How'd it go today?

This day and the last 14 have gone very nicely, thank you very much. We spent the time on a jaunt down to the Big Sur coast, CA...camping, visiting family, and enjoying the life of leisure that a properly planned for retirement offers :). Back home now. Woodstove feels fine :D.

Here's a couple of pictures...

Attachments

• sultan and jasper, big sur 008.jpg
    sultan and jasper, big sur 008.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 35
  • sultan and jasper, big sur 009.jpg
    sultan and jasper, big sur 009.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 35
  • sultan and jasper, big sur 016.jpg
    sultan and jasper, big sur 016.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 35
We're modding 4 562XP autotunes this week. These saws are a hot item and rightly so.......think of a saw that's as fast as it can be at all times because it's being tuned hundreds of time a second for the fastest in the cut rpm.......then think of that with a bit more. :)

Burnham, wondering if you enjoyed any restaurants or other accommodations in the area? I seem to recall them being either touristy or snobbish.

So then this 562 .What does it have a micro processer to tune it ?

Hell Al, that's a good question. I'm not a tech savvy sort of guy. I know it uses a stator under the flywheel to power the system.......and the coil is wired to the carb. If the system needs a reset, you have to hook the carb to the computer and run the diagnostic software. I don't have that ability so when it's needed I send the carbs to mweba......an AS member.

It's got a chip in it then .Damned small one but a chip never the less .

FWIW I've seen micro circuitry in a plastic Ford fuel rail no larger than the diameter of a filter of a cigarette .It was so small we had to place it under a 20 to one magnification optical comparitor to even figure out what it was .

Well it comes as no surprise to me because I figured it was only a matter of time before automotive type fuel delivery would find it's way into chainsaws .I just didn't figure it would happen quite so quickly .The technoligy has been in motorcycles for quite some time now already .

ha, imagine a nuke attack with an emp that causes people to have to live off the grid, cut wood, heat/cook with wood, those saws won't work nor will any other machine with a chip in it, the emp wipes out chips.

It's got a chip in it then .Damned small one but a chip never the less .

FWIW I've seen micro circuitry in a plastic Ford fuel rail no larger than the diameter of a filter of a cigarette .It was so small we had to place it under a 20 to one magnification optical comparitor to even figure out what it was .

Well it comes as no surprise to me because I figured it was only a matter of time before automotive type fuel delivery would find it's way into chainsaws .I just didn't figure it would happen quite so quickly .The technoligy has been in motorcycles for quite some time now already .

It's been at for a few years now and several revisions and service bulletins have been issued. The latest version is doing very well it seems.

I'd be bolting on a regular carb then.
ha, imagine a nuke attack with an emp that causes people to have to live off the grid, cut wood, heat/cook with wood, those saws won't work nor will any other machine with a chip in it, the emp wipes out chips.

Beautiful country! Where's Jasper???
Snoozing in the car, most likely...CA beaches, most anyway, are closed to dogs...lots of state park trails are, too.

Burnham, wondering if you enjoyed any restaurants or other accommodations in the area? I seem to recall them being either touristy or snobbish.

Nope, we were camping...cooking on a +50 year old Coleman stove, ya know :).

I can only speculate in theory how it might possibley work .I'd imagine though if it is programmable the parameters could be changed if you had the software to do so .

They can get pretty tricky though with software and "propritory rights " .It's not that anything can't be changed but it takes extraordinary methods to do so .We had special chips for testing engines that were not avaialble to the general public ,locked and protected . I could not crack them and I tried nor could some damned good software engineers at work of which I'm not .They could "burn " a new e-prom from a master but they could not analize the contents therein .

I can only speculate in theory how it might possibley work .I'd imagine though if it is programmable the parameters could be changed if you had the software to do so .

They can get pretty tricky though with software and "propritory rights " .It's not that anything can't be changed but it takes extraordinary methods to do so .We had special chips for testing engines that were not avaialble to the general public ,locked and protected . I could not crack them and I tried nor could some damned good software engineers at work of which I'm not .They could "burn " a new e-prom from a master but they could not analize the contents therein .

Way over my head Sir. :)

I'd like to see one of those carbs totaly disected .By it's very design a diaphragm carb is in effect a form of a mechanical fuel injecter .

With that in mind by using a form of a PIP signal (crank sensor) a throttle postion sensor and a variable orface carb jet you could pretty much cut it loose and let it go on it's own .In addition it could incorperate the abilty to vary the timing also . This is just speculation on my part of how it could work .

Looks like a good time B!

Interesting discussion on computer chips in saws...makes me a bit nervous, kinda like a car you can't just pop the hood and tinker with to fix any more? Or are they so good we'll never need to fix them? Or am I just a techno-phobe?

It's a bigger issue than techno difficulties. The current trend is to not get your hands dirty at all....or as little as is possible.

I stopped repairing my saws years ago except for the smallish stuff.
I'm a firm believer in doing what one is good at, I'm good at whacking trees, not chainsaw repair.
I let my dealer do that, and buy new saws regularly, so they are in good shape and don't need much in the way of repair.

Back