200T?

I loved my sa25. I wish I still had it for a ground saw.
You can find them for little of nothing .Usually a carb rebuild and they purr just as good as they did 25 years ago .That was the climbing saw in its' day .As many of them where used for firewooders as were sold for climbers .

I think I made mention I had to rebuild the carb on mine last summer for the first time .Pretty good for being new in 1975 .

I forgot to mention in my last post that I also sent a almost new Buckingham bungee breakaway lanyard with the MS200. I was afraid the well used dirty one that was on the MS200 originally might have raised a red flag at the Tasmanian customs.

From earlier advice from Fiona, Tasmanian Customs is particuliar about organic material like wood residue entering the country. I spent a half day stripping the saw apart along with scrubbing with a toothbrush and compressed air to get it clean.

I should have taken a picture, it's been a few years since it looked that clean.:D

Haha that's funny Climbinfool! A chainsaw afraid of heights :)

Good news Willard, I'll be on tenterhooks till it gets here! The Quarantine people here are no joke (separate from Customs) they opened the package I had some new L pads in from Wesspur, they flagged the contents as 'possibly containing material of interest to quarantine' anotherwords they detected the leather!
When we got our container here they had a list of things they wanted to see, we had to unload in a roped off secure area at the terminal...they confiscated one wooden sawhorse that had a bit of rot on the bottom of one leg, a bit of anchor rope that had sand in it, they vacuumed the entire container after it was unloaded and bagged the dust for disposal!

Oh dear...derail;)

I have to start telling my 020 its going to get a new brother soon, and he's bringing a pretty new lanyard for it as a present...don't want it to get all jealous and stop working...

Oh dear...derail;)

I have to start telling my 020 its going to get a new brother soon, and he's bringing a pretty new lanyard for it as a present...don't want it to get all jealous and stop working...

Fiona here is a belated update and picture I took of the saw before I sent it March 26.
I checked over the MS200 good when cleaning it up. I found the lower mount on the top handle had a slight rip in it between the rubber and steel plate. My Stihl dealer didn't have one in stock and a order would take some time, so I replaced it with a brand new Husqvarna 272XP rubber mount. The swap was a perfect match! As the picture shows the Husqvarna mount actually fits up to the handle better then the original Stihl one. The Stihl mount is really soft & spongy. The Husqvarna more firm which should easily last the life of the saw.

Attachments

• SDC11742.jpg
    SDC11742.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 1
The handle mounts as pictured are one of the weak links on the 020/200T .About 8 bucks at a dealer .

It seems to me the bar oil which will find it's way to the mounts is what softens them up on all Stihls .Pretty good mounts though until they come apart .

View attachment 40438
Your very much welcome Fi. When you PayPal the money to Butch you should get "sponsor" quoted on your avator.:thumbup:
Tomorrow I go to the post office and mail off the MS200 out into the wild blue yonder. The only decent 3/8 lo pro b/c I have left [switched to .325 for the last few yrs] is a 14" almost new bar from my Husky 338 and a new Stihl Picco chain, I redrilled the bar's oil/tensioner holes to fit the Stihl. I'm also throwing in a brand new flippy oil cap for a spare, and a newer Buckinham bungee breakaway lanyard.

For the first time today I put the Husky 338XPT up against the Stihl MS200 with timed cuts in a 10"X10" spruce log. The 338 has a 9/16" outlet muffler mod, but with few hrs on it. The MS200 only has the muffler screen removed but the saw is well broke in and runs very strong.
Both saws used the same b/c. Each saw had 3 warm up cuts before timing.
Here are the times for both saws, each time is one cut. The little Husqvarna really suprised me.

Husqvarna 338XPT: 8.94 , 8.91, 8.52, 8.59 seconds.
Stihl MS200T : 9.25, 8.97, 9.65, 9.53 seconds.

A little derail here seeing this is about a Husky 338XPT not a Stihl 200T, but most here should find this interesting.

I converted the Husky 338XPT back over to the .325 setup from the 3/8 Picco LoPro b/c setup that I used on both the MS200 and 338 when I compared their timed cuts last month
SDC11761.jpg .

Installed is a 7 tooth .325 rim sprocket on the optional splined drum. The chain is a Oregon 95VPX narrow kerf semi chisel chain on a 13" bar.
Yesterday my wife timed me again in the 10"X10" spruce. In this round I gained over a second in faster times compared to the little 3/8 Picco chain. To prove the .325 95VPX cuts faster then the smaller chain.

Sorry no YouTube videos for the video buffs , just hard numbers.
7.43 seconds
7.11seconds
7.68 seconds
7.52 seconds

Nice adaption, Willard. Looks good.

The handle mounts as pictured are one of the weak links on the 020/200T .About 8 bucks at a dealer .

It seems to me the bar oil which will find it's way to the mounts is what softens them up on all Stihls .Pretty good mounts though until they come apart .

Thanks guys. Yