hinge pics

While you and Stig are stuck in some orthodoxy about how a cut "should" be made, I understand "why" a cut should be made and can adjust the cut according to the scenario. I do what works.

Daniel, you are simply the greatest.
At least you are the greatest at singing your own praise.

So tell me, where is there a tree forum where they are smart enough to appreciate that greatness, since we fail at it here.
I mean, there must be one somewhere, where they see you for what you are.

The World's greatest treeman.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Trees get pulled to the high side of an uneven back cut, so why put that opposite the way you want it to pull?

That's what you said... there was no hinge on the high side of the back cut to pull.... you've got a big mouth, but little sense to go with it.
None of it mattered on this cut anyhow. That's the real point here. You and Rico and Stig are stuck in the "a cut should look like this " box. My cuts work. they get the tree to the lay. I understand all the variables well enough to know when a cut needs to be precise and when it doesn't. What a faller can and can't get away with. It's the lack of a complete understanding that keeps people such as you stuck in that box. If you don't understand all the variables and all the ways something could go wrong, you need to stick to the rules. Stick to the tried and true. Make that cut the way you were taught. In the meantime, my tree is on the ground.

Here's the back leaning half of that tree where the height of the back cut actually mattered: Screenshot_20210129-205207_Gallery.jpg

Looks like a visit to Holland in my eyes.

Or is that a snipe?

Rico and I are pro fallers.
In case you didn't know, that means we deal with at least 10 times the trees that you do.
That is probably a very conservative figure.

In my case, I've been doing that since 1976, so by now I probably ( hopefully) have a pretty good idea about what works and what doesn't.
When I teach apprentices, which I have been doing for 30 some years, I teach within the perimeters of " Tried and true".
My "tried and true" is a bit different from that of other Danish fallers, because I have travelled, worked in different countries and picked up stuff that is not generally done in Denmark.

For that reason, my crew are the only ones in the country who log in caulk boots.

You on the other hand, see mastery of traditional falling as a handicap.
You insist that your " Outside the box" cuts, that are performed with so crappy saw handling, that it hurts to see it, are wastly superior, and you insist on CONSTANTLY showing off, how superior you are.

For someone who is known as " the king of collateral damage" that is maybe stretching things a bit!

Last edited:
I've seen your work Sti and it's mediocre at best. You don't impress me. While you may have put 10+ times more trees on the ground, I've made a good living by honing the type of falling skills needed putting trees around obstacles in suburban settings that my peers would be craning or rigging out. What do you have? 2 private videos on youtube...

Here's my latest.. just cut the tree yesterday..

and another from over 10 years ago...
Using ropes and equipment with lots of pulling power makes my techniques and skillset much different than loggers'... either way my trees are on the ground. You, Sven, and Rico can keep your orthodoxy. I have long since transcended.

Nice to be in the same sentence with Stig and Rico when it comes to hinges! I’m years behind them in skill but work towards perfect cuts which both have obviously done for decades. As to your harping on the uneven back cut I pointed out, don’t know why I have to spell it out but fine:

Sloppy cuts can be overcome by augmenting the face and back-cut so the tree still ends at the desired lay. My comment pointed that out: high side away from where you wanted a swing but using a dutchman and sizwheel...jumping past the basics to use neat tricks. No duh the uneven cut was negated by the dutchman. However, if you swapped that backcut and maybe gutted the hinge you could have subtracted the dutchman.

Your response: “what I’m doing is light years ahead of you and you’ll never understand in that little box... I’m above the physics that the basics are built on”

Here's another aspect of suburban falling that you wouldn't even think an issue in the woods. To my knowledge I AM the only tree cutter to ever mention this consideration.

Your response: “what I’m doing is light years ahead of you and you’ll never understand in that little box... I’m above the physics that the basics are built on”

There you go making up stories again... No one is above physics as we all end up in the ground. I understand the physics well enough to transcend the rules that make you think that sizwheel was a "Sloppy cut".
The height of that back cut had zero chance of negatively affecting the outcome of that fall. SO why are we talking about it???? because you are stuck in a box... Then you go on to say that the differential in the height of the back cut is going to affect the hinge on the side of the hinge that has been completely cut off.... COMPLETE NONSENSE... it's a waste of time to even engage with your small-minded perspective.

However, if you swapped that backcut and maybe gutted the hinge you could have subtracted the dutchman.

That's laughable. Gutting the hinge at a cut that's 5' off the ground when I have a pull line on a skid steer protecting this thing from going to the side weight. That's shows about as much sense as leaving half the money on the table.

Last edited:
Read through the whizzy thread and see that folks found gutting the hinge helped trees pull even better.

You didn't have to write "10 years ago" on that video.
Everybody who has seen you will know that it is at least 10 years since you could climb a tree.

I'm sort of wondering what it is you have seen of my work?

Gary gave me a camera, while I was crippled up.
I posted a bunch of videos of my apprentices, since I couldn't work myself.
I think, I have posted one video of myself, which got you in a tiffy about how you could cut WAY faster, while at the same time you were unable to recognize that I was setting a backstrap to save the log.
I posted that video because Gary asked me to show my tecniqure for doing that in a fast way, not because I have a driving need to show the World how everloving good I am, like you.
I eventually gave up on posting stuff, because I couldn't figure out how.
Took me too long to find out, because I only did it a few times.

I realize this is another example of incredibly shoddy, thinking within the box, work:

Last edited:
Read through the whizzy thread and see that folks found gutting the hinge helped trees pull even better.
There you go again looking in the boy scout manual rather than thinking for yourself. I put a picture of a gutted hinge up on the cover of tree care industry magazine in 2004. I've been a huge proponent of gutting hinges because of the many benefits they offer. And your suggestion to gut this hinge shows a complete lack of common sense. That cut is 5' off the ground, and there was zero need to plunge it. Total and complete stupidity to even suggest it, yet you want to keep hammering away at the point!

TCI mag July 2004.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like ol' Murph is slipping into the King Kong mode that makes him so beloved on tree forums all over the World.

Come on Daniel, tell me all that I am doing wrong on that pine.

Last edited:
But I can make that cut... And I’m certainly not a huge guy. A big part of getting smarter is continuing to learn and accepting when one is incorrect.

Reactions: Sep
I friggin' love the way you gauge a treeworker's worth based on how many videos they have on youtube.

That will, of course, put you WAY ahead of Jerry Beranek, and I think we can all agree, that you are nowhere in his class.

"We" meaning the members here, because I'm sure that in your little weird mind, you see yourself as wastly superior to Jer.

You are one mentally sick son of a bitch, Daniel.

Now, how about you tell us all, how my pine felling marks me as inferior to you :lol:

Last edited:
Oh, while you are at it, tell us about that Treeforum where they recognize your greatness.
I'm sure there must be one, somewhere.
I've been asking you for that since forever, never got an answer.
Could that be because, just maybe, they all recognize a charlatan when they see one.

Just asking.

I will just note that at the same time Mr. Murphy derides the idea of gutting a hinge at eye height...he posts a picture of himself on a magazine cover showing a hinge he gutted at eye height :).

Last edited:
And uses the fact that someone put him on that cover as proof of his greatness.

Back