How'd it go today?

I have a big spool of plain wire I use for BS stuff, and I have a few smaller spools of epoxy coat I use for better things. I love tiewire. Life's simple pleasures :^D

Carlton seems a touch harder than Oregon, but it could be all in my head. It's the same company :shrugs: Stihl is definitely the best, but I'm not sure it's worth the list price my old dealer sold it for. My new dealer is much more reasonable, and it's only a small premium over Oregon.

Boss screwed around all morning, and I did nothing at all. He went out for lunch, I said "screw it", and went to pond to cut more trees, and get them chipped. Kinda pisses me off being held captive. We gonna work or not? I don't give a shit either way, but I have stuff I can do. Nice weather isn't gonna be here forever.

Speaking of nice weather; Snow! It looks like it might be accumulating snow too. It won't be a ton, but I think kids will be able to go sledding tomorrow. That's the definition of a "real snow". It has to be sleddable :^)

edit:
Oh, and I put some thermal bubble wrap is Spot's house. It came with some perishables I ordered a couple years ago, and I saved it just for this use. I hadn't put it in til now. I was little afraid the shininess would be offputting, but it's gonna be cold as shit this week, and I think she'll like it. It's a space blanket kind of material bubbleized. There isn't a ton of it, but if she presses up against it, I think it'll feel noticeably warmer.

Well, following the loss of my license, I had been living very close to the city of Boston and there is an abundance of public transportation available. Quite literally there was nowhere that I needed to go which I couldn't access via public transportation and it became very convenient to travel around to work and appointments and to friend's/family's houses/apartments this way.

It wasn't until three years ago, after moving to Arizona, that the absence of a license began to actually affect me. Arizona has horrible public transportation and I've often had to resort to taking Lyfts and Ubers everywhere, which can sometimes get expensive. Nevertheless, despite then being in a situation where I would definitly benefit from having a license and a car, there was no chance in hell that I was going to be able to afford even a used car until I had saved up significantly over the course of a few years.

Fast forward to today, and I'm definitely going to pursue getting a license after I return to MA and I am financially closer to being able to buy a used vehicle of some type, even though I'll be back to where the public transportation is premiere.

So not having a license/car began as a life choice for many, many years, and I didn't feel limited whatsoever in where I could go. But now it no longer is a choice and I plan on taking action to get both a license and a car very soon.
Thanks. I see that you and I just have entirely different requirements for a mode of transport :). If I lived in a big city like Boston, I'd have a very imperative desire to escape said city as frequently and as far away as possible. Public transport would not get it done :). Just getting to "work and appointments and to friend's/family's houses/apartments" wouldn't meet my needs at all.

Again, not judging; it's interesting how different peeps can be.

Kaveman, driving a stick and backing up a trailer are also must knows for girls too! When your daughter gets to driving age, be sure to teach her 😊
Who says I'm waiting that long? Ma'am, we live very "rural", she gets to drive down our dirt road and all over the forest, sitting on my lap, like the gods intended. Start em early, no harm in lots of practice.

Thanks. I see that you and I just have entirely different requirements for a mode of transport :). If I lived in a big city like Boston, I'd have a very imperative desire to escape said city as frequently and as far away as possible. Public transport would not get it done :). Just getting to "work and appointments and to friend's/family's houses/apartments" wouldn't meet my needs at all.

Again, not judging; it's interesting how different peeps can be.
TONS of people in the big cities don't own a car and it's by choice. I get where you're coming from and don't get me confused. Throughout my entire time not owning a car, if I had somehow come into more money, I would have for sure bought a car and said f*ck public transportation. There was a financial obstacle that forced public transportation to be my preference, first and foremost. For quite some time, I was spending exorbitant sums of money on drugs and, at the time, I chose getting high over getting a vehicle. Anyways, the reasoning behind my decision to use public transportation is multifaceted. That's all I'm saying. :)

Carlton seems a touch harder than Oregon, but it could be all in my head. It's the same company :shrugs: Stihl is definitely the best, but I'm not sure it's worth the list price my old dealer sold it for. My new dealer is much more reasonable, and it's only a small premium over Oregon.

Boss screwed around all morning, and I did nothing at all. He went out for lunch, I said "screw it", and went to pond to cut more trees, and get them chipped. Kinda pisses me off being held captive. We gonna work or not? I don't give a shit either way, but I have stuff I can do. Nice weather isn't gonna be here forever.

