How'd it go today?

I tried googling that harness but I couldn't come up with the name of the thing.

The hell is it called???

That's it!

easy_lift_harness_uk.jpg

That works from a slightly different principle, but the end result is more or less the same.
Mine is called a Flex-lift, Butch.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/2EAddEjH-8U" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

When you do a month worth of hedges, it certainly is.
That is really hard on the shoulders.

Richard and I Alaskan milled some larch for the Castle gamekeeper this morning.
He asked if we'd take some meat in trade. They supply a couple of local restaurants, so they always have a large supply of deer in the freezer.
We got a deer each, with a promise of some fresh fallow deer in fall, when season goes in.
I'm going to give mine to my karate sensei, he is a true meat lover, so that should make him happy.

image.jpg

My buddy lent me his boat yesterday to take the family/kids out in. Nice quaint little run about. Lol. It was pushing 40c here yesterday. Yes I'm enjoying working part-time this summer.

That little boat will do 75mph, and get there almost as fast as you can say it. Quickest thing I've ever run on water before.

We just replaced one of our two primary wells at work. A 200' of all cast components that had been running flawlessly since 1968. The new one is all in ground and PVC. Seems so incredibly inferior to what we took out. . . except for the drop pipe, that was on it's last legs.

The engine is almost bigger than the boat!
Looks like a fine place to sail.

I finally got a window of 4 days dry weather in between all the rain, so we got the hay in.
That waiting for good weather and then taking the chance and cutting it always makes me nervous as hell.
So I have a nice feeling inside, now that it is all wrapped up, so to say.

Jim, you don't have to say it. This is what your cows eat in 10 minutes, I know:lol:

P1020921.JPG P1020951.JPG P1020964.JPG P1020972.JPG

When you live in a wet cold climate and can't be sure of getting the hay dry enough that it won't go moldy, the bales are wrapped airtight.
Then it starts a malo-lactic fermentation that keeps the hay fresh.
Think of sauerkraut, just made with grass.
Done all over Northern Europe and Scandinavia.
Hardly anybody makes hay the old way any more.

Normally the bales are made much bigger 500-1000 pds, but with only two horses it is better to have small 60 pds bales, since once you open then, they only last a short time before going bad.
Easier to handle as well.

You really don't have this in the US?

We have various silage baling techniques, either individual wraps, or long continuous tubes, but nothing for small bales.

They've been cutting the hay on our fields as well, 34 round bales. They don't pay and neither do I.
Upside down probably.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    192.7 KB · Views: 52
Square bales here are just stacked inside a barn. Large round bales have a green mesh around the perimeter to hold them together and most are left in the field until they are needed.

Back