How'd it go today?

I was thinking of all the room he would get if he got rid of the suspended ceiling. Abandoned schools make excellent barns/ shops, common practice here too, but often have lots of lead and asbestos.

The hoop is on a winch. Great for hanging beef. That's as high as we can stack anyway. It's a 100 bed reform school. There are pigs in the boys dorm wing and chickens in the girls wing, also known as the Hog Leg and the Chicken Wing. I call the whole place the Chicken Bacon Ranch.

My dad was a teacher, so I've been in schools a bunch with no one there. They are exceptionally quiet with no one there tho, I'll give you that.

It makes perfect sense, to me being in an empty school is normal so abandoned ones are just a really well built building. Even when i got in the fitters working in them is almost always done in the summer so they're empty, having kids around while you're working is always a stressful situation so i prefer them empty for that too. They simply mean something different to you because of your experiences in life are different than mine, and i didn't expect that someone might have a negative connotation about it. Thx

Got the injector and glow plug harnesses all buttoned up and 4 injectors replaced. Did the passenger Side first. Drivers side tomorrow. Should get a test start tomorrow. Got hot, smokey and a tad loud with the helos and dc 10 flying over me.
Time to bbq some hamburgers.
We should be over 15000 acres now. Another start North in Coulterville so some resources were sent there.

Last edited:
We took the kids to the drive in movie theater last night. Everyone except my wife fell asleep during the second movie. Got up this morning and dropped them off to hang out with grandpa. We went to camp and mowed. I also cut the downed trees from across the trails. It’s been a busy week and weekend. I think I’m heading off to bed in a few minutes.

I took a look at the trees behind the farm. Got the crispy crittter(hickory?)...

IMG_20220725_115727297_HDR.jpg

The left leader on a tulip poplar...

IMG_20220725_115756094_HDR.jpg

Part or maybe all of a silver maple. Dead stuff first, then see what it looks like...

IMG_20220725_115811977_HDR.jpg

All wood gets left on site. Any thoughts on what the work's worth?

Yea, that's understood. I'll be bidding at well under market due to the nature of my "business", but I don't want to be stupid about it either. I'd guesstimate this area would slightly favor the high side of national scale. Somewhere between Berkley CA, and nowhere MS.

Really debating a new mini skid today. Talked to the dealer this morning. Around 50k for the Vermeer 160. It has almost triple the lift capacity of the 650tx on paper. Need to search for a fair price on the 650 with 3300 hours so I know what my bargaining room is. Also debating the bmg or Vermeer grapple for the new one

Back