How'd it go today?

Never heard back from the guy but the post has been deleted so I’m guessing it’s gone or he’s not selling it anymore. Oh well. Save myself a few grand and a lot of steering wheel hugging.
on a close enough note, my BIL said he will go in half on a new eastonmade and conveyor. I’ll see how serious he is tomorrow. My guess is he will have an excuse but no big deal. After the powerball drawing tomorrow I won’t care anymore😆

Well, the ice brought a silver maple limb down on the roof, so that'll be fun. Maybe 10 to 12 inch diameter, 40 foot long or so. Minimal damage, but it did get through the shingles and embed in the plywood. What i get for not removing it earlier, thought i had a bit longer with it but guess not. Everything is covered in ice for the moment, and warmer weather comes Monday, so I'll likely wait till then

Well, the ice brought a silver maple limb down on the roof, so that'll be fun. Maybe 10 to 12 inch diameter, 40 foot long or so. Minimal damage, but it did get through the shingles and embed in the plywood. What i get for not removing it earlier, thought i had a bit longer with it but guess not. Everything is covered in ice for the moment, and warmer weather comes Monday, so I'll likely wait till then
You didn't need to take the whole limb off.. just get some significant weight off the end. Depending on species, over-extension and structural condition 5-15'.

Reduction pruning on large horizontal and near-horizontal limbs is a practice that is easy (if you have a lift), extremely effective and nearly completely ignored by Gilman and ANSI, the ISA etc.

Last edited:
It cracked off at the base, had rot on the tension side from a poor pruning cut years ago, I'll have to do the whole limb. The rest of the tree will likely wait til spring when i feel better. I've mentioned I hate winter right?

20210102_080854.jpg

Well, the ice brought a silver maple limb down on the roof,

I had 2 big beautiful sugar maples in my front yard, they both needed cables. I never got around to it. Dumb but true. The first one blew apart in hurricane Sandy, blocked the road for 5 days. The other one was damaged in Sandy and I trimmed it back twice after that. Most of the rest of it blew apart in the august tropical storm. I'm so disappointed and embarrassed in myself that I didn't adequately take care of them in a timely manner. I wanted to do a very hard reduction on the second one, I think it would have tolerated it and would have made it storm worthy.

Last edited:
Ime of sugar maples, they rot if you cut them or they grow too big and shit themselves in a big wind.

That’s as an imported species of course.

or they grow too big and shit themselves in a big wind.

I don't disagree, but I think nevertheless that if I had worked on my own damn trees instead of running around like a headless chicken taking care of everyone else's trees, I'd still have a big ol viable specimen in my front yard.
#thecobblerschildren #takecareofyourown #goaheadprorastinateseewhereitgetsyou

09, are you able to do the work yourself given that you are in treatment?

I don't disagree, but I think nevertheless that if I had worked on my own damn trees instead of running around like a headless chicken taking care of everyone else's trees, I'd still have a big ol viable specimen in my front yard.
#thecobblerschildren #takecareofyourown #goaheadprorastinateseewhereitgetsyou

What would you have done?

Kyle,
The young couple renting my parents original house on the lake in Michigan go to settlement on this Monday for a house of their own. They plan to rent a UHaul truck and move large items on the 9th, then finish small items and do a deep cleaning.

Once they move and clean the house I’ll head out to do the walk-through, return their security deposit, and get the gas and electric accounts switched back over. I’ll also spend a few days to deal with the oak wilt trees on the day camp property.

I just looked and you are just under six hours drive away. Since I’ll have my gear along I’d gladly drop by and deal with your branch and tree. I could get an AirBnB nearby so we keep distanced for your safety. Not sure who else might be close enough to lend a hand.

You mentioned that the branch pierced the shingles. I would think that your homeowners insurance should cover removal of the part of the tree on the house and repair of the roof.

F'g Pat is the The Man and a half.

What would you have done?

I would have heavily reduced it by 1/3, installed 1 or 2 cables if needed after the reduction. IME, mature sugar maples are not likely candidates for heavy reduction but I should have tried it on this one, I think in 3 years it would have looked fine, in season, and I'd still have the massive trunk to look at, lotta character there.

My neighbor had one, half of which fell on his house 4 or 5 years ago. I removed the fallen stuff, reduced what was left at his request, and it looks perfectly fine now, to a tree lover :/::lol:

True, but lower risk. And if it happened that way, it would be easier to accept knowing I had taken all reasonable measures. The tree has been gone 5 months and it still grates on me.

F'g Pat is the The Man and a half.

I would have heavily reduced it by 1/3, installed 1 or 2 cables if needed after the reduction. IME, mature sugar maples are not likely candidates for heavy reduction but I should have tried it on this one, I think in 3 years it would have looked fine, in season, and I'd still have the massive trunk to look at, lotta character there.

My neighbor had one, half of which fell on his house 4 or 5 years ago. I removed the fallen stuff, reduced what was left at his request, and it looks perfectly fine now, to a tree lover :/::lol:

Surprises me a bit to hear you talk about reduction, I thought that was frowned upon Stateside.

I have a small (by your standards) S Maple that I have reduced and re-reduced since I’ve been here (15 years) regrows like mad but the wood gets punky and riddled with fungi of many sorts.

Very very generous, thank you so much but I'll be ok. I'm not gonna do it when the world is a frozen block of ice, but I'll hit it Monday when it thaws. It landed right on a vaulted ceiling, and didn't even crack the drywall, and likely didn't even get the foam. Even heavy water there would go nowhere, and would easily fixed, possibly by one my best friends who lives next door, who installed it in the first place. My backhoe will easily pick up the limb, or my grcs could simply pick it up, or maybe even jump my crane truck and use that. I have a ton of buddies who would come and do it too, and if I'm ever overwhelmed would leave work to do it for me. My neighbor would be helping, and the others will likely join when they see it going down. Once again, thank you so much, but the need simply isn't there, i just thought some guys would help laugh at the irony of someone on this forum actually having a tree fall on the house :lol:

Yeah i have this one and another silver, both are declining and will need to go at some point. I thought this one needed to go this fall, and i was correct in my evaluation lol. The ice is already melting a bit, so the risk is diminishing, and the rest of the tree seems fine. I was almost thinking of setting a few guylines to temporarily cable it, but honestly i don't think it needs it. It's a ranch, 4 12 pitch, but doing it with rigging i could simply lever the branch off, then patch the roof. My buddy is a carpenter next door, so if needed either him or my other neighbor could/would help.

Pat, if you want to come hang out, you are welcome anytime, but please wait until i can join in the fun and properly show my hospitality! The outpouring of love and support, both from here and in my personal life, has been one of the most humbling and moving experiences in my life. Thanks everyone.

Back