Fuel prices

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
$6.84 for diesel
It doesn’t make any logical sense at all. Yes fuel taxes are part of it, but diesel is easy to manufacture compared to gasoline. It’s just wanton greed in my opinion

It doesn’t make any logical sense at all. Yes fuel taxes are part of it, but diesel is easy to manufacture compared to gasoline.

Remember back when diesel was always cheaper than gasoline? Then, what, 'they' figured out that diesel is indispensable to the working world?

Funny how there are price gouging laws but they don’t apply to certain things.

While I don't agree with those laws, I understand how they work, and in case of fuel, they don't really apply. The refiners are setting the price, and the retailers have to respond as I stated above (and their margins don't even come close to the gouging threshold). If a retailer was charging say $10-$12/gal, then that might come into play, as it's more than double the wholesale cost, and no justifiable reason for charging it.

Today marks 5 weeks with my bulk fuel tank. According to my ledger I have 787 gallons of diesel left at $4.65/gallon ($.06/gallon of that is BioKleen treatment). ~200 gallons have been burned on road, 80 off road (get the road tax back). This isn't counting the ballpark 80 gallons to currently fill everything up.

SO Levi did his first fill up on his truck tonight. I rode with him up to the local station. Fuel had gone up 20 more cents since my last visit 2 days ago.
150.00 for his little F150. Now we will use some and find out his mileage. Eye opener for sure for the young man. He should have his full DL by June or July. He only runs his truck up the street and around the farm. A 5 gallon can here and there at 25 or so dollars. Reality is about to get real. He is working full time and finishing school so he can graduate and start college at 16.

I don't even look at the prices. I just know the pump shuts off at $100 and that barely got me over half a tank in my F450.

The gummint cut the fuel tax by half, diesel went down by 20c per litre. It was $1.95 for a while, crept up to $2.09 by the beginning of the week and now at $2.16 per litre $6.60 ish per gallon (Aud)

A large part of that was going to the ultra low sulfur stuff.

I didn't know that, thanks for the info. So the ultra low means more refining necessary causing higher costs/prices, eh?

Diesel is now more expensive than petrol here.
$2.16 vs $1.95 for unleaded 91 octane.

I don't pay attention to diesel, so I'm not sure what it was historically. Seemed to vary up and down, but always in the ballpark of unleaded. Might be a bit more or less expensive. Last week I noticed it was $6/G with unleaded being $4.30/G at the time.

Early 60s diesel was 18 cents a gallon. Regular gas was 23 cents. Leaded gas was all there was.

10 years later price for regular shot up to 35 cents / gallon. Oh my!

By the mid 70s... 55 cents. Outrageous!

How in the world could they justify that?

The price of gas isn't the only thing that has changed since.

Back