hinge pics

That will be both a difficult challenge, and a superb objective.

Back when the first version of S-212 hit, about 1987 if I had to take an educated guess, USFS employees were running chainaws (and crosscuts, too) with no formal training, and often no informal training. Accident rates were bad...no surprise. Mostly lost time, but there were enough crippling injuries and fatalities to make any responsible employer sit up and notice.

As I recall it now, some 30 years later, within 3 or 4 years that rate had been cut over in half, and by another similar time frame, another half again.

I'm a lucky beneficiary of that training, and after I earned my chops under D.D. Dent's eye over a few C class cycles, was honored to be asked to join the peer training cadre. It was good work. I helped a whole bunch of younger Forest Service cutters learn to make it through unscathed, and I'm proud of that.

Oh, and NWCG has been around a bit longer than "recent". Not defending it but just being factual.

Recall my age :D.

Just did a goggle search...I am surprised at the date of origin (1976). I do not know why, but I cannot recall any awareness of this group before about 2000 or so. My bad.

That will be both a difficult challenge, and a superb objective.

Back when the first version of S-212 hit, about 1987 if I had to take an educated guess, USFS employees were running chainaws (and crosscuts, too) with no formal training, and often no informal training. Accident rates were bad...no surprise. Mostly lost time, but there were enough crippling injuries and fatalities to make any responsible employer sit up and notice.

As I recall it now, some 30 years later, within 3 or 4 years that rate had been cut over in half, and by another similar time frame, another half again.

I'm a lucky beneficiary of that training, and after I earned my chops under D.D. Dent's eye over a few C class cycles, was honored to be asked to join the peer training cadre. It was good work. I helped a whole bunch of younger Forest Service cutters learn to make it through unscathed, and I'm proud of that.
As well you should be! That's my goal as well. I'm not going to dismiss Dent's teachings by any means (I like it) but there is some new information that needs to be incorporated to "modernize" the teaching methods...and this is coming from an old school guy.

teach both chainsaw and crosscut.

Care to expand a bit on the govt use of crosscut saws? Hard to fathom for us who have used crosscut for an hour or two in our lifetime

Sure cory, USFS manages many congressionally designated wilderness areas which have restrictions on the use of motorized equipment. In order to maintain the trail systems in the wilderness areas, the crews are trained to use "traditional"hand tools such as crosscut saws and axes.

As well you should be! That's my goal as well. I'm not going to dismiss Dent's teachings by any means (I like it) but there is some new information that needs to be incorporated to "modernize" the teaching methods...and this is coming from an old school guy.

I could not agree more, re Dent's teaching methods.

Yeah I definetly spied that skimming thru the cross cut stuff. It comes out and says sawyers should not touch the sharpening process, only skilled saw filers in a shop setting.

Hey, if you don't have a mechanical under buck, had do you do it? Let it rub on another log placed in the right position? Sounds like a lotta work

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
revisiting the swing Dutchman

this cut was made at height maybe 20 feet. yo shorten up the fall and fight side lean
Screenshot_20201130-110206_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20201130-110144_Gallery.jpg
notice the thin row of fibers on the compression side Screenshot_20201130-110129_Gallery.jpg

Very nice. Hard on the axe handle I presume, unless the top of the saw is rounded.

I was thinking that too cory. Probably not a big deal for an amateur, but if you're hitting the woods every day with a crosscut and an axe, I'd think it wouldn't take much time to wear significant notches in the handle. I'd probably make something for the saw to ride on if I were doing it all the time.

Yep, it started to barberchair and you stayed with the cut a bit longer. I would guess pulling on it while trying to swing it at the same time was the problem. Ash doesn't like to be swung just an FYI.

Back