Good Morning!

Brian, what about the option of buying some land, then building a shop with your residence above. Presumably a few years before climbing some stairs starts to challenge you. Upon entering your shop, is the stairs to the residence...compact and everything contained.

Sounds awesome. If I found one like that in my service area I'd be all over it.

Zoning is a big issue, and anything with commercial zoning is 3x-10x more expensive than residential zoning. So I'm looking for something on the edge of a residential area where commercial interests have sprouted up and parking tree trucks won't be a big deal drawing the attention of code enforcement. Cheap residential zoning tucked away out of sight is my preferred option.

Seems like it could be done pretty cheaply. You wouldn't need a lot of rooms above. An open plan is cool....spacious. Room divisions don't have to go all the way to the ceiling.

My real estate deal is still all pending. Buyer of my one rental backed out last second. I'm starting to lose hope. Today or tomorrow we're supposed to be getting an offer on my other rental, but I'll believe it when I see it in writing. Oh vell, just keep saving for now I suppose.

Good luck Brian!

Prices are so depressed right now I can buy preexisting far cheaper than I could build something. Building isn't even an option right now. The market is flooded with foreclosures with asking prices a third of what they were 4 years ago. I want to get in near the bottom and then have a bunch of equity to borrow against in 5 years when the economy recovers.

Just wondering....is there ever the possibility of leasing land over there? Such is available in a lot of areas here. It works out really well in a lot of cases for some folks. Long term lease, like thirty years, dirt cheap, and then subject to being renewed. A slight fee to get in. People can build without the additional land cost taken into consideration, and many do. Obviously the down side is no equity build-up, but in this place, housing doesn't appreciate anyway. I'm unclear on what compensation there might be for the renter/builder if the lease expires, quite possibly none, or maybe selling to another renter? Some folks figure that they will be dead before the lease expires, so no matter.

Another thing we see around here, people are building large metal buildings and having living quarters in the front part of it, center of it etc. You can have a nice walk in door on the front with a door bell, an entry door out to the shop.
I tried like hell to sell the wife on this, but you don't have that problem!
Even if you found a place with a large building and no house, it wouldn't be that expensive to frame it in and plumb it, then you have a bathroom right there as well!
Just random thoughts.

Around here commercial property without a house is more expensive than residential property with a house. By far, it's not even close. I can't afford commercial property. Read my previous reply to Jay when he suggested the same thing. ;)

I'm not saying commercial Brian, remember I'm rural, there are lots of places around here with just a large building on land out here.

I'll put this here since I already started the topic here, even though it isn't morning any more. Today I met with my new Realtor agent for the first time and we looked at the house together. There's a couple minor issues but overall she was blown away by how cheap it was and how well it fit what I'm looking for. She said it last sold for $206K in 2006, balance on the mortgage is $197K and a bank approved short sale of $79K is an extremely good price.

The three big issues are the leaky roof, crappy broken windows and I need to find out if the pole barn out back was built legally/permitted. Smaller issues are carpenter ants in the carport under the siding, broken door locks and getting a better fence put up around the back yard. I jumped up in the attic and saw daylight in one spot but the trusses seem solid overall.

Ahhh, up here central air is just ducted through the forced air furnace more often then not. Are you gonna take the plunge if the other things you're looking into check out?

OK that was rude... I was just woke up to the treat of two goats fugging outside my window....:what:
Time for coffee and find out who let the fuggers in the immediate back yard:?

Stephen is just pissed because another dude was messing with his girlfriend.

So my meathead dogs were barking at the neighbor a few minutes ago, down at the fence in the bottom of my yard. I went out and hollered at them to cut it out and the neighbors all, "It's ok". I guess now I know why his dog barks all the freaking time at anything/nothing. My dogs (for the most part) only bark if someone's at the gate and that's how I like it. They would go bezerk (atleast Thundy the older one would) if someone ever tried to come in the yard. I'm seriously thinking no one's ever going to try him on for size though.

Sam is the same way.
Anybody coming down the road to our place and he is up in arms!
Barking and growling and just looking like he was auditioning for "an American werewolf in London"

Once I tell him they are ok, he is everybody's best friend.

He puts up such a show that I'll bet everybody at the refugee camp 2 miles away, have heard of him.

Back