How'd it go today?

What kind of bird is that singing?

Good ear there, Jim...I think you mean when I stopped to survey the river at that small beach. And I don't know...lots of warblers, criers, tweeters out and about here now....courting season, I guess. Someone besides me will have to ID the bird.

Cool vid, love the staffs.

Imma say Carolina Wren.

Interesting about the 'good ear' thing; When I do appts, I voice-record all my notes and then write the estimate back at home. When I'm listening to my notes, frequently I hear obvious bird calls that I was oblivious to while on site

What is that? Looks like a RiceKrispies treat sprinkled with paprika.

edit:
Spent most of the day in the house. Just got in from a brief trip out. Spent some quality time with my Silky, and trimmed some trees. Thing works good. All I ever used in the past was handtools, but after getting a chainsaw, I always seem to grab that first. I need to use my handsaws more. Got an aldi shepherds pie in the oven. Food time should be in 1.5hr.

Last edited:
Kyle where do you put the upper limit for "small gauge stuff"? Just to know, I'll surely never consider welding big stuff.

Depends on what it is, which isn't really helpful i know. You commonly see stitch welds on stuff 1/4 inch on down, 3/8 rarely, but on occasion. Bigger than that you usually see stuff welded out, because it's stiff enough to tear unless it has been fully welded. Remember proper welds will actually warp the material, because they have actually penetrated and when they cool, they pull. You can easily ruin a bucket by welding it to much and warping it (small mini bucket, the bigger machines use wayyyyyyyyyy thicker materials).

Another thing to keep in mind is that certain objects can't be welded on without ruining their structural integrity. For example, i beams have 2 flanges, and a web connecting them. You can weld in the web, you can weld end plates on, you can weld on the edges of the flanges, but you can't weld across the flanges because it greatly weakens them, because it adds stress and warping on the part that has to be straight and carries the load. You can however weld stiffners on the inside, because that actually helps it keep its shape. If you need a welded connection off of the flange, you usually weld an extra plate on first, along the edges of the flange, and then weld to that.

For a fillet weld (a tee or lap joint), a rule of thumb is a full strength weld will be the size of the smaller of the two plates. So if you are welding a 1/4 in plate onto a half inch plate, a quarter inch weld on one side would be as strong as the material itself. So if you are going to weld both sides, a quarter inch weld size, stitch welded so it's the same as welding one side, would be bordering on over welding because welding on both sides is way stronger than just one side because of shear loading. So you usually see even more spacing.

34D99CC5-0DB6-4FA7-80DD-FC987843C9AF.jpeg 2AD288CB-2A10-4670-9C4C-003954D83DB6.jpeg 4610A8A0-A9D8-45B7-8157-79F18DFA5C03.jpeg BC0E2660-B4E8-41D4-B849-931C84854F98.jpeg 3172F9EC-C89A-460E-8BAC-94FB7759B95C.jpeg
Dimensions as promised. The last two are the welds in question. They are in line with the mounting plate so they are probably ok but I’m still debating it.
I’m liking it though. Carried up more than twice as much firewood in a single load. I’ll see how it does with stump grindings tomorrow. Ground out a seven foot diameter (but hollow) oak stump for a friend last week. He said he’d clean it up. Seems he changed his mind.

We took down some live oaks down in our little seasonal creek today. About 1/2 done. Had to strip out a pine first and make a gin pole to winch it all up to where the mini could grab it. Maybe Katy took pictures. Ill see if she did and post em.

Buddy of mine had a new house lot dropped in next to him this fall. Every tree left between houses blew down over the winter!

Taught him to climb today so he can canopy reduce the other exposed trees. He's a tall ship sailor, so no fear of heights. Was a total natural pic of him getting out on a limb. Fun to remember how exciting climbing was to learn.

20200418_165438.jpg

View attachment 100348View attachment 100349View attachment 100350View attachment 100351View attachment 100352
Dimensions as promised. The last two are the welds in question. They are in line with the mounting plate so they are probably ok but I’m still debating it.
I’m liking it though. Carried up more than twice as much firewood in a single load. I’ll see how it does with stump grindings tomorrow. Ground out a seven foot diameter (but hollow) oak stump for a friend last week. He said he’d clean it up. Seems he changed his mind.
You could weld out those seams.
You should try and find those IBC totes. I love'em from splitter to basket to wherever you want with no second hand handling. Image.jpg

Depending on the chemical/ use they come in handy for a portable water tank too! I scored a bunch of polypropylene glycol ones several years ago, so my neighbor uses them for water storage for his garden. If anything those welds are just undersized.

We use them to haul water for extensive perc test jobs. We also took one to a subdivision so the mason would have a water source to build some decorative columns.

I have one of those for my water wagon. The neighbor and I use it for watering the garden. We toss a 2” pump in the creek to fill it and have a garden hose transfer pump empty. The neighbor put a generator on it because 200’ of extension cord was a PITA 🙄
I have an old one without the liner. I can try it but I don’t think my mini will lift it full. Mines the Vermeer 650. A good bit smaller than your Rajan.
Kyle thanks for your response. Looking at some of the other welds, they look rushed. Not stacked like a roll of coins. The pools ( for lack of a better word) look drug out. I’m sure they’re fine but looks like lack of pride maybe. I could be wrong. Of course a good paint job hides a lot of imperfections.

The roll of dimes look has no business being on anything that was mig welded. Mig welded stuff should look like the pic when you show the 48" width, a solid flat surfaced weld. That shows enough heat was used that cold ripples can't show. I usually like to see the solidification line going down the center, because you need to be in spray to see that usually. Even stick welded stuff, 7018 especially, needs to be smooth. The dimes look comes from using 6010 and 6011 on uphill open root stuff, and because it sounds cool it has been repeated so much everybody thinks it's the right way, rather than understanding the context.

Back