How'd it go today?

Well i had a dr appt in stl this last Monday, all is well. Had a decent week at work, nothing special, and finally started cleaning up the parking lot area on my lot with the backhoe. It's old and slow, but sure beats doing it by hand. Will spread chips on it to keep the weeds down and I'll be good to park trailers on it.

20210620_132136.jpg 20210620_132113.jpg

Probably Chevy. Looks like 99% of all the Chevy2/Novas I saw growing up. The restoration never got any further than a new set of Cragars, and primer :^D

1952 case 320 backhoe, the first ever dedicated construction backhoe. Before that all backhoes were a tractor with a backhoe attachment. When i got it the main paint scheme was rust, so we wire brushed it and threw on whatever paint we had to keep it from rusting, mostly cold galvanized paint.

Yeah, it's still kicking ass, just wayyyyyyy underpowered compared to anything remotely newer. It forces you to dig with technique rather than raw power, which has forced me to be a better operator. It's a 30 hp gas engine, with an old school marvel carb, so it's easy to work on. It needs some heavy tlc, which one day I'll get around to. But for now it keeps rocking.

Kyle, what's with the chain binder on the bucket?

The binder is for a clamp on rake thing i made, I'll hunt down a picture if i can find one. The bucket has shovel teeth so if you try to dig up weeds you do too much digging, with the rake attachment i can grub weeds and leave the dirt and rocks behind. Works great for cleaning up the gravel driveways, which are odd shaped and not long enough to really go at it with normal grading attachments. I'm gathering scrap parts to do a bolt on tooth bar for the loader, and I've already modified it with some angle iron on the heel so you can back drag a bit better since the bucket is rounded so you can't ever get a bite. I'm considering building a box blade thing for it, or a land plane, or something like that. A backhoe isn't that great for grading, so I'm just trying to make it work for me for around the house stuff. The newer ones are far better with buckets shaped for the task, especially the 4 way ones which are awesome.

Decent day, but I didn't do much. Boss set the locust posts I cut over the weekend, so that made me happy. Seems like a lot of the forestry work I do is for my own gratification. I don't get any guidance on what's useful, so I try to find something useful on my own. Not that there isn't plenty to do that's needed in the near term, but I never hear about it til it has to be done *now*, or the moment passed, especially with regards to milling. There's tons(literal) of stuff I could make, but it's hard to get motivated to do something on the off chance it's needed. Alaskan milling is a lot of work, and pretty expensive. I can't get enthused about shoving a saw through a tree /just cause/. So anyway, it's nice having my work get used.

We also wrapped a bald cypress to protect it from beavers. Had to get in a boat to do it. It was partially wrapped with what I had on hand at the time, and it worked for awhile, but they decided to go after an unwrapped part again. Pulled a swamped canoe out of the pond also. Boss wanted to hook it up to a tractor. Lazy as shit. Iron isn't the answer to everything. It moved ok, but you need to be hands on in case it sticks on something, and you can finesse it off. Pulling with a tractor has a good chance of pulling it apart. The boat we used was a little jon boat, and I paddled it with a shovel since there isn't anything on the farm :^D I pulled that out of the pond last year I think.

Lol I'll take some of my clamp on trailer hitch, that's even worse! Very very handy tho, with a pintle it is great for rigging stuff, dragging logs, moving trailers and backing them into tight spots, etc. Finished ripping up weeds in the back for now, so now i got some grading to do, and then start spreading chips. Got a fire going, my burn pile got too big while i was sick so I'm dragging stuff to another pit so i can control it, so I'll have it out tomorrow after work.

Back