How'd it go today?

I've had mixed luck using bendy trees to get over swamp. Sometimes they just don't cooperate, and they dump you in the water, or set you down in a muddier place than you left :^/

My best month so far...

4SF05HA.png

I want to crack 80% some time. Maybe next billing report with all the cold weather we've been having.

Bored... Been spending a lot of time at home due to weather. Brakes are trashed on the truck, so no joy rides. Driving the minimum necessary til it gets in the shop. I still need to get that pine at work. I was hoping it would happen today, but my client postponed the job, and nothing else was going on at the office, so no point going there. I was eying up my white pine this morning. I might dead wood that. I could use the dry firewood :^D Thinking about just freeclimbing it, and lanyarding in to make the cuts. It's an easy climb, and it'll keep the sap off my better ropes.

Their problem. I just let it fall in the hole. They said they can get equipment to make it back to normal for picnickers. Who I am to Judge. I'm just going to chip them and the three others that went with them. Then mill and haul logs.

Another fine mess.
Just bidding this one. But hell. Plenty more where this came from.View attachment 108192
Nice! when you get those big root balls with massive dirt and all little roots sticking out the edges, you know it was a big wind! With no rocks and sharp teeth, I could get that rootball ground in about 30 minutes with the RG-100

Nice score on the 272. That saw is gonna feel reborn when it gets on your jobs!

Last edited:
My big project today, a homemade grapnel...

IMG_20210220_105508.jpg

It's for my work climbing set. I'm a little skeptical it'll hold up to much, but it's free to try, and only took me 15 minutes to make, including fetching the materials, and sawing the wood for a clamp. It's heavy epoxy coat tiewire I picked up on a job site. I'll see how it works in practice, and might realign the arms.

Was going to do nothing today but I talked with a couple of the guys and we decided to work. Trying to finish the swamp clearing before the temps warm to above freezing next week.
my saw got sat down in the snow yesterday and then put away without restarting. Chain was frozen to the bar and brake handle frozen in place. Set it in the cab of the truck and now my truck smells like gas. I’ll just leave the window down and hopefully it goes away before we leave.
Well better get back to the drudgery of red stick dogwood, briars, and hawthorn. Almost done. Embrace the suck

CV, that is one smokin view, wow!!!

my saw got sat down in the snow yesterday and then put away without restarting. Chain was frozen to the bar and brake handle frozen in place.

Rich, were you the culprit or one of the guys. It's a great example of how the little things matter, and lotta times guys don't get it.

“For the want of a nail the shoe was lost,
For the want of a shoe the horse was lost,
For the want of a horse the rider was lost,
For the want of a rider the battle was lost,
For the want of a battle the kingdom was lost,
And all for the want of a horseshoe-nail.”

It was a team effort Cory. I set my saw down because I had to walk up and meet with the project manager and that took us up to quitting time. The guys picked it up and put it away in my tool box

2D6DCE7C-D971-4662-BDA3-AB879DB1E967.jpeg This was at 6:30 this morning when I went to the gas station for my weekly tobacco run. For the rest of the world that’s -22.7*C. No matter if it’s F or C, that’s cold
523DB37C-A8B8-425E-AA40-A649DDBE6CB8.jpeg But I was able to get breakfast in the smoker before that. Taking a bit longer because the temps outside are fighting me but should be ready by 9 am

We have our winter holiday break. Most schools are off for a week and skiing is what most people do.

Stines cousin has a cabin that has been in the family for 40-45 years but they took it over a few years back and it has been a Labour of love ever since. It is a bit of a drive to the mountain resorts but it is in a stunning location.

Arrived today for the week and we have tickets booked at a couple of resorts this week. Chucked my split board in with me as well. So hopefully get some skinning in later in the week.

Basically an old lufthouse with another they bought and attached and then renovated the lot. Hopefully get some nice pictures of the scenery.

FE147B5E-E9FF-4CBA-A302-4035C436311C.jpeg E74DAE26-1CD1-4DAB-9D2A-8758364C9184.jpeg ED8402F6-5E1D-4358-8EC4-E50B1AAE31C6.jpeg

Last edited:
Back