How'd it go today?

Al, you may not want to put any more money into that saw, but since it needs a new piston anyway, the tweeked 036 p and c stuck on that saw makes for a raucous instrument.

Whats up with forestry buckets? I never had any trouble with them in my younger years when I worked out of a bucket. I mean, nothing beats rear mounts but forestry buckets never gave me any trouble. I hate dragging brush around behind them to chip though!

Worked on an easement today.... Over hanging limbs that the HOs wanted down. Trees had been through a fire 15 years ago and let go. One live oak was a rat and squirrel condo.. nests everywhere. Limbs were pretty twisted and crazy.
Wierd body thrusting up a tree because you don't need to be up more than 20-25 feet to do the deed. Been doing mostly ponderosa and having to be up 75-100 feet... Feet on the ground tomorrow at a site that was done with a forestry mower... We get to do all the hard spots and snags.... WEEEEEE... LOL

Dragging to the back of the truck/chipper is a hassle but we would, on a big type job, manuever the chipper in "backwards" so feeding would be easier. And cutting big stuff over the cab usually made me uptight (one wrong bounce of a freefall log and its goodbye grill) not to mention the massive amount of sawdust that makes its way into the radiator. But absolutely, its way better than no bucket. Is it a 65'er? That helps, mine was a 55'.

I think it's a 55, but I don't know... take a look.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/eqVQgP0eDvE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

55 isn't the worst thing that can happen but I always found myself climbing out of the bucket when I used one. 90% of my work requires roping wood down and I don't often get the opportunity to just let a big top fly. The homes are close around here and my region is a major tangle of wires. No underground wires at all. Anywhere.

I work with a 65' forestry bucket in the summertimes. It's a good machine, but of course there are always times it could have a bit more reach. I've never tried a rear mounted bucket, would like to fly one sometimes.

Now, the lifts they use here in HK are quite a bit different, and can sometimes feel quite sketchy.

This style is good for tight spaces.
IMG_20121113_193555.jpg

Al, you may not want to put any more money into that saw, but since it needs a new piston anyway, the tweeked 036 p and c stuck on that saw makes for a raucous instrument.
Well now the rest of that story .It's a super which is already 48 MM the same as an 036 .Oh yeah if they are set up right they are one rightious little fire ball for 60 cc .Another challange for an old junk yard dawg .;)

We have a rear mounted altec 65' here, funny we complain because we had an 80' high ranger.

We definitely climb out of thw bucket quite a bit more now. Though the truck now is a bit more manuevearable. especially with the 4x4.

Am I the only one???

Attachments

• stuck 013 (Medium).jpg
    stuck 013 (Medium).jpg
    174.5 KB · Views: 46
  • stuck 014 (Medium).jpg
    stuck 014 (Medium).jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 47
  • stuck 016 (Medium).jpg
    stuck 016 (Medium).jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 47
  • stuck 019 (Medium).jpg
    stuck 019 (Medium).jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 46
It's nothing to boast about but I suppose in my life time I've swamped just about anything that's possible to get mired down in the mud .Try unsticking a bulldozer some time .Chit happens .

I had a rented bulldozer down in my creek. I had a whirlpool washout caused by a dam of down trees I was trying to clear out. My heart rate went way up when both tracks started spinning. I got out of there and went some place else to work.

I learned how to make a dozer work but I don't enjoy running one. They beat the living snot out of you.

Back