hinge pics

I thought “holding power” was relative to the situation at hand. If it’s all about thick, jagged, torn hinges, I guess I’m a novice. If it’s true holding power I need, I’ll trust a well-set rope over a hinge any day.

Jed cuts like a logger where fiber pull is bad. I'd say the hinge was sufficient since the tree ended up where he wanted it. He also sent it with wedges, which is more elegant than using a rope. It needs to hold enough, and not a gram more.

A hinge is just that. A pivot point. A barn door requires a much heavier hinge than a cabinet door. Add a wheel to that door and you can use a much lighter hinge. Comparing thin, elegant straight hinges to some of those side-leaner hinges is like comparing origami art to a balled up sheet of paper. Both are “folded”...one is a work of art. The other...just waste-basket fodder.

Great saw control the way you cut into the stem behind the one you were falling, because you had no idea where your bar tip was.
and then you criticize some scratched bark that had zero chance of effecting the next hinge.

How you do anything, is how you do everything.

IOW, If you're sloppy when it "doesn't matter,' you'll be sloppy when it does matter.

and then you criticize some scratched bark that had zero chance of effecting the next hinge.

I call that stuck in a box...

I call that lack of ability to run a saw.

It continues to amaze me that " The greatest treeman in the World" has so little feel for using the primary tool in treework.

Daniel, that job looked like it was done by some hack, working for beer money.

It also continues to amaze me, how, every time you pull of something that to most of us here would be routine, you come here angling for applause.

Man, oh man, that was a difficult tree.
Nobody and I mean NOBODY here could have felled it the way you did ( Except most of us could have made cleaner cuts and have better control of where our bar tip is)
You are truly the greatest.

Feel better now?

Last edited:
How you do anything, is how you do everything.

IOW, If you're sloppy when it "doesn't matter,' you'll be sloppy when it does matter.

I am far from perfect but do try and do things to the best of my ability. I used to cringe when an experienced worker would do a sloppy set of cuts on the floor and cut through a hinge or similar. If you can't take the time to perfect it on a small tree then what's the hope for a larger one?

Practice makes perfect, or so we are led to believe. Some people are just sloppy and always will be.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I was waiting for you to chime in B... what do you think of those hinges? two swing Dutchman and a fatboy, with lots of big fiber, pulled fairly evenly across the hinge...

You don't know the difference between right and wrong when it comes to falling trees..
Bullshit. I know a good bit about falling trees, and I know shameful work when I see it. Before I was even a member here I knew you weren't anyone I needed to pay attention to. You've got the notable reputation you desperately crave, but it isn't for anything /I'd/ be proud of...

While hinges of all sorts have their place in logging, whether it be to avoid hangups/collateral tree damage, or to orient it best for skidding/recovery, anyone who’d go around felling trees around homes/properties trusting only a hinge is a mite light in the cranium. I’d guess 30%-40% of the trees (of any size bigger than saplings), that I cut/take down have defects that would prohibit a viable hinge. Arboriculture is blessed to have this wonderful thing we call ROPE...which does wonders.

Why, anyone who doesn’t sing the praises of the Fatboy and his two Dutch buddies!

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Bullshit. I know a good bit about falling trees, and I know shameful work when I see it. Before I was even a member here I knew you weren't anyone I needed to pay attention to. You've got the notable reputation you desperately crave, but it isn't for anything /I'd/ be proud of...
the very concept of right and wrong implies childish notions of morality... there is no right and wrong in falling trees, there is only what works and what doesn't work... what is fast and efficient and what is slow and inefficient...

those who don't understand the many complex variables that pertain to tree falling are stuck with the rules they were taught. in this box of rules there is right and wrong... that's the box you and many others are stuck in.

Back