torch that lights as you pull the trigger for lighting stuff too, and if i need more I'll get the weedburner. I'll use the weedburner to dry stuff, any of my welding tables are metal so you just blast em with the weedburner and melt all the snow and water off them. That's how you dry off your mud board in the morning or if it gets wet, just lean it on the pipe and hit it with the flamethrower.

Zippos are great. Aside from making fire, they're also a portable light source that has zero chance of exploding in your hand, though that's less interesting these days with ubiquitous cell phones.

Bics are easily the best disposable lighters. After a bic was done, I could harvest the flint for my zippo, and they would still be so long after use, I'd have to snap them to fit. I'm currently using an expended bic to ignite a broken Chinese disposable I found on the ground. I'm on my third(at least) shitty disposable igniting with that bic. Aside from all that, they're easy to de-childproof. Stick some needle nose pliers in the top, yank out the flintwheel band, and you pretty much have an old school easy to use lighter. No buttons or other bullshit to deal with. They still have a flintwheel brake to prevent lighting using two hands, but that's easy to override if you bring your man hands.

As an actual smoker, currently, of tobacco and a medical Marijuana patient, I can say Bic is best. Scripto is false economy, sure you get 7 lighters, too bad not a damn one works. Zippo lighters are awesome, and Ronsonol is the best fuel to use in them, so good in fact that Zippo branded lighter fluid, is just rebottled Ronsonol. Butane torches are for ignorant crackheads. Propane torches are cheaper, more efficient, and if you need the few degrees more heat for something, get the smoke wrench.

Well after the prep and no sleep it got cancelled. Apparently I had to abstain from having my chew for 24 hours prior. My fault for thinking that when the instructions said no smoking after midnight meant I could have a pinch the day before. Have to reschedule🤬.
Boss called everyone off today. 3 degrees with a wind chill of -15 this morning. I’m debating on going outside and getting something done or just not do a dang thing all day.

I may or may not make my appointment. Local roads have been nearly impassable for days. My prescription for the laxative liquid has been mail ordered for over a week and is still not here for the same reason.

I have another day for it to arrive, but I'm not holding my breath. I doubt we'd want to make the drive anyway, it's still bad out. Could change, it's warming and rain is forecast, but the current ice is thick and hard.

Yeah, well, you may get 7 lighters with an adjustable flame, but you also get 7 flint wheels that will fly off in the middle of use, well before the gas has been used up. As someone who has smoked a cornucopia of various drugs -- just about anything which requires indirect or direct heat to abuse -- I can say with confidence that there is absolutely zero real need for a lighter with an adjustable flame. Even if you're simply melting a rope with it or lighting your grill, both can be accomplished easily with an average size flame, and that's what a Bic consistently provides, along with physical construction that will last the lighter's entire lifetime. And if you actually do need a hotter flame, upgrading to a butane torch is the best way to address that situation. Don't change the flame size, change to a hotter burning gas. Thankfully, I have zero need for lighters anymore. =-D
I like an adjustable flame in case the lighter is cold when I want to use it. Turning up the gas helps when it's low too, and if you need to use it a lot since much use cools the fluid. And, I often run into the issue of lighters just not producing enough flame (once again usually from cool temps) and it's nice to be able to take it apart and set back the adjusting lever a few ticks to give it a healthy warm temp flame on the lowest setting, and a functional cold temp flame on high, which might blow itself out in warm temps.

But, I'm usually trying to light stuff on fire or get things hot, not starting an ember on dry cigs.

Re the Bics- (lordy the House covers it all :dude: ), I have a Bic "multi purpose" , I use it to light the wood stove, it won't spark anymore though loads of fuel left, I could just toss it but like John, I don't prefer to do that, suggestions?

Off today. Listening to classical, drinking brandy, and looking at the snow. Took care of some of my yearly donations, and ordered parts for the chipper. $130 shipped for for 6 nuts/bolts and a hydraulic strainer D^:
Off again today. I got my shipment of parts already. It was $24 shipping, but 24hr turnaround is hard to complain about. That'll be good to know if there's ever something urgently needed. Strainer doesn't look like much. It was suggested to just remove the one I have and clean it, but it was worth the price of admission to see what it looks like brand new. When I change the hydraulic fluid again, I'll swap strainers and clean the one that's in there to prep for the next time. I might be able to just cycle them back and forth.

I have a question about the hydraulic tank. I was gonna wait til I was sure of what I was dealing with, but since it came up... When I dumped the fluid, I took a quick look in the tank, and it looked like it was covered in tar. I'm guessing it was never cleaned, and cleaning it myself is giving me pause. It looks like it'll be a real SOB to properly clean, and there's a decent chance of cleaning it well enough that pieces of the new interior shell will be flaking off forever.

Question... Should I just leave it alone. Consider the tar coating a permanent part of the tank, or remove the tank, and take it somewhere for a professional cleaning?

Re the Bics- (lordy the House covers it all :dude: ), I have a Bic "multi purpose" , I use it to light the wood stove, it won't spark anymore though loads of fuel left, I could just toss it but like John, I don't prefer to do that, suggestions?

Get another lighter, or find one somewhere that still sparks. Hold the button down on the fluid lighter, and spark it with the other one. If you're sparking it with a dead lighter, it's helpful to remove the wind shield from the sparker. Gives a wider spread to the sparks.

I already do that, just wondering about "repair" :|: of the lighter

You'd have to find like parts. I've rebuilt disposables, but it can be a bit of a bastard, and I'm not sure it really makes sense. I do it just cause I can.

As an alternative, I'd suggest these sexy things...

Code:
https://www.amazon.com/Three-Stars-Swedish-Safety-Matches/dp/B0CMJN2F65/ref=sr_1_6?dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.gJPo8XnG9N_-R021VLdnoEnN4ZHHROdN7y9rp7TQ4TNCvIz_9fUCVkPaegF1_aBYTVhADsgUq4RoRdk2WQGwI3gXUtLFQumiyfHk_TzAHvsE4NAxVRWpgQ94WkR8LI9gAVR2WQpYsCqy1SP8U6cKPBaXIkvZeBvxC9j0MRT_b3FS9DxhwxiEByvtmpXn4-8TiMMZCyadt8k5bUwlPRsVnMekGi3_95a6bkUqgNhZ4cFFbaDrglTmTDPT0WP2-1x1xtq7GUU6P7BaZdNscoKnkeIBFtq1pYg3WG_uA1NBaDI.3IRvjo9lUqQV9JaYkBzPOF_t-z9ZLzJR-viV03vFe4I&dib_tag=se&keywords=3+star+matches&qid=1705528864&sr=8-6

Made from renewable resources, and aside from the plastic overwrap, the refuse can be burnt or recycled. A little expensive, but it's a classy looking box to set near the woodstove.

@lxskllr
I wouldn’t be overly worried about cleaning the hydro tank if you drained it and flushed it. Most particles should settle to the bottom and what would float should be caught by the filter. I’ve seen several pump failures but they have all had several thousand hours on them. Water is probably one of the higher reasons for failure and heat being up there as well.
@cory just buy a new one or get a zippo and keep it forever. I hate those dang grill lighters. The long lighters that only work once or twice and then become a hit or miss on working properly.

Rescheduled with the Dr for next Wednesday. Maybe I’ll just quit chewing so I shouldn’t screw this one up.

Back