Breaking in a new rope?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Gotta be versatile. The more I learn and can do, the harder I am to replace and more I can get paid.

Not a big fan of the Distel. Now on a VT, whenever your hitch feels a bit slippery, simply take one eye (the easy eye) off of the binder, and rotate it clockwise 360 or even just 180 degrees. Instantly grabby: I promise. Works a charm--no extra wraps or nuthin'. I assume it'd have the same effect on a distal. ;)

Thanks for the advice Jed. Makes sense. I'll give it a shot. I make mine rock and roll also. AC/DC or Kid Rock in the CD player at all times. Sets the tempo for the day.

Icicle is a wonder too, especially for lightweight climbers. But not as easy to add or subtract friction as the Valdotain tresse, re Jed's post.

Finally got a chance to try the vt. Low and slow for a small prune. Worked great. I showed the Knut and icicle to a buddy of mine and he's gonna give them a shot. He'll probably be out in my backyard in the morning practicing. Thanks for the advice. I'm learning more from this group everyday.

Treebilly: Some cords work best with a tighter hitch like the Michoacan (basically a Blakes with extra wraps done up with an eye-to-eye). Once it wears in though it can end up being too grabby.

Jerry, we used to tie our new ropes in an endless loop over a crotch with a little 2 cycle lawnboy motor with a sheave mounted on the axle to burnish them and get a lot of the dang little stickers off of them. Those new ropes had a unique smell and would squeak running through the tautline.
I never dragged one down a road! New rope days you were bound to get splinters even with the burnishing.
I still have a few old manila ropes in the shed... can't bring myself to toss them out... witnesses to a different time.

Those new ropes had a unique smell and would squeak running through the tautline.
I never dragged one down a road! New rope days you were bound to get splinters even with the burnishing.
I still have a few old manila ropes in the shed... can't bring myself to toss them out... witnesses to a different time.

Pat, you're one of the few and true old-schooler's left. In another ten-twenty years folks will never hear much speak of manila rope on a forums from a true old-schooler. It's history. And good on you for keeping some of it around

Jerry,
Takes one to know one. My exploits were suburban and never as exciting as your days in the big 'uns.

There's one fellow still working the counter at a commercial supply near here who knows me when I come in the door
as the fellow who always bought 600 ft reels of 1/2" manila every four to six months back in the day.
Prices were a lot better back then.

I still have these in the garage...the last manila lines I was using when I moved along to synthetics. They still have a good smell.

Attachments

• manila rope.JPG
    manila rope.JPG
    173.4 KB · Views: 35
I found a 100 feet of brand new Manilla once and used it in a pinch. Then cursed at my hands and the sky for the rest of the day. I didn't know any better.

Funny. Everybody seems to turn their noses up at Arborplex now-(even me), but I remember how much I loved my first hank of it.

I have to say; it has been kind of nice to be old enough to accept advise and criticism, and then find you guys that worked all the bugs out of the idea of tree work with all the newer rope and gear :D

Back