How'd it go today?

@Burnham I think that if you have a basic understanding of treework & an ethical approach to teaching (and the sharing of information) you are always going to struggle with such an individual

Pretty easy day. Had to locate a house+improvements. Boss asked me if I wanted to do it, of course the answer is no, but since that's what I get paid for, I took a look at it. It was in a subdivision of big houses, and big houses usually means extensive groundwork/decking/pools that has to be measured. Google earth showed almost nothing on the lot. A big patio out back, but it was all 90°; easy.

Got that done, went back to the office, and changed the oil in the truck. That was the easiest it's ever been, and I don't think I spilled more than a pint. There's a few reasons why this truck's a PITA, but I got the oil out and in, with very little on me.

Finished the day working on my new operating system. Everything's different, and I'm having trouble getting everything setup again. I have six years of poorly documented customization, and things work just different enough I'm having trouble tracking the solutions down. I don't want to get too carried away with it, cause it might not be plug and play when I get a new computer. It usually is, but my last time failed, and I ended up doing a fresh install.

Neighbor got a new push mower and gave me the old one. First electric I’ve ever touched. Tore it down, cleaned it up, installed a new battery pack, removed about ten pounds of debris from inside the main housing; found a hole that looked like a hungry mouse chewed through last winter. Patched that and no grass flies inside it any longer. Sharpened the blade and the spare blade. Cut the yard. Strong and quiet! Now I’m thinking I’ll get rid of two of the other three gas push mowers. Used to have three properties to cut. Being retired and only one lawn now, maybe the rider will go, too. I need the exercise!

Found a used Castle TSM pocket hole machine for cabinetmaking about an hour or so away. Pneumatic ’clamp and drill’ in one motion. Offered $500 and he is ok with that. Heading there tomorrow to check it out.

Another day of estimates. Nothing to bad. Also was able to check on two of the crews and offer insight on how to make things go easier. It was actually well taken. Then after work I met up with the boss to go over tomorrow’s work and some other things. Ran into a competitor that really knows how to tempt me. Just happened to catch him at a red light and he hollered that my name could be on the drivers door of his treemek. Gonna drink a couple beers and get my mind off that.

Ran into a competitor that really knows how to tempt me. Just happened to catch him at a red light and he hollered that my name could be on the drivers door of his treemek. Gonna drink a couple beers and get my mind off that.

Gotta love it!

My name on the side of a half million + truck is quite tempting. Not tooting my own horn, but I’m one of the few local that understands “things”. The unsolicited offers are becoming more common. Letting the boss know can be beneficial😉.

Picked up the pockethole machine. Needs some work, so started disassembling to clean. It is first edition, from the original run of 1000 made in 1985 (s/n 00529). A bit of rust at the bottom; took one of the doors off which I’ll take over to Sherwin Williams to get color-matched paint.
B0030976-9B54-40CE-8FFC-C1EF6F00AAAE.jpeg

That ash handle looks like art!

Have you seen Buckin on YouTube , he loves all things axes and handles

Back