How'd it go today?

Noisewall job today. Routine boring stuff. Brought the rest of the pine boards I milled home. They smelled like pinesol. Never really got that scent from pine wood before. Currently trying to splice the other end of my treemaster flipline. I wasn't really happy with the first one, and I somehow made this one worse. Gonna cut it out and try again. Not sure why I have so much trouble counting to 3 :^S

Gonna cut it out and try again
maybe im stupid (ok I am)
but why cut it? isnt treemaster the hard lay style 3 strand? I always pulled the tucks out, re twisted and started from scratch losing almost zero length on the rope

if its soft lay I can see how it would lose the natural "bend" around itself and not re twist

It's hard as a rock. I couldn't get the strands out without really messing them up. I have room to play with. It started as a 35' section, so about 5' of splicing so far, and it's still more flipline than I need. If I screwup the next one, that'll probably be it. I'll just use the first eye I did which is good enough, but imperfect, and leave the mess on the other end. It'll work as a stopper if nothing else.

edit:
I'm starting to pull them, and I can salvage some of the rope. I won't be retucking the same strands, but I can use the ones they were tucked under as the free strands.

Last edited:
Get some stringline and make constrictor knots on the individual strands, that helps them keep their lay. Leave the ends of the constructors long so you can feed them first and then pull the strand through. Take a fid, or if you're like me a spud wrench and jam it where the tuck is gonna go to spread it open, or you can make a hollow fid out of pipe. When you finish drop it on the floor and roll it back and forth with your foot on the splice, that'll fair it all out and even it up, before you do that it'll look pretty rough. Then you can trim the ends, or better yet taper them and finish a few more tucks. I think it's 5 full tucks too, so i do them then the taper. I usually like to do a whipping over the final trimming so it keeps that protected and secured. It's a good workout and will really work the hands, i think i would rather splice wire rope since at least with that you don't need to fight the tucks as bad :lol:

I once made a hollow fid out of pipe, and because i did a really nice job and made it out of stainless i can't find it at the moment :lol: I think i used 3/4 pipe, cut it at a really flat angle, and then welded another pipe on for a handle. Basically like a tire plug tool, you shove the point in between the strands and then tuck the end in the pipe. When you pull out the strand will be in place and you just pull it tight. Makes doing 3 strand a breeze, if/when i find it I'll get a pic before i misplace it again.

Pat hosted a rec climb today. 3 total. John had to work😔. Climbed 2 nice white oaks.

Attachments

• C082DA43-BE64-4CE1-9028-8FDFA3066BA2.jpeg
    C082DA43-BE64-4CE1-9028-8FDFA3066BA2.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 12
  • 41A6BA0A-450F-4D1E-BEE6-D772771ABD1B.jpeg
    41A6BA0A-450F-4D1E-BEE6-D772771ABD1B.jpeg
    4.7 MB · Views: 11
  • CB3C2542-019B-4A16-BFEF-E12DA3784061.jpeg
    CB3C2542-019B-4A16-BFEF-E12DA3784061.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 11
  • DDFC837E-CA65-4067-97B0-209025179C6F.jpeg
    DDFC837E-CA65-4067-97B0-209025179C6F.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 11
  • 1311F58F-0B95-49F4-BF1B-39F68FFBDB1F.jpeg
    1311F58F-0B95-49F4-BF1B-39F68FFBDB1F.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 12
  • 717E398A-F5BD-4298-942F-436B054B8E5D.jpeg
    717E398A-F5BD-4298-942F-436B054B8E5D.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 14
  • 74808D1E-8B2F-4A05-AEB8-9AC760F7AF12.jpeg
    74808D1E-8B2F-4A05-AEB8-9AC760F7AF12.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 12
  • 12DA283E-838C-4B0A-B10D-6023B8F711B6.jpeg
    12DA283E-838C-4B0A-B10D-6023B8F711B6.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 12
  • 5EC3A78A-49EA-421B-A084-EF376FA1729A.jpeg
    5EC3A78A-49EA-421B-A084-EF376FA1729A.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 12
Third time's a... Still sucks, but it's the best one yet. I'm really enjoying the marlinspike holes in my hand...

must be some reallllly hard rope, 3 strand normally goes together easy for me
that hands gonna feel great tomorrow!

