What’s a good 22mag bolt action?

Sven

Treehouser
Thinking to get one down the road, new or used. Which should I look for?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
It would fit in with my 4 other Marlins... Saw a Marlin 882 used which was overpriced at $500. Crazy that new guns are cheaper than used sometimes.

A Ruger 77/22M would be a great gun, but I'd bet it would break the bank, if you could find one.

I keep a Marlin 882 SSV above the front door. It takes care of crows, fox, coyotes, groundhogs, possums, skunks, feral cats, you name it. Back when I was shooting a lot, I could ring a 6" plate at 250 yards. Longest kill was a crow at about 225 yards.

The Savage equivalent is good too, though I don't care for the Savage's mag release.

SAVAGE I had one that was later endorsed by some gator hunter and I can't remember the model number, but it was the finest deer poachers rifle ever! Don't flame me if you don't know that deer are like rabbits or mice on Maui but people don't want you to kill them, so the problem gets worse. I can guarantee you that Hawaii axis deer 🦌is the finest venison ever. SAVAGE guns are the most accurate cheap ugly guns ever and anyone with a bench vice can be their own gunsmith.

On a budget... then a Cooey Mod. #60. (tube magazine).
It's cheap, dependable and fires shorts, longs & long rifle ammo regardless of the manufacturer.
It's about as basic as it is cheap but it will not fail in all weather conditions.

If price isn't an issue and you want a quality (fit & finish) dependable accurate gun, I would suggest looking into the CZ line up.

I had an old Brno Mod. 4A, (CZ) bull barrel and that sucker was a tack driver with the right ammo !!!

Marlin, Savage, Cooey for the most part share the same historical roots originated with Cooey in Ontario Canada.

Cooey's founder focused his attention on building a basic accurate utility firearm for a low price,
The barrel was where these guns shine but their triggers and fit & finish took a back seat thus lowering their cost.

Just about all Savage firearms IMO, produces a good accurate out of the box shooter because of the barrel.
Get it with the "Accutriger 2" trigger" system. Again, it's not pretty but it will be accurate without blowing a lot of money.

Something to consider:

- Generally speaking, a "Tube" fed magazines will allow you to fire, short, longs & long rifle size .22 ammo better that most "Box" magazines.
Box magazine fed rifles have a tendency to jam more often that a Tub magazines rifle because of the length of the .22 round your shooting.

So look for a .22 rifle that will shoot the shorts, longs & long rifle ammo from all the different manufacturer brands.

A .22 rifle shoots a lead bullet and 99.9% of the time NEVER have a burnt out barrel because it can never get hot enough.
The damage in a .22 barrel will most likely be caused by improper cleaning techniques , harsh chemicals or using the wrong jigs, rods or bushes !!!

In almost all cases (used .22), the barrel may appear to have no (or rounded) rifling because the lands & groves are full of lead and polished smooth.
Simply clean the barrel to bring it back to life and for proper accuracy. Or bring is to a quality gun shop & have them remove the impacted lead out of the barrel... it's worth the investing !

You can get a great deal on used .22's when buying an otherwise good quality gun that appears to have a smooth bore, haggle for the best price mention the shot-out bore (wink wink), then after purchase , remove the impacted lead and watch your grouping get tighter.

Good luck ;)

BTW, the Ruger 10-22 is an good all a round general purpose semi auto .22 .

It eats most ammo well compared to other manufactures and they hold their value over time.

There is also a very simple (no cost) trick to get the best accuracy out of any 10-22 rifle that most folks don't know about.
Let me know if you ever get a 10-22 rugger & we can talk about that trick then.

Crap, I just noticed you were looking for a .22 "MAG' rifle.
Sorry, I missed that part, my bad.

I also don't know your shooting background, if any, and took the approach you were new to shooting, my apologies if this isn't the case.

So...
Cheap accurate suggestion:

- Savage .22 Mag with the "Accutriger 2" trigger system.
Have you looked into the .22 HMR ???

Can I inquire as to what your going to be using it for, target, hunting, pest control ???

Last edited:
We have tons of Axis deer in Texas. Finest venison there is for sure. I have killed dozens of deer and pigs with the .22 mag from Marlin.

Back