How'd it go today?

My plan is not as good!

I just finished a late breakfast skillet with potaotes, onions, eggs, Colby cheese, peppers, SPAM! and breakfast hotdogs, thats what Richard Boy calls sausage links.

It was good. Just watching it rain now. Got 200 acres yet to combine, but it was too green before the rain. Rain can actually help ripen the green wheat. If it is ripe, the grain can sprout and have bad falling numbers. Both of which can render a crop almost worthless.

For those interested, Falling numbers test is a measure of how much of the starch in wheat has been used. The kernel uses starch as a nutrient when the seed beings to grow. The less starch in present, the more advanced the sprouting process is.

Once the starch is out of the kernel, the milling and baking qualities of the seed are about gone. It wont make bread.

A sample of wheat is ground and then mixed with water. A weight is then dropped into the mixture and the ammount of time for the weight is measured. The longer the time, the more starch is present and the higher the baking quality. The faster the weight drops, the runnier the mixture is, because of the lower starch content.

All you need is a rain on a bumper crop to render it valueless.

Jim you are a plethora of information. Your breakfast rivals mine. Eggs, toast, sausage, potatoes(with onions and hot peppers) and coffee.
Didnt catch a thing fishing this morning. Going back after dinner and hoping for better luck. A friend of ours stopped by my house and grabbed my package from Treestuff for me. When they get here I'm gonna try out the haas. There is a 10" diameter white pine limb that cracked and is laying on a pavilion. Gives me an excuse to climb.

Washington Apples

If I understand you correctly then I use a bowline.

All I've used for the last ten years Mick... Now... I'm a little freaked out. Scotty's much more knocked up than was earlier supposed. Busted a leg and several vertebrae in addition to the initially known carnage. Internal bleeding... They're doing exploratory surgery on him today to try to get him sorted.

Joel: Splices? You lucky dog... if only one had the knowledge/money.

Rajan: My plan to a T for the next two days.

Jim: We'll hope for the best with regard to the rain. Yes, we're interested! Thanks for the breakdown.

Boring but easy job today doing building clearance. Also had to kill seven beautiful Apple trees because they were falling on some rich guy's Mercedes. The guy's too lazy to park a few spaces down....

unnamed-98.jpg unnamed-99.jpg

Great thread going. Sorry to hear about Scotty. Keep us informed of his condition and findings on cause of failure.

Jim...falling numbers explanation is cool. Not boring..helps understand some of the vagaries of farming ...typed as I sit out a summer thunderstorm in a porch swing under a tin roof on our farm...where my grandaddy raised my mama and her posse. Lots of history..I am spending several days removing the old oak that has been a major focus for my kids and grandkids...the tire swing we installed about 20 yeasr ago is the only part of the tree still standing. Working on removing that final limb today

You guys who run dDrt this way... What do you use?

I haven't even thought of DdRT since the HH, if I did, Hitch climber with spliced end. I do use, rarely now, a 70ft climb line DdRT to pull me up/out to tippy tops, pinto pulley with eye-eye in between the cheeks, and another biner clipped on the becket. Had to use it today on a maple. All ropes spliced by me, I like the streamlined look.

Scotty's much more knocked up than was earlier supposed. Busted a leg and several vertebrae in addition to the initially known carnage. Internal bleeding... They're doing exploratory surgery on him today to try to get him sorted.

Also had to kill seven beautiful Apple trees because they were falling on some rich guy's Mercedes. The guy's too lazy to park a few spaces down....

Ugh. Sorry to hear both. Best wishes for Scotty!

Ray, I canNOT thank you enough... all you guys... thanks so much for the well wishes.

That's pretty cool that you can splice Peter... not many of us can.

I did this today. Deposit until after the week end. F350 with a 460 84 vintage, low miles off a ranch

Attachments

• IMG_20150906_165151475_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20150906_165151475_HDR.jpg
    197.3 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_20150906_165136334.jpg
    IMG_20150906_165136334.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 44
Sometimes the server burps and there's nothing that can be done about it...

I used to freak out about it in the beginning, but I've grow accustomed to it.

Just check back, later... it'll usually be all good.

Attachments

• pecan top 012.jpg
    pecan top 012.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 42
Working fine now Butch, thanks.

Nice Ford Stephen. We dont have an emissions test here, is it worth the money to get an older one like that up to spec if it fails?

All depends Jim. Couple ways to look at it. No payments is nice, but sometimes more frequent repairs can push it up. Slef repairs easier. Parts cheaper. Steel thicker and can take more abuse like deer hits. Cheaper insurance. Horrible gas mileage.,... A new or way nicer truck is out of reach financially. This work really trashed vehicles too. Hard to do that to something new and pretty. :dontknow:
Luckily, I only have to run emissions once when I buy a vehicle iin my county. That is a huge factor to consider.

Yeah, I hear ya Stephen. Everything I have is ten years and older. My daily driver at the moment is a 72!

I have a matched set of 93 F 250s. One is a auto with a 460 and the other is a manual with the 7.3 IDI Turbo. Same month and same factory.

Is is a deal breaker if the pickup fails the emission test?

Back