hinge pics

Nipped the corner off on the far side😎

If you look closely, the hinge is the exact thickness all the way across.
The face and backcuts are both crooked in the same way in the far corner.
Looks fantastic, till you realize it is a sign of not enough experience with cutting from 2 sides.

Just me doing a Murphy...................................sorry!

Only good friends as good as these would crap all over you just to push you to perfection. If you were as bad as me they would say "you're getting better" :lol: i think I've posted 2 hinges here the whole time I've been here, 1 was a "you know what you did wrong there" and the other was "not bad if you were wearing your welding hood" :lol:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Get a life...

Perfection is as perfection does... Nipping that corner has close to zero effect on the holding ability of the hinge. It may have even been done purposefully to account for some side lean. (though Stig is probably right that it's a result of a short bar)
Looks like he cut a little lean into her with a deep notch. And then just cut it up until it went with the lean. I'm guessing there was no pull line.

That hinge is far too thin for my taste. Certainly would never consider cutting one up so thin on a windy day with the wires there. If you want to create a little more safety factor, a thicker hinge will do it. It may not have been needed here, but a pull line would be added insurance. If there was a pull line, then more pull would have helped.

Stig once again is showing his small-minded orthodoxy by criticizing meaningless deviations, while altogether missing the larger point because his logging background has colored his perceptions about the value of a thicker hinge. A thicker hinge is far more important than a perfectly straight hinge. I'm surprised Rich had anything to say about the corner of the hinge. There's a man that doesn't need a book to tell him how to put a tree on the ground.

Here's a question for you all: Can you read the lean of the top based on the ring pattern shown?

Last edited:
If you look closely, the hinge is the exact thickness all the way across.
Looks fantastic, till you realize it is a sign of not enough experience with cutting from 2 sides.

Just me doing a Murphy...................................sorry!

So my "small-minded othodoxy" was because I was mimicking you.

In that case I shall embrace it and rejoice over it.

I think you are probably the one member who is too dense to see that I was making fun.
Not of the cutter, but of you.

The day you can make a clean cut like that, with the saw not chattering all over, by all means post it and I shall applaud.

Means you'll have to learn to file a saw first, of course.

For the record... My comment about Rich's hinge evaluation being why I don't post pictures of my hinges... That was a joke. I do not think Rich was nit picking but just made a an observation that was funny of a near perfect change. But I did not think he was being overly critical. I'm amazed at how well folks can pick stuff like that out... Having that level of awareness is a function of a deep understanding of how things work. I think it's cool.

For the record... My comment about Rich's hinge evaluation being why I don't post pictures of my hinges... That was a joke. I do not think Rich was nit picking but just made a an observation that was funny of a near perfect change. But I did not think he was being overly critical. I'm amazed at how well folks can pick stuff like that out... Having that level of awareness is a function of a deep understanding of how things work. I think it's cool.
well then post up some more hinge pics... ;)

Flush can you fill us in on more details about the cut? Looks like the houses were kind of close.. was that the whole top, or just a chunk of wood? If that's more than a 12" cut there had to be a good bit of top there...

Here's a question for you all: Can you read the lean of the top based on the ring pattern shown?
Before or after the cut? I can honestly say I've never cut a tree down (or top out), just so I could check the rings to see which way it was leaning....

I hate ugly stumps, so I always fell the tree/spar, then ALAP the stump. If it missed the lay, it's small potatoes to rotate the stump to match where the tree went.....

Is that the top laying on the ground in the bottom left corner of the picture? If so, why does it appear to be nearly perpendicular to the hinge? Did it land like that, or was it moved afterward.

I love when you do that: "Here is a question from the zen master of trecutting to y'all" thing.

I simply cannot believe how highly you think of yourself.

As for the answer to that old zen koan " What is the sound of one top falling?"
If you are doing the cutting, the sound of garden furniture turned to splinters.

I was really just asking. I never really studied it. the thought just came up on this one because I was trying to read the lean from the look of the hinge and wondered if it could be done from looking at the rings. Its more of a novelty question as anytime you can read the rings it's too late to help with the cut.

ANd I love how you change the subject rather than admit that the far corner of that hinge has zero effect on the fall. You stick to your orthodoxy.

Last edited:
Is that the top laying on the ground in the bottom left corner of the picture? If so, why does it appear to be nearly perpendicular to the hinge? Did it land like that, or was it moved afterward.
That brings up the question of do you know how to turn a top to land perpendicular to the direction it started falling. I have watched a couple climbers (Pat and Big John) do it by hand that were really good at turning pretty big tops. I've only tried it a couple of times with limited success, but I understand the theory.

ANd I love how you change the subject rather than admit that the far corner of that hinge has zero effect on the fall. You stick to your orthodoxy.

When and where did I say that?
I made a joke, based on the way you love to come across as the great guru.
I never said a thing about how that hinge would work.

That was your critique of the cut... I don't love to come across as a guru of tree cutting. I would rather just have an intelligent and respectful conversation about the many details of this work. But I just tell it like it is when it comes to correcting the stupidity of your in the box thinking. You can say it was a joke, but it wasn't. There is nothing funny about telling a guy he doesn't have "enough experience". That's your ego saying implying that you do. When I criticize, I'll tell it to someone straight. Not underhanded and then call it a joke. The problem with that hinge is that it was too thin, especially since he says it was a breezy day. Not that it's that big of a deal because it worked and was enough to get the job done. But any suggestion that the far corner was a problem is ridiculous. You talk about perfect cutting technique and use your critique of others to imply that you have it all dialed in. I emphasize perfect cutting function, that is making the cut in a way that worked perfectly: making a cut that is going to accomplish a needed task and knowing why. You and Rico are stuck in the mentality of making a perfect textbook cut. That is a mindset that I have long ago transcended.

Back