How'd it go today?

Not any more.
I stopped turning for money about 6 years ago.
Now I just do it when I need a gift and am too lazy to go to the store.

Removed a widespread Cherry in tight quarters, then went to another job to take half of a Scowler willow of a house, and removed the other half. The day went sweet. Then I get back to the shop to learn that my good friend Scott Claggett fell 35' when his dDrt termination knot (bowline) came untied on either Yale XTC or Poison Ivy. (I'm thinking Yale) He'll probably be alright, but he broke one of his arms in several places, and broke, "a ton of ribs." The full extent of his condition isn't known. The guy's almost 50 years old, and has over 25 years of experience, plus he spent five years on spurs and flipline prior to that, as a logger for his Dad and other outfits. Outside of Gerry Beranek's books and vids... Claggett has taught me more than any other climber that I've been personally trained by. I simply cannot believe that his Bowline came out. They always tell you not to climb on a Bowline, but he swore by it.

That sucks. My friend almost died from broken ribs, A MONTH AFTER THE ACCIDENT. He had a gallon of fluid in his abdomen, and they restarted his heart 3 times. Remind him to watch for such slow, creeping dangers.

I was 3/4 of the way done with the city fencing project when the project manager asked me to stop working. I didn't know what to think. Suddenly they get together for a big group meeting with all of the city board members, the mayor, and city works employees.

Hours of worry and sweat later, word comes back that they're all so impressed with my fencing work that they've decided to expand the project. WHEEEW!

Needless to say, I'm taking a big breath of fresh air. Good deal.....let's get this done. 0828151043a_01.jpg 0828151044_01.jpg 0828151046_01.jpg 0828151046a_01.jpg 0828151049_01.jpg 0828151048_01.jpg

I now have to remove and reinstall one of the corner sets I've already installed, but I'm not complaining........not one bit.

Joel

Okay. Just wondering.

Guess I will have to come up with something else for the centerpiece of my Stig shrine! The voodoo doll I got from that guy is not working.

Shhhhh, don't tell anyone. I have a really cool salt & pepper shaker that Stig turned from a tree on the castle grounds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry to hear about your friend Jed, hope he recovers fully and quickly.

Joel! That's great...happy for ya man.:)

Hope he heals quick Jed. The only time I've seen a bowline slip is when the guy left about a half inch of tail. I spent an hour loading and unloading one just to prove they don't work loose to a guy.

Took the day off and started the weekend early. Listening to the night sounds out in the woods right now. Everyone else went to sleep so I can relax. Hope to hook breakfast before the family wakes up in the morning.

Sorry to hear about that Jed. Hope he gets better with not lingering problems.

Looks good Joel. Glad they liked your work!

Never seen square posts used for H braces before.

We hardly use wood for corners anymore. I will set a single 2 and 7/8 piece of oil field tubing as a corner. If a ten foot piece is set in the ground five feet it holds four wires nicely. If the plan calls for H braces I use 2 and 3/8, ten foot pieces, set the same at five feet. Then we weld in the H braces.

We use a ton of wood for fixing corrals though.

I hear you Rich. I am an open space kind of guy but I love listening to the breeze in the trees at night. We go to the hills sometimes.

Stick a Yosemite tie-off on that bowline and it'll be 100% safe.

Jed I'm sorry to hear of your mate. Just to qualify do you mean the bowline that he attaches to his karabiner at the other end of his rope to the Prussik/Blakes?

Here's how my weekend is going to go "I ain't doing shit aside from mowing the lawn, drinking beer, and chilin with my girls" .

Stig: Thanks. Yes... I've heard the Yosemite thing is bombproof. So, I'm told, is the Anchor and Fisherman's. The corporate dummies will fly in and we'll be going round and round on stupid termination knots for a month.

Mick: Scott was running two biners. One for his eye and eye (beeline) and micro-pulley, and one for the terminus of his climb line on the other end. (The Bitter End: the end that would go up from his bee-line, over the wood he was tying into, and back to his saddle (dDrt). This was the bowline that came out of his second biner. Wait a bit though... watch me have to unsay all of this when I go to work this morning and then learn more.

You guys who run dDrt this way... What do you use?

InbredJed,

I'm climbing Ddrt and use the hitchclimber setup. The lower biner is attached to the bridge ring on my Treemotion saddle. It houses the hitchclimber pulley and my friction hitch (I use a schwabisch) The upper biner is attached to the middle hole on the hitchclimber pulley and to the spliced end....tight eye...of my climbing line.

The hitchclimber pulley is not to be used with knotted climbing lines. knots at the termination end of the climbing line will interfere badly with the friction hitch, causing failure.

Hope this helps.

Joel

Sean,

The long loop bowline would work....sort of....but I hate the fact that so many times you'd end up clearing out the tiny twigs and branches that will certainly get caught between the two legs of rope forming the loop. What a pain to deal with.

In a pinch......yep.
Every day....no way.

Joel

Back