How'd it go today?

Take care of your self Stephen!

No more jury duty for me. Didnt even try to get out of it. Called the clerk of court to find out some info about the trial and she apologized for sending me the summons. Said to come in and sign a paper, she had already talked to the district judge and got me excused. I signed and said thanks.

Sold the old chipper for a decent price, watched it disappear down the drive with a cheque for €5500 in my hand.
It's nice when you look after stuff, spend money keeping it working well and then sell it without any bother or bs.

Treebilly, Look into those laser bars, around here they are about half. My 32 inch cost less than the 28 inch. And even with all the boring and bucking (and helpers running dull chain and constantly pinching) I've only had one fail and the company replaced it for no charge. By far the best bar I've ever ran on either of my 395s

Thanks Nic. I'll check them out. The dealer told me $360 for a 48" bar and that's not even an ultralight. In fact they acted like they don't exist. For all I know that could be a good price. Just a bit of a surprise since I've only ever bought 3/8 bars and chains.

Laser bars are made by tsumura. 24" bar was 40 bucks 28" was 58 bucks and the 32" was only 55 bucks. Im even putting them on my top handle. They don't seem to require nearly the maintenence, less burrs, tip stays tight, and the rails stay right. I guess they are one piece instead of laminated. Only complaint I had was the paint wore off and left me with a big "mirror" cause they are real shiny

I tried Peters link and it wants a password or something. Nic are you running a 404 b&c on anything? Seems to be much harder to come across. Of course my tech skills suck so I might come across something somewhere

I was getting ready to head out to do my first tree job of the year, when I stumbled on an online auction offering a Carlton 2500-4 stump grinder for sale. Looks to be in great condition, with only 690 hours on it. So....I placed a bid and left for work. Lo and behold, I find out later that I was the winning bidder.

Carlton 2500-4 photos. Price was $6250.00

https://www.proxibid.com/aspr/Carlton-STump-Grinder/29728732/LotDetail.asp?lid=29728732&rfpb=0#Top

Carlton 2500-4.jpg

I'll find out what the operational condition is when I finally get it here. I'll keep you folks posted.

Joel

I tried Peters link and it wants a password or something. Nic are you running a 404 b&c on anything? Seems to be much harder to come across. Of course my tech skills suck so I might come across something somewhere

I run 3/8 full skip on everything. I'll see if I can find my laser book today. Maybe I can post a pic of the page

A cheque bounced from a custy, put my bank account into the negative, which froze my account. Managed to get the custy to email a money transfer. All is good again, and I made a little in service charge.

I had one of those clients. Middle class, nice house.
Priced an easy oak TD and a couple of limbs of a small ash, one of those clients who want to save money doing as much as they can themselves.

I said €490 plus tax and for €50 I'll bring the tractor and move the wood down the end of the garden, "no" says the wife "we'll do that" bear in mind it's 70 yards and there's a reasonable amount of wood.
So I got a call last night "if you don't chip the branches can you bring the tractor and not charge for the chipping" they want to extract as much burn able wood from the branches as possible.
Me "no, chipping is free, tractor is extra" (it's as much effort to stack brush as put it in my chipper)
Plenty of hand wringing and incomprehension to no avail until they agreed.
Then while we're doing the job I see them down by the ash looking up thoughtfully.
A bit later the husband sidles up, "we've changed our minds can you take the ash out?"
Me "no bother" not really that much extra work especially with no clear up. So we drop the branches then dump the trunk on top.
So everyone's happy and while the wife writes the cheque out the husband explains he's going in for a heart bypass in the near future.
So he's got two days hard manual work to do for maybe €20 of wood.

Nowt so queer as folk.

I woke up this morning to a call of a new color. I had someone call to see what I would charge to remove some raccoons from their tree. Wasn't sure what to charge since they want them taken alive and in a hurry. I quoted it at 100 dollars/critter. Was that too high to do it? Im not sure

"Someone" once showed me, no idea who, or when, a low velocity hand bb gun with flat tipped pellets doesn't break the skin, but hurts them enough to leave......

Not useful with clients around.......

:/:

I've grabbed them out of trees when I used to trap and hunt them. Grab the tail and shove them in a burlap sack. But I have no idea what should be charged for it

I removed a colony of Rooks from 3 pine trees yesterday.
Clients wanted the nests gone, but not the trees.
Those he wanted topped.
That made for an easy job ( For me, that is. Not for the groundie)
I could take the top 9 feet out in one piece, nests and all, and let the groundie lower them.
Poor guy got a veritable shower of old nesting material and guano each time.
The rhododendrons growing underneath will probably grow 3 feet this summer from all that fertilizer.
No clean-up and I could swing from tree to tree.
Priced right, too:D

As we drove away, there was a flock of Rooks cirkling overhead, wondering, no doubt, what happened to their cosy homes.
If they return, I'll install a plastic owl.

Back