Speaking of nice weather; Snow! It looks like it might be accumulating snow too. It won't be a ton, but I think kids will be able to go sledding tomorrow. That's the definition of a "real snow". It has to be sleddable :^)

edit:
Oh, and I put some thermal bubble wrap is Spot's house. It came with some perishables I ordered a couple years ago, and I saved it just for this use. I hadn't put it in til now. I was little afraid the shininess would be offputting, but it's gonna be cold as shit this week, and I think she'll like it. It's a space blanket kind of material bubbleized. There isn't a ton of it, but if she presses up against it, I think it'll feel noticeably warmer.
All the carlton ive used has been far harder and better chrome than oregon, was glad to wear out those loops, which didnt take long.

surprisingly ive had good results using Ayao chain, have had a loop on the 024 in .325 063 semi, and its turned out to be quite a hard chain, up there with stihl hardness, chrome good, its stays sharp, even in really dirty dead firewood ive been sorting with it. I didnt expect it to last as well as it has between sharpens.

Ayao chain
I assume that's Chinese? No problems with hardness? I've had the displeasure of fooling with around five Chinese chains of at least two brands, and every one had hardness problems. Usually it's the rakers, where only some are too hard to file, but one chain also had overly hard teeth. It's never the whole chain either. It's a component here and there. Very bad QC. I wouldn't use a Chinese chain if it were given to me, aside from a death run through a rootball, or something like that.

I assume that's Chinese? No problems with hardness? I've had the displeasure of fooling with around five Chinese chains of at least two brands, and every one had hardness problems. Usually it's the rakers, where only some are too hard to file, but one chain also had overly hard teeth. It's never the whole chain either. It's a component here and there. Very bad QC. I wouldn't use a Chinese chain if it were given to me, aside from a death run through a rootball, or something like that.
yeah, its chinga chain, got it to try, thought it could be acceptable for other firewood chaps about that didnt want to pay local stealership prices at the stihl shop, it surprised me. Marketing is that its german steel made in chinga factory etc.
My personal choice is still stihl, husky/ carlton if you can get the older stuff, after that, its quite a drop off.

edited to add.
the other firewood friends have bought all sorts of cheap junk, some I would refuse to even put a file on, as un even hardness, some so hard they damaged the file, poorly factory sharpened and overheated teeth etc.

Last edited:
Appreciating the snow. Work talks a big game about not being on the roads if slippery but I know darn well we’re gonna be runnin calls tomorrow.

Got to sled and have a snowball fight in the dark with my 2 oldest from 7:00-8:30 this evening. Luckily, we’re close with the folks across the street and they have a steep hill. It may not look like much in the picture but you launch into the street and hop the curb and travel all the way to the front of our house.

Attachments

• IMG_8225.jpeg
    IMG_8225.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 7
Whatcha think about Husky X mark chain? It’s been decent to me. Never tried Stihl chain except for on a 020AV.
Not tried the x cut stuff yet, most who have used in hard euc said it was the same issues with normal chisel chain, didnt last in the dry stuff, good on green stuff tho.

Edited to add.
Those who had it were a bit annoyed that they had to get new files and guides as well as the file being only available thru husky.

Last edited:
Come on John, everyone is doing it😆
It’s a few degrees warmer but it seems colder than yesterday. Still getting things done though. I went in early to help get things started and we had a little snow storm appear. Boss decided we could have our yearly drug education class till the roads got better. Was nice for us driving to the job but now I’m kind of rushing because I have to leave early so I can go home and start drinking some sort of concoction the dr prescribed to clean me out before a procedure. Turned 45 so I was told it’s time to do this.

My turn in that barrel is in just a couple of days. Sympathies. For what it's worth, the prep is the worst part of it. They have really good drugs for the procedure :).

That’s what they told me but I feel better hearing from others. The not eating is rough enough. I’ll be getting grouchy by dinner time. I don’t imagine that elixir will taste pleasant either. Hoping all goes well and I don’t need to deal with this again for ten more years.
Cameron is blowing the driveway off and then I’ll headed home. Hoping with the day off tomorrow I’ll be able to function enough to split some wood or something. I don’t want a zero sum day.

Back