If I lead a good clean life, I hopefully will never have to splice treemaster again :^D

The ½" was a hassle, but I was able to do it with a marlinspike. The ⅝" takes it to a whole new level. Couldn't imagine doing ¾" or 1" D^:

If I lead a good clean life, I hopefully will never have to splice treemaster again :^D

The ½" was a hassle, but I was able to do it with a marlinspike. The ⅝" takes it to a whole new level. Couldn't imagine doing ¾" or 1" D^:
so, is it stiff like a wirecore lanyard? hevent played with treemaster

Very stiff. It breaks in after awhile, but I think it would take a very long while using it as a flipline. I was using ½" treemaster for skidding logs, and it became broken in when it was about half worn out, and I still wouldn't call it a soft rope. The stuff wears like iron. If you need a durable rope, they don't come much tougher. Normal caveats applying to 3strand rope apply. It rotates under load, and has a fair amount of stretch, though it's harder to see in the treemaster. It also hates to give up knots. If you load a knot with a heavy pull, you'll have a good challenge getting it apart.

well I guess im gonna buy some to try!
I like rope I can beat on, cost too much for ropes that cant natural crotch worth a darn

Should be great for that. It's definitely a rope you can beat on. If you get any, consider cutting a short length off to use as a prusik on it. Saves a lot of hassle dealing with knots, and trying to get them out. I guess other prusik cords would work too, but it works well on itself, and has the durability to match at a low cost.

Spent a few hrs snaking our drains today. 82 yr old house.
I reckon our grey water from the bathroom, and the loo sewage end up in the same pipe somewhere.
There is another vent pipe next to where the shower and sink go (a clay trap with an air bend), and when you flush the loo, you can hear it in the second pipe...and when I had the snake down the grey water and the power washer going in it....there was a breeze coming back out the second pipe.
No one has any idea what goes where, only that it goes, until it doesn't.

I was out redoing my truck storage, and forgot I got this Friday. It's a road trinket the dirt foreman found and gave to me. The base has leds, and shines through the lexan. USB powered. I can have fun with that, even though the lexan's lame.

IMG_20230409_135021953_HDR.jpg

I impulsively bought an audiobook from audible a few months ago. I didn't consider whether or not it had drm(it does), so my book was unplayable in anything but the audible app, and if their servers quit working for whatever reason, my book will no longer exist for all intents and purposes. I finally got around to cracking it today, and now have a set of files that'll play anywhere, on anything. I'll never buy another audible book, but I'm glad I now own the one I do have.

BTW, that lightup thingy I got is pretty cool. The lights give the pic a cool effect, and you can cycle colors and stuff. I scraped the pic off with a razor blade, but left the "media player" controls. The scuffs I made scraping it off light up really nice. I might try carving something into it as light up art. Problem is, I'm not good at that stuff. I have to consider how to proceed. Maybe find something easy enough to trace on it that I can do.

I like my audible books and I have Faith in Their Servers.:big-not-worthy:

But I think it's awesome you know how to jack that shit.

What's with the pic, did the kid die?

I don't know what that is. I suspect it's a vanity thing, where you get your pic put on a plaque with the song of your choice. I looked it up on youtube, and for the couple minutes I watched the terribad song, I didn't see anyone that looked like him. Also, the background behind him looks suspiciously suburban, and not very ghetto :^D I think it's just some kid.

Had a good day. Spent time with family. My brothers and I looked at my parents deck around the pool and have decided it needs re done. It’s held up for 27 years. Bad part is dad built it over time so it’s many small decks built into one. Gonna be fun trying to make the surface look right. Probably going to have to reconfigure the structural supports a bit.

Well my wife’s grandma passed today surrounded by those who loved her. It was a beautiful sunny, not quite that warm with the breeze, day. I think if you had to check out today was a good day to do it. Tears shed and stories told but laughter won the out. Hard part is her hubby of 64 years lives on in relative good health alone in a big house.

Back