hinge pics

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
'Nother dead ash....expect the worst, pray for the best. Needed to swing it about 15 degrees, let it go over slowly, holy shit paul bunyon, holding wood!
Crooked limbs kept it from leaving the stump, I'll take it!
Dead ash with that much holding fiber.. that's a surprise... Ash is the most unreliable wood I can think of. Instances like this where the hinges look great and others that just blow up and give no fight against the side lean... Do you have any more pics of the notch etc?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
back and side leaning ash with two high ropes. it wasn't worth the risk though it probably would have gone with just the loader. I put 3to1 MA hand pulled with 3 men on the second line. 20210317_193556.jpg

Last edited:
Great pics.

Hey off topic-

Let's talk garbage cans! For treework

I usually use "Brute" garbage can, a fairly HD, gray plastic can. They cost 45$ and usually only last 1 season cuz they always crack during cold weather use. So, overall I'd rate them meh.

Anyone use the big, wide, green, ribbed ones? They are the ones that garbage men often use with their trucks. They look like they might be durable, and of course easy to fill, but kinda a pita to transport cuz they are so large

Are you talking about the ones with the handles that can be lifted by an equipped trash truck? Perhaps you could rig something on the back of the chip truck that lifted them, and locked them in place behind the truck?

How about something like this...

Could be fitted with bigger wheels, and something rigged to haul it into a truck.

I hear ya but i'm more interested in man-liftable

we use the gray brute one... you can get casters for them which is awesome on linoleum and parking lots.

they also have a shoulder attachment... but we don’t deal with the cold.

hinge pics are rare these days for me.

My red one (over a well head in the pic) is a 2nd hand brute I got 4(?) yrs ago. Perhaps the older ones were more resilient to cold as mine deals with freezing temps fine. Dropped a small tree on it last year (saved a small planting) and it popped back to shape. Maybe a diff model or something but the red one came from a wharf for bait etc.

Burnham I laughed for at least 30 seconds.. you're great. I bet. :)

We use the brute cans to cover landscaping plants... stand on top of for a ladder, we call it the bucket, I've dropped stubs on them to absorb bounce, drop wood on them with brush inside to save sidewalks.

They come in 3 different sizes... so one fits in the Tacoma. 16167717749082040320791585766809.jpg

Sven, 4 yrs in the cold of Maine is quite a testimonial, I'll see if I can find a red one

Cory, I use the green ones. Get them at Home Depot (~$49), and replace that stupid metal handle with knotted rope scraps (that handle will constantly fall off, one of my brush monkeys almost had it go through the chipper pouring a load of sticks into the chute). They work fine and get through the cold okay. I get about 2-2.5 years out of mine.

Back