How'd it go today?

10-4 on the horse...you were just getting into your stride with roping it seemed.

GF trimmed some lower branches off some of her trees, asked her 12 year old boy to clean up, he cried.

:lol: Oh, man...what are you gonna do???

Major set-back. Bummer.
Any idea what causes the lameness?

Sort of but not really. He can go from sound to dead lame in very little use, like if he's allowed to run a few hundred feet across a pasture and kick up his feet. This is after three weeks with no saddle on. Last time I rode him he had looked sound at a hand trot for about five days and I saddled him warmed him up for 20min ran him for about 30seconds and felt something off, cooled him out and he was dead lame.

No heat, no swelling, no real sensitivity except maybe his shoulder where is one fellow thought it was. I know, I know, lameness is rarely to never in the shoulder especially on a 12 year old horse. I've only had our farrier and a horse chiropractor out so far. This next week another chiro who's also a vet is coming out. I'll give him the rest of the season off though before I pay for x-rays and nerve blocking and whatnot that I'm sure will confirm he's lame(he's obvious dead lame at a hand trot and short strided at a walk, all in his left front) and will need time off. He's not uncomfortable looking to stand and heals enough to feel good enough to run around and lame himself up again if turned out. Time will tell, he trotted over in the smaller pasture I turn him out in for an apple today and looked sound. I feel a bit lost with it,hope with some serious time off he'll sound up?

Just whining and feeling sorry for myself. A lot worse crap could happen that's for sure.

Ha. I've considered that because he is a goofy sly devil. But I don't think he's faking it, but I've heard they can learn to. He was really starting to turn it on at the roping practices, running even the quicker steers in the pen down really well. He'd really started to give some big effort and you could tell he was getting into it. Fed up, legged up, ready to rip. Now he's bored as hell, I can tell he wants to be ridden.

Horses of courses.......

Sold a job today.....expensive neighborhood but not a ton of hard work just tedious snipsss. She said she'd call her Santiago to back me up and load my brush so i gave her a deal... $700. Almost no overhead.

Might have priced myself out of an old niche. The trailer parks of Calistoga brought in another company after I wouldn't do a crumbly garbage oak over a mobile home for cheap....

Now they're basing all my prices against this other company.......who is from the same town....that I've been commuting an hour and 45 minutes to one way from the city.....it used to be my side job bread and butter but now a hassle honestly.......I can dump chips but have to haul wood which is a serious haul.....

Horses of courses.......

Sold a job today.....expensive neighborhood but not a ton of hard work just tedious snipsss. She said she'd call her Santiago to back me up and load my brush so i gave her a deal... $700. Almost no overhead.

Might have priced myself out of an old niche. The trailer parks of Calistoga brought in another company after I wouldn't do a crumbly garbage oak over a mobile home for cheap....

Now they're basing all my prices against this other company.......who is from the same town....that I've been commuting an hour and 45 minutes to one way from the city.....it used to be my side job bread and butter but now a hassle honestly.......I can dump chips but have to haul wood which is a serious haul.....

Can I break up with them for you?
"yeah, this is the office of Bodean, it's recently come to our attention that you have been disrespectful to the time of a tried and true loyal professional, making him jump through hoops so you can boast about your crappy ass bargaining skills, well burping out Papst Blue Ribbon with dip-shit friends who aren't friends because like you, they have no honor. It's also come to our attention that you are a cheap penny-pinching douche bag. Lose our number a$$wipe. Have a nice day!"
I'm getting seriously jaded. Would like to practice roughing up someone else's culls, before I go after mine. : )

Just kidding of course. I don't have any would be clients pushing my buttons or anything. Me being Christianized and all...
😬

Zacklyyyyyyyy.

The good news is the cheap client got someone else so that they will no longer be recommending you to their cheap friends, yippeeeeee! Break the cycle!

As you move along with your business you sometimes lose clients along the way.
It was good work when you had very little to do, now not so much.
It's a natural thing.

I've been there for maybe 8 years......followed them watering oaks and removing them one after another.....told them not to water in the summers.

The on site property guy says he prefers me and my crew for professionalism and behavior......says the other crew are screaming loud Latin dudes......which makes me shudder on two separate reasons...don't scream on a job and doesn't matter if they Latin or Parisian....but his boss likes it cheap.

Plus dealing with that big wood stinks.
c75327e4120a9c287252393e58c67b07.jpg

995d088a838d2c13c4786371768a2672.jpg

Always sucks to lose a client, especially a gravy one, but on the show rolls. When I started 4 years ago I was terrified to ruffle any feathers or disappoint. Now I'm like, frig em, next.

Trimmed a bit on 9 trees at the course this morning: no climbing, just pole work. Dicked with a golf cart trying to diagnose a steering problem.
It was nice to get out a couple tree tools again.

I was mowing lawn at home and heard something snap...no more drive to the wheels. Of course I was as far back on the property as I could get. Called next door to get someone to steer while I towed it back up front. I'm waiting by the truck for a bit for my highly intelligent nephew and here he comes pushing the thing up hill out of the tree line.:|: I flagged him down and made the rest of the trip a little easier...

I should mow my lawn today, rarely ever have to mow in August. Could be worse I guess.

Dad came down because he had a shuttle of RoundUp in the back of his pickup that he picked up for me.

I slung it wrong and the damn thing fell, wiping out the tail gate on his pickup. Fortunately the shuttle did not rupture......250 gallons of Glyphosate.

We took the tail gate off and set it on a couple of blocks and straightened it out with the backhoe. Does not look too bad. I only need to rob the latch parts out of another tail gate of mine that Dad ruined to get his going.

I guess we are even now!

Neat little tractor Mick. Nice attachments too. Kinda cute.

I would opt for a skid steer but I can see how that would damage turf much less.

What kind of establishment do you stay at, when traveling around France?

I would picture something kind of rustic and quaint, with lots of oak paneling and a good pub. Nothing like a Motel 6.

Just a overnighter travelodge type thing.
It will/should carry 750 odd kilos. Much more than the 300kg the kubota can.
A lot of the making money in this job is all about logistics, i.e. how quickly can you get the stuff out/moved.

Getting them on the floor is often the easy bit.

Back