How'd it go today?

I hate BMGs AKA the retard grapple. Floppy piece of junk that turns where it wants and usually in the wrong direction despite my best efforts. The boss says he's looking to get a vermeer log grapple someday. I sure hope he does.

I won't run anything other than a BMG. I have run a Vermeer grapple and the BMG is by far superior, and power rotation on a mini grapple is a waste of lift capacity. IMO.

I hate BMGs AKA the retard grapple. Floppy piece of junk that turns where it wants and usually in the wrong direction despite my best efforts. The boss says he's looking to get a vermeer log grapple someday. I sure hope he does.
You need lessons is all. I get off my mini to position my BMG grapple about once per year. Does all sorts of tricks. I'm surprised Dave Nordgaard hasn't made a video.

I'll try to find a tripod for my phone and take some video.

I haven't been off of my mini in years, many, to position my BMG. Longer material VS. shorter is better coming up to the chipper.

My problem is it is not a log manager grapple, and I do a lot of work with logs. It's not bad with brush, but still much less efficient than the vermeer log grapple. I only get off when I lose patience with it want it in perfect position first try because I like to keep the pace up. I mean, it's 2 steps to jump off and position it and 2 steps back, so I don't see what the problem is with getting off when it is no slower than positioning it with the machine when it decides to act up. I have become pretty skilled with it, I think, maybe nowhere near as good as you guys, but I think I'm about as good as it gets, but still it is so sloppy and has limitations allowing for fewer tricks than what the vermeer can do. Of course, the particular model I'm using might not be the best out there either.

The vermeer grapple does not have power rotation as far as I know, and I hope they didn't add it on. I really liked the one I used a few years ago.

When loading logs, particularly in the chip truck, but still in the dump trailer. The big back plate blocks my view when loading the chip truck and gets in the way around the sides of the chip box, and when trying to use one log to push another, and pretty much all the time such that I can't see which way the lines are twisted unless I rotate it all the way forward/down. It doesn't have a rotation stop to at least prevent twisting the lines too far, which happened to me once. It takes several tries to stack logs on top of a pile if the ground isn't flat as they will rotate out of line from where I want them to go. It is already a problem that the mini skid can't reach very far in front of itself such that when loading over the side of a trailer where the wheels are, the log will be sticking way out over the edge if it doesn't fall out first. The vermeer grapple not being a dangle style can be rotated up so the jaws stick straight out for both greater reach, and the ability to easily push logs further onto the trailer. The gap between the bigger and smaller jaw is so big that the BMG either easily takes a chunk out of the yard or will simply not grab the bottom pieces in a brush pile.

I will admit I would get off the machine more often with the vermeer grapple simply to lock it in place or unlock it, but other than that, I find it does everything I need the BMG to do except better, and it does it right the first try. I know I will have it rotated in the position I want using gravity by the time I reach a log or brush pile and not have to worry about a slight bump spinning it the wrong way.

I have learned to do a lot well with the BMG, the other guys compliment how well I'm able to run it, and I'm now the designated operator, but find it much less efficient in terms of how fast I can get the job done well.

Yea, that weather can go to hell. If it gets to the point we get many true temps >100°, I think I'll have to move.

That brings up another point. From what I remember, the vermeer log grapple was also better at feeding the chipper, not that there's much to it, but it of course had more control and was overall better.

I don't think the log grapple had a portawrap on it, the only disadvantage I can think of, but a few welds can fix that.

Back