How'd it go today?

They lay steel over shingles here, no insurance or building code issues. If it were my own I'd strip down the old.....if I had the time.......

So I get a call...guy wants me to look at tree...I go there, look at 2 trims & 2 removals, he likes how I would do them and thanks me saying he can do it himself..:slam:

Then to top off the day the fiberglass box cover flies off the pickup in the 50 mph wind on the way home...flew across the road and about 40 yards into a field before it landed. I'll have to get another person to carry it back to the truck after this wind dies down I guess.

I've been burned by the "how would you go about this?".

My best answer now is professionally, safely, and predictably, within mutually agreed upon impact allowances.

Not the way it came across Sean, but I know what your saying.

He offered me gas money for coming out. He can do much of it alone with a pole saw, and I wish him luck on the removals leaning over the house that he plans on pulling with his mini excavator...The Cherry might be doable, but the dead ash is going to create some serious damage unless he's unbelievably lucky...not my problem.:)

I can't stand that stuff Dave. Kinda like bidding storm work. All some people want is the quote to give the insurance company to try and get paid to do it themselves.

The kid did good on the ropes again today. He actually did great considering the winds and rather large pieces I was taking. After the first limb kinda went a bit goofy, he figured out what he needed to do. He also suggested a pull line in that cherry I told him to think about and suggested cutting up a few feet since there was some rot showing close to the root flare. I told him he was right and it wasn't gonna happen today. To damn windy. He agreed.

Good point, Jay.

I had a pretty boring day taking this little cherry off the house, and then doing building clearance. My friend did a super nice hemlock out in the countryside, and I'm green with envy :X I've allways been super petty like that. Wish I weren't, but I am.

unnamed-572.jpg

xZjsxHn.gif

Where you insulate depends on what type of ceiling you have mostly. Generally you want air to circulate under the roof (in the attic) to prevent condensation in and over-heating of the roof. Insulation is usually (but not always) against the ceiling, and air against the roof.

If the ceiling is the roof, then you would insulate the roof.

I hear what you're saying Dave and my ceiling is insulated decently I believe. But certainly that doesn't mean I couldn't strip down to the horizontal strapping that my shake is on and just lay metal onto that does it? Or does it?

No pics today. A buddy came over today to help me with the front driveshaft on my 03 f350. I've had to heat and then cut all three of the u joints out. And then do you think we could get the centering ball out? Nope. Had to cut it out as well. Somewhat carefully. Then I was in a rush to get ready for skiing! Can't beat five dollar Friday nights. We had a blast.

Justin, I've never tried it; it wouldn't pass code here on an occupied dwelling.
I wouldn't recommend it but won't say it can't be done.
Again, check your local building codes...things may be far different here than there.

1) the joints on the metal run vertically and the slats run horizontally
2) If it is a normal shake-on-slat roof there are some fairly large spaces between the boards. this could interfere with, or make a pain out of, fastening the metal down correctly/securely.
3) I like to have a good, flat, solid foundation for the top roof layer whatever it might be.
4) The price of plywood isn't that much when considering the cost and time of stripping shakes and installing a metal roof, and it installs rather quickly and easily.

Ok. Great info guys.

So the way I see it I either strip it, lay plywood, than the metal. This seems like the most proper way to me. The entire roof/truss will be exposed and easiest to inspect the entire structure. Also it will presumably be dead flat when done and also best for walking on afterwards like to clean my chimneys. Also I get a lifetime supply of kindling out of the deal.

Or I lay stripping over the shakes and do the metal. This will take a bunch of time to get that stripping level I think because the shakes are pretty uneven seeming to me. This seems to me like cheating which in life invariably seems to bite me in the ass. I am a picky bastard and it seems like unless the stripping is flawless I'm going to have some potential to 'see' some unevenness. Also walking on it to clean my chimney seems like it'll be riskier. And lastly in my mind this method seems to have the potential to be the least secure. I do get some pretty high winds at times.

I may have answered my own question it seems. :|:

Pretty standard Saturday, ruined by having to go back to job to pick up an axe that we left on site Tuesday.
Then did some bids as you guys say, movie night tonight so I have "goodfellas" taped. I think the wife will like it.
(I've seen it 4 or 5 times)
Looking forward to 2 scenes.
1: "now go home and get your shoe shine!"
2: "whaddya mean I'm funny?"

The whole fam danmly came down with Mike and his family had the gave Mike pneumonia. Hateful bug. Sitting on the sidelines sux. Wanted to work on my deck this weekend as well.

the loggers will be coming into the woods this week so i got roped into working a saturday.

weather's been all over lately and i wanted to get my beater s10 into the woods so, tire chains for the 1st time since i was a young man!

makes me want to drive on chains all the time.
1st it was in the snow then the ice and later today mud.

i'm in love, in love with tire chains.

Back