Good hinging and bad hinging wood

Treeaddict

Treehouser
Guys and gals,

Just read in an old post where Cory said that river birch was some of the best hinging wood he’s experienced.I’ve milled one but never dropped one. Makes sense though seeing the ways they usually grow. This got me thinking about compiling a list of good or bad hinging wood. It may be of use to the new arborists (folk like me!) now and in the future. Can’t wait to learn something!

Lots of different factors here. Experience is paramount.

Where are you located?
May help narrow down your list.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I get that it’s hard to pin down and lots of variables. Just a general list. I’m in the mid Atlantic region (Maryland). I figured it could be a countrywide or even worldwide thing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Only ash I’ve removed was 3-4yr dead. Both the limbs and trunks behaved well and didn’t let go prematurely. Never asked it deviate from its natural trajectory though.

Actually a really big topic with no substitute for experience for any particular species , variables include specimen age , health , location , felling techniques , even the time of year ... good judgements up front saves troubles later

Last edited:
Elm hinges beautifully. Unless punky as stated above^. But can hold on too long sometimes when bombing limbs. Best to cut up a finer hinge with them.

We tend to prune a lot of Elms here. They have quite a proactive management of Elms in the city. As soon as one is suspected of DED the affected parts are pruned out and sent for analysis.

The point I am trying to make is many people have been caught out and left tears around pruning cuts when they don’t realise how Elm reacts. Even with well overlapped step cuts there are chances some stringy fibres will hang on and tear down.

Don't take a chance with the horsechestnut. It isn't far after the ailanthus in the list.
Poplars are a little better but not by much. The limbs are often very brittle but tre trunk"s wood holds more.
Sweeping willow is a traitor, as the limbs can be sturdy or brittle, even in the same tree. It got me many times, either poping off when I want to stear a limb or holding to death on one side when It has to land flat.
Ash, it'suspicious. Most green hold pretty well, but some just pop off.
Black locust, birch and hornbeam are reliable. I like to work with them (beside the thorns of the black locust).

Poinciana is soso, avocado good, alder shit, poplar iffy, willow snappy, elm ok, gum ok but need sap cuts for sure, casuarina reliable for days.
Norfolk pine branches pop in a heartbeat, bang!

Back