How'd it go today?

Well, it finally knit during the night. Now to keep it as immobile as possible for a few days for the initial healing to get going. Doc said to start light movement at three weeks, then check on therapy. I told him my goals were likely way beyond their goals so I’ll handle my own therapy.

Crime: using a top handle on the ground.
Reminder I am careless: 1 week out at least.
Thought it was a flesh wound, finished the job and then the adrenaline wore out.
8 stitches later I learned that I pass out at the sight of blood squirting out of my body. 1 week minimum until we can contemplate taking the stitches out and climbing a rope. The doc did wonders stitching the opening.

Attachments

• 20210920_154545.jpg
    20210920_154545.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1
Boss said he had a bunch of office stuff to do, and told me to take a couple days off. I hauled some logs out of the woods on my project next to the office, and played around with my new poulanpro. I got the idle right, but damned if I can hear it 4stroking. I have a bad ear for this stuff. Y'all reckon if I have the high screw 2+ turns out, I'm at least safe? I started 1.25 out, and kept bumping it a bit trying to hear the motor change sound, and never did.

It's a dog in the wood, but has a (factory)inappropriate setup imo. It's 20" bar with full comp ⅜" chain(might have been skip from the factory) on a 50cc saw. It'll cut an 18" pine log if you're easy on the saw, and let it work, but dog it in, and it dies in the cut.

edit:
forgot. One of the logs I dragged out of the woods got hung up on something. Heard a loud *POP*, and thought I broke my line. Got out of the truck to check it, and it was still tight, so I kept on pulling. My prusik fused to the line, and I had to beat it apart with a hammer. Rope and prusik are probably pretty degraded at this point, but good enough for dragging logs. I wouldn't trust it to anything aerial.

Last edited:
My older Poulan was pretty good. It was still in the "bad" years, but probably used more original design. Worst thing I can say about it is no av, so it made my fingers tingle. All for less than the cost of a Stihl shop bill. After Husqvarna started monkeying with it, you got to the two I have now. Mushy av, so my fingers don't tingle, but mystery tuning problems, one of which seemed to be fixed by slamming it on the truck tailgate, and flimsy plastic.

There's a problem in that paragraph somewhere, and I don't think it's "Poulan" ;^)

Tshirt here for the foreseeable future. Coldest I've seen so far is ~56° on the drive in. That's still window down Tshirt weather. Hot and humid today. 78° and about a zillion% humidity. I was gonna go to the office and work on my project, but it's too hot for that. Maybe this weekend.

Finally upgraded my phone. Been putting it off. New phone has a 40mp selfie camera, 108mp rear camera, two other rear cameras, half a tb of storage, and films in 8k. I got a free vacuum flask that will charge my phone twice. Or is it a charger that will hold not quite enough coffee? Forgot to ask if the phone can still make calls. Don't really do that much anymore. :/:

I certainly need to be in the mood to actually speak to clients/suppliers/accounts people.

Doing it in another language requires concentration, which is not easy in the van with the dog badgering you for tummy rubs and me having just come down out of the tree.

Finished up day 2 of a 4 tree take down for a friend (3 Norway Maples, all 75-85ft and multi-stemmed, and a fugly Pin Oak about 80ft, 38" DBH, about 46" at the base), Me and temporary brush monkey got the 2 smaller Maples down, flush cut, chipped and logs into the trailer (chipped both to fill the chip truck 85% full, 4+ yards of logs for dump; damn, I love my chipper!!!). Got home early and pleasantly found the following delivered:

daily_pic.jpg

Thanks to the following for making all these possible:

Gerry and Patrick (Educated Climber) for the original TGFTW and the newly available, affordable reprint.
@cory for a great book to help me id dead trees.
Random E-Bay seller for the best Van Halen CD (IMHO); $1.99, and still new in shrink wrap.
Outdoor Limited for the kick ass pricing and availability (all things considered due to market/supply chain issues).

Back