Fighting The Heat!!!

I keep it in a dedicated cooler with ice. I also have an extra set of frozen inserts for the vest. I rotate them as needed. They'll last about 1.5 to 2 hours each. You can put the inserts back in the cooler and they're ready to go again before the next set runs out.

Makes sense.

So in that legendary FL heat, is the coolvest a total game changer? Like it makes the heat a virtual non-factor?

I use the hammer fizz electrolyte tabs. 3 or 4 in a 32oz water bottle per day. Then another 100oz+ of regular water on top of that. One of the best electrolyte ratios I’ve found out there, with minimal cost. No cramps. Consistent hydration throughout the day. I prefer to acclimate to the conditions rather than worry about trying to conquer them.

I use Nuun tablets, I think they also have calcium which works together with potassium. They have caffeinated ones too to give me a slight boost throughout the day.

I tried spraying myself with rubbing alcohol a couple years ago on a hot day, but its cooling and drying effect was hardly noticeable.

A big problem for east coasters is the humidity. Those "amazing" tech fabrics don't work. You just smell like a cat box, and are just as hot if not hotter than if you wore cotton.

A big problem for east coasters is the humidity. Those "amazing" tech fabrics don't work. You just smell like a cat box, and are just as hot if not hotter than if you wore cotton.

This is very true for me as well, especially after my heart attack from 3 years ago. Now I find the humidity very taxing on the heart.

I should move to the Pacific Northwest. I love rain!

Rain is good. Well, I should say drizzle is good. I like a nice cool day with a light drizzle, and maybe some fog.

Just thinking of getting my coolvest gear out today. Looked at the temp when I got back in the truck and it was only 70 degrees. I have been working the coast a lot during the hot days.

Heat's starting tomorrow, and will be in the 90s next week. I only remember 100+ less than a handful of times around here, but we pretty much always have the godawful humidity. This week was reasonable though.

Back