anyone using spliced hitch cord?

I just had a look and there is no rope in the garage as I am at my dads house. Other wise I was gonna try and do a vid.

in the basic sense. Tie off one end to a cleat on the trailer or whatever. In your right hand take a bight in the rope wherever it looks like it needs to be. With the left hand take the tail of the rope and pass it twice clockwise around the bight. Making sure the second turn is inside the first. This forms a loop. Pass another bight loop through and then put under a cleat on the side you are working and then tension using the tail of the rope, tie off with a half hitch and it will stay tight under load. Throw the whole rope over the load and repeat.

The beauty of it IMO the first Bight can be positioned anywhere and quickly untied and moved if needed.

when it comes to undoing the rope there are no knots to undo spart from the half hitches uses to tied the load down to the cleats.

It would probably be easier in a vid but don’t have any rope at hand.

Ok, I think I might have it. I'm playing with some paracord, and it looks like the loop size is adjustable when tied correctly? IOW, before everything is tensioned, the loop can be easily made larger/smaller by adjusting the running end.

But you have to be able to slip a bight over the anchor, right? I think i have a picture of what you're explaining, I think it's in one of my knot books. While we're talking truckers hitch variations, there's an auto locking version that collapses into a blackwall hitch that is really cool.

A yes vote for spliced hitch cords.
Single braids are the easies, they stay flexible because there’s no cover being stiffened due to expansion.
Some cords have accommodating covers that can expand like the blue one in picture, NER’s PolyTech.
The cover between the eyes can be made baggy for greater flexibility and it also grabs more reliably.
A larger diameter cover sewn on the end of regular cover, top right, or a smaller than normal core with the slack captured between the eyes, the other two have a 3mm core in a 7mm and 8mm covers.
The pretzel on bottom is another concept, a continuous loop of 1.75mm Vectran, threaded through the cover and eyes to make three smaller loops, so six strands are between the eyes. It gives a consistent diameter and flexibility from eye to eye, can have nearly zero length legs.
128A7B0E-DF1A-44D8-9BAC-3868D532AAF6.jpeg

I just had a look and there is no rope in the garage as I am at my dads house. Other wise I was gonna try and do a vid.

in the basic sense. Tie off one end to a cleat on the trailer or whatever. In your right hand take a bight in the rope wherever it looks like it needs to be. With the left hand take the tail of the rope and pass it twice clockwise around the bight. Making sure the second turn is inside the first. This forms a loop. Pass another bight loop through and then put under a cleat on the side you are working and then tension using the tail of the rope, tie off with a half hitch and it will stay tight under load. Throw the whole rope over the load and repeat.

The beauty of it IMO the first Bight can be positioned anywhere and quickly untied and moved if needed.

when it comes to undoing the rope there are no knots to undo spart from the half hitches uses to tied the load down to the cleats.

It would probably be easier in a vid but don’t have any rope at hand.
Treehouser, TreeMuggs (Patrick) has a video of something totally like what you describe.

Last edited:
E86878D5-0D9D-4B62-A9B8-C17F9F817830.jpeg I learned the version with the Harness Loop first, so for a while I thought this was the original and best version. I was being too stubborn and closed minded but I still like that version.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I used to tie the truckers hitch with a slipknot and pass the tail through it, paint me amazed when I saw pat tie his entirely midline, my new favorite thing to load test a t.i.p, truckers hitch and a speedline sling choked around just about anything, quite the setup IMO, simple but effective

the only thing I wonder is how much heat your putting into a line, I know that depends on load, the line, speed, weather ETC, but I figure you can melt your line fairly easily doing this? I keep it slow and no shock load and ive never melted one

I probably described it badly 😜.

It was a good word description but a pictures worth a thousand words. I just found your other thread and was starting to migrate the derail over there. I guess I could leave Patrick’s videos in both threads. It is a brilliant version and I have not seen anyone use it but the two of you

I used to tie the truckers hitch with a slipknot and pass the tail through it, paint me amazed when I saw pat tie his entirely midline, my new favorite thing to load test a t.i.p, truckers hitch and a speedline sling choked around just about anything, quite the setup IMO, simple but effective

the only thing I wonder is how much heat your putting into a line, I know that depends on load, the line, speed, weather ETC, but I figure you can melt your line fairly easily doing this? I keep it slow and no shock load and ive never melted one
For human powered pull, you aren't gonna significantly damage any decent rope. Add machines, and you might cause some damage.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
For human powered pull, you aren't gonna significantly damage any decent rope. Add machines, and you might cause some damage.
thats what I though, although I have seen people cut slings fairly easily from rope on rope friction alone (pulling by hand to cut the sling, still frightening how easy it is)

If you're putting real pull on something, it would be better to use pulleys, or at least some biners. That's especially true for working gear where you might be doing it numerous times over the year. Rope-rope contact is hard on them.

If you're putting real pull on something, it would be better to use pulleys, or at least some biners. That's especially true for working gear where you might be doing it numerous times over the year. Rope-rope contact is hard on them.
I like the idea of combining the old school truckers hitch with two new school carabiners and two pulleys. Best of both worlds. Or use hitch cords like Gary does.

Back