Breaking in a new rope?

treebilly

Student of the Jedi. OH-7106A
I just recently switched to a hitch climber system from a standard split tail and am having problems getting my distel to hold. I'm using armorpruss on blue moon. Both new. I find myself having to put an extra wrap on top to keep it from sliding. Could my eye to eye be to long or just everything being new cause this? I'm gonna give the VT a try when an easier job comes up but not seeing that for a while. It seems to be crunch time at work. Any suggestions?

Work it some while resting (in your free time) with your hitch and just work it in by hand. I'm sure better ideas can be had but its what I did with some PI as I wanted it worked in some before a first climb on it.

The best way to break in a rope is to climb on it.

Sounds like you did the right thing by adding an extra wrap. Best thing about advanced friction hitches is that they are infinitely adjustable to suit your fancy.

love
nick

New rope, new hitch, they need a bit of time to settle. And what Nick said, adjust wraps and crossovers till it works for you.

The distel hitch is a pretty grabby one, so I'd expect with a few climbs you'd see more friction out of the extra wrap than is needed, even. This is pretty normal, really...it often takes a bit to wear in new cordage and in the interim you just have to fiddle with the wraps to dial into those changes for a while no matter what hitch you are using.

...taking me awhile to get the HH dialed in for friction

I got some new vortex to go along with the HH, I use 6 wraps one cross over with the supplied Bee line, I find it works great, releases and tends very easy, seems almost too easy, but grabs instantly and securely. (I'm about 190lbs loaded up) Took a limb walk for a prune job on a birch, broke more branches of the limb than I cut, tended great and held when I should have taken a small drop. Made me look like I knew what I was doing! :P

Now here's hopin' that set up keeps workin'

Once the AP has a little more time, and fuzz, it should grab harder. Feel free to scratch up any glazed looking areas with your thumb nail, this cord wears like iron.

The Distel has been very good to me.

DSC04098.JPG

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks guys. I needed some reassurance that I was doing the right thing. Been in the bucket mostly since I posted so it might just take me a while to break in.

New hitch cord/new rope....will just take a bit of break in period...good advice on the extra wrap...once both have a bit of wear all will be well....

Now, this may sound very bizarre, and un-safe, but back in the days of old some climbers would drag their new manila ropes down the road behind a vehicle while rotating it to wear off all the splinters lickety-split. A speedy softening so to speak.

For those that have never climbed with hard-lay manila rope you would not understand why someone would do such a thing to a new climbing rope.

For an everyday climber in the days of old a manila rope would last only about 6 months anyway. In the interim you would reverse it about half way through its life so the wear was even. Otherwise the working end would get thin and the tail end would be fat, (less used) Maximize it!!

Then came the synthetics!! Wow..

My first rope wasn't manilla but it was 3 strand. The guy I worked for wouldn't use anything else

back in the days of old some climbers would drag their new manila ropes down the road behind a vehicle while rotating it to wear off all the splinters lickety-split.

The old arb I work with sometimes said he used to drag his manila ropes behind the truck to "clean" them. Made no sense to me at all, but now I see. Thanks Mr. B. 8)

Yeah it worked well in its day. He has shown me pics and told stories for each one of them where I have no idea how they actually accomplished it.

The blue moon and hitch cord are getting better. It's just gonna take a while because I don't climb every day. I'm part bucket baby.

Again, back in the day, let alone ropes and all, bucket operators and climbers where at heads with each other like cats and dogs.

Just my take on the times. I don't think it has changed much. Not to derail.

Yes I agree. I put in ten years of climbing before ever getting to ride the magic carpet. I use it when I can but know when to saddle up. I really enjoy climbing a lot more though.

Back