How'd it go today?

WTG Brian.. Sounds right up your alley :thumbup:

Butchered this poor thing today. I cleaned the mistletoe out of it 2 years ago and then the storms last year beat the crap out of it. So we are now in the process of keeping the foliage light for winter wet snow and starting to restructure the tree. HO wanted even more cut out and limbs reduced back, I told her this was all I was going to do this year. Low lateral is saved once again. See how the tree fairs this winter. We have not really had enough frost yet to start the leaves changing on the black oaks. We could very well have the same thing happen this year as last and get an early wind driven wet snow with most the leaves still on the trees.
This poor thing had a beautiful shape prior to the storm damage :(
Got paid and scheduled less butchery on two more trees on her place.

Attachments

• P1010035.jpg
    P1010035.jpg
    177.7 KB · Views: 51
  • P1010038.jpg
    P1010038.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 51
Just got back from Downtown Disney. I drove out there this afternoon to see where tomorrow's job is so I wouldn't be lost in the morning. Highly regulated traffic flow and no u turns permitted on the major roads so you better know where you're going or else be prepared to waste 30 minutes getting turned around. Even in the Mustang it took me three tries and almost an hour to find the correct location. I haven't been out there in 30 years and most of that stuff didn't exist back then.

Anyway, I'm working at the Dolphin and Swan motels tomorrow. The big landscape outfit that just picked up the maintenance account wants to lock me in for about 1 day per month out there just to keep everything tidy. No major hack pruning, just light maintenance, clearance and deadwood type stuff. The whole idea is that they don't want anything looking like it was just pruned, so that ties in perfectly with my philosophy on tree care. Looking forward to nurturing this new account.

Congrats! :thumbup:

Last week my new t shirts came in. This one will be for track night.
burnout.gif

GoSoFastFrontPrintDetail.jpg

I think that I just booked the second part of of Jan/Feb vacation, just waiting on confirmation............lastly need to book flights and then wait with eager anticipation.

Guys chipped a 5/8 rigging line today. I showed them the light. If that ever happens again they know to start walking home. No damage to the chipper or the crew. Other than that, work keeps rolling in

Funny, one of my crews did the same thing about a month or two ago. 200 ft of 5/8 with a steel biner tied on the end went through the chipper. Nobody untied it after they pulled a top over....they just fed the top into the chipper. Down 1 rope, 1 set of blades, an anvil and the labor to change the blades. Needless to say my guys know where the door is if it happens again too.

Same scenario here, pulled over a magnolia, winched it into the chipper. Glad I don't allow the biners on pull ropes or there would have been some damage. I'm sure I know the impression you left.

I called a safety meeting with all of the staff the next morning and explained why this WILL NEVER happen again..........I am very confident that my staff got the message LOUD AND CLEAR.

I had a safety meeting when I pulled up to the job site:D It is such a basic thing, guys hear about it from the first day dragging brush, I can't fathom it

What happened to Newfie? I remember Roger had a close call a couple of years ago when his climb line got fed into the chipper.

Took down a dead Nicholii, I hate those things. About the worst gum there is, always half dead anyway and itchy things in them. Takes ages to clean up all the dead stuff, it smashes into little bits.

Lousy firewood as well, I put a big pile out the front when I got home and someone took it so I put some more out. :)

When I saw my new 1/2" rigging line going into the chipper I yelled at them and all I did was cause them to look up at me in the bucket and look confused while it went in. Caused some damage.

Oh Lawdy a couple years back Tom's boys ran a 3/4 double braid bull rope through the old Lindag .Would you believe it stalled a Ford 300 .

It really didn't cause any damage other than the fact it took a couple of hours to cut it all loose .What a mess that was .

That is a big fear of mine on a job somebody not paying attention and feeding a line into the chipper and getting hurt or killed.

We've had that happen. Just a 1/2" tagline we use, got tangled in some thick, thorny brush and dragged into the chipper.

Rained out today, going to take it easy, splice up some rigging slings, change on the bridge on my TreeMotion.

Oh there's been all kinds of stuff feed through a chipper .Saws ,ropes ,gloves ,steel fence posts .Every so often a person . It's a piece of machinery that demands the utmost respect .

Ha I even heard tell they eat up cell phones too .;) I doubt that even kicks the governer in .Kinda leaves a dangling conversation so to speak .---can ya hear me now ---

If I'm not mistaken old Tom ground one up also .His own ,jumped out of his pocket and fell in .

I also think he ground up a partial plate too .The cause of same probabley was standing up when somebody said shut up .Either that or forgetting to duck in a timely manner .Things happen .

I don't chip, but is one person generally assigned to taking the rope off the top? Perhaps someone needs to hear clear being shouted, knowing the rope is out before feeding the chipper, if you can hear anything.

Back