How'd it go today?

Cory,
It is a nice workbench - the kids say that when Tony decided to start doing woodworking it was the first thing he built! Finished sorting out all the tools from his shop.

The only item I found during sorting that was ‘personalized’ was this Stanley chisel. Nothing special as far as chisels go, but it is engraved with his name, by his hand, in his script.

Threw together this plaque for his daughter and son-in-law.
I’ll mail it tomorrow. Yes, I blunted the tool edge - wouldn’t want anyone cutting themselves! T-slots on the back in case they choose to hang it up.

AD8CF57D-6D15-4BD1-ABA1-EFF7F2064071.jpeg

8ADF4BC5-EC9D-476B-A6CD-2B8431493E7F.jpeg

273D27FD-D044-4795-A4FB-9C9DFFF702FF.jpeg

90DF3022-C3D0-49CD-B2A0-CB2458932A6B.jpeg

You continue to amaze. :headbang: :headbang:

How did you afix the chisel to the plaque, two screws into the handle? Glue on the screws, too? Drill press to drill the handle?

Boss texted me this morning saying he had to help his girlfriend setup her flower sale tent(s). I went in and broke wood. I bucked it last year and left it in the woods. This particular clump I had to haul out of a hole, split it, throw the pieces 20' to the bottom of a brash pile, then throw it another 20' over the pile near the truck. It was a hassle, but that part's done.

IMG_20230404_090636144_HDR.jpg

I went down to look at the trees that broke. I think I was in both of them last year. One snapped halfway up, and the other near the bottom. That one was pretty ugly...

IMG_20230404_091817647_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230404_091753401_HDR.jpg

Of course none of the standing dead fell. We want to keep those! :^S

Sitting in the parking lot at the office. Too nice to go inside. I'll give boss til 10 to get here, otherwise I'll go home.

Just about! That's a new subdivision I worked on. It abuts the farm on the back side.

edit:
I also found this knife in the woods. Chinese junk from the local farm store. I touched up the edge, and I'll give it to the boss. Might be his anyway. He loses everything, sometimes even my stuff :^O

IMG_20230404_095142913_HDR.jpg

edit2:
Boss actually showed up almost exactly at 10, but he had more stuff to do. Asked if I wanted to work this afternoon. That's a stupid question. I'm not gonna spend most of the day screwing around, then go out late, ruin my day, and not make much money. I considered deadwooding the hemlocks by the drive at work, but didn't really feel like it. Not much danger to the service lines since most are small, so it would have been all cosmetic. Maybe sometime in the future.

Last edited:
Hackberry down, poplar a mile down the road also down, I think we are finishing up chipper the brush from the cursed job in a bit

2 jobs almost done by 3pm, I might have 4 or 5 done today

My shoulder is doing better but not good yet

Attachments

• 20230404_140228.jpg
    20230404_140228.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20230404_100204_01.jpg
    IMG_20230404_100204_01.jpg
    5.6 MB · Views: 11
Curious about why you left all the stubs.

Removing back weight to fell into the field?
yep, removing weight
left the stubs because the wood was getting too large for my 194 and they werent going to be an issue with snagging or hanging stuff up, plus I didnt feel like wrestling with a big saw with my shoulder the way it is

no rigging on that tree, or climbing so not much danger leaving them

yep, removing weight
left the stubs because the wood was getting too large for my 194 and they werent going to be an issue with snagging or hanging stuff up, plus I didnt feel like wrestling with a big saw with my shoulder the way it is

no rigging on that tree, or climbing so not much danger leaving them
Light weight saws are where is at.

Spring Break!

RADS with an Akimbo in the elm tree.
Tree house progress, this week.
20230404_180709.jpg

About 50 small plants--- Doug fir, western white pine, geary oak, madrona, snowberry bushes.

20230404_182709.jpg

pumpkin muffin with butter cream, drizzled with caramel and chocolate.
20230404_142329.jpg

Hampster maze!
20230403_145002.jpg

A nice young couple is settling in on my property. I hope they will help with chicken chores, should I get some, soon. I've got the chicken run to set up, after moving the coop, all of which I got from a customer.

See if they want to share produce, if I invest materials, and they do the growing.

I've offered them sawmill wood to build a small entry way, covered deck that would overhang the roof around the rv entry door, allowing the rv to be used, offsite, easily, while having a wind and rain cover for their door, as both wind and rain come from the passenger side.

She's a Certified Arborist from Vegas. Both work at Trader Joe's, currently.
20230331_174052.jpg

Light weight saws are where is at.
ive got a 261 but its blown up, (was scored and low compression when I bought it, then got worse, might have been that time I grabbed the wrong can and straight gassed all my saws one time)
I need to fix that thing, you ran a 400c? im thinking of getting that since its like best of both worlds comparing the 261 and 500

Vics vapor rub on the eyelids helps pull the heat out a bit so it feels a bit better, don't get it in your eyes tho! Wearing safety glasses blocks uv light so that doesn't happen as bad, even clear ones work.

Whuts that wood splitter doin in your garage, big jim?

Back