How'd it go today?

Well, today wound-up super easy. We've got a lot of trees on houses, as usual, but nowhere near as bad as everybody thought.

3 little doghair cottonwoods on the house. One was still rooted-in and not even touching it, which my friend Chris just rigged from another tree and swung into the woods. I climbed the other 2 from a bucket TIP. No before pics. :|:

unnamed-348.jpg unnamed-346.jpg

Roofers try to decide where to start...

unnamed-347.jpg

Not my hinge! But pretty good for Chris...:lol:

unnamed-345.jpg

Stopped by the Falls on my way home, and they were PUMPING!

Again, NOT my hinge. :lol:

Our poor goats were nearly flooded out...

Attachments

• unnamed-341.jpg
    unnamed-341.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 45
  • unnamed-340.jpg
    unnamed-340.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 46
  • unnamed-349.jpg
    unnamed-349.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 45
Had an oops today. Set a rope in a black oak spar, had an excessive lean but figured it'd go to the side, everything was going good till I looked up and realized that instead of pulling the rope the guys had taken a wrap around another tree. Then bam hit a white oak and put a two foot long scar in it about 30 feet up. Had to clean up the damaged area and paint it with pruning paint. Then had an 80 foot lift maxed out straight up and down doing the ol cut and throw for about 4 hours in 30 mph wind. I don't understand why my "boss" insists on production being before safety.

The falls sure look raging, miss that living in flatistan.
Got all my beekeeping equipment today for a job coming up next Tuesday. Have a brood box coming in March since no swarms or rescues came my way this summer.
Spent the afternoon air layering about 20 varieties of camellia for our house from a clients yard.

I thought I saw you while I was watching for the counterweight crossing the center line. That was when the moron was working the smaller one the I hit the white oak with

Doug-fir uprooted at an existing client's property, splitting the pump house of the neighbor in two, right between the "goal posts" that are two houses, poking a hole in the windshield of a car, but breaking partially, a bit farther out, so only a bit of branches touching it. Well is out of commission.

Cleaned up a cottonwood that bounced off the house.

Started on an uprooting, large apple tree, that could roll over onto the house, leaving it after 5 minutes of headlight work. Got a lot of weight off, and shifted weight away from the house.

After what seems like months of clear clement weather, during which work has been easy and lucrative, the rain has come.
Takes all the fun out of it.
Luckily all the big stuff has been done so it's a day here a day there.

Got an employee now so he needs to pay his way. Plus I have a full schedule so it'll just create problems down the line.
If I'm honest it's not too bad, fine drizzle with occasional heavy showers. We'll dodge 'em and finish early if poss.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/dYqYCDDgqFo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I've got like seven more of these to do.

cheers

Mick... quit showing off.

Grendel: Good cutting, man. Your 390's killing it. Really, really good job on the diagonal of your face-cut. I line one up like that but seldom.

Today was beautiful after tons of rain. Loaded wood with the 17 ton, and then rigged some Cottonwoods, while Chris cut em...

unnamed-354.jpg

Ed and St. Patric do all the work, while I look on rather stupidly...

20151119_102429.jpg

unnamed-353.jpg

Chris Maragulia at the stump... beautiful day. Why are some days just so fun even though you're doing nothing in particular?...

unnamed-352.jpg

Nice vid and some crane chunks :thumbup:
Looks like we are almost down to the big wood now on that big job. Some final clean up and drive way restoration. Ground is already bladed back etc. StuMps ALAP.
The mill and the Iron is basy now. Transport. Should only have the big logs to mill as of tomorrow.

Attachments

• tmp_1753-IMG_20151119_152526274616422793.jpg
    tmp_1753-IMG_20151119_152526274616422793.jpg
    171.3 KB · Views: 39
  • tmp_1753-IMG_20151119_152254033132883302.jpg
    tmp_1753-IMG_20151119_152254033132883302.jpg
    178.8 KB · Views: 38
nice work Grendel, I swear I could watch tree work vids all day.

nice to hear your almost done with the big job Stephen.I would love to see the lumber that mill produces

Jed its a pleasure to see what you do everyday

Do you have to grind the stumps Stephan?
No. Just ALAP. She is only going to get one stup removed from out of the center of the driveway... Why some one left it to begin with, beyond me. Literally sits in the exact middle with nary room to go round either side, let alone that is directly out front of the garage door:|:
Referring that work out.
I subbed a lot of the wood removal as well.

Here is Dave and I on the last tree stump. One of the guys referred to it as the General. The biggest one. General Sherman... LOL
50" DBH and 175 feet high. Used it as a gin pole at the 150 foot mark. Interesting when 300 feet of 5/8ths is just not enough rope :lol:
Last Tree Rowe.jpg
Couple more of the Fallen General
Rowe Last Tree Buck.jpg Rowe Last Tree Carry.jpg Rowe Last Tree Stump.jpg
And a shot after one of the main codoms was gone before I went up to finish the last couple logs before the fell. Yeah... I done the deed. Nick named that one the beast. Little more than a two day tree next to the house. 165 feet tall, three main tops with a few smaller ones thrown in here and there. 40" DBH

Attachments

• Rowe Big Wood Rigging.jpg
    Rowe Big Wood Rigging.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 53
Big stuff Stephen and a nice day.
Just girding my loins to go out there on a wet,windy, miserable day.
I left my gloves out in the van rather than bringing them in to dry by the fire. Eejit!

Dang, Stephen...you have crossed into the official land of the big boys tree guys. Huge job y'all are doing...fine pictures and trees. I appreciate you taking time to document it.

Brilliant pics, Stephen. Wonderful work, kudos to you and Dave. Any idea what the wood is going to be milled for? The blue fungus staining is a shame. We get the same thing here with the beetle remnant dead ones.

50"! Holy Smoke. Beautiful stump pic. Did you fab-up those dogs yourself? They look almost like Husq. dogs on a Stihl.

Cool Stephen. Heh that hoe should be able to rip a stump out with a little scraping, of course you have the problem of what to do with it afterwards though.

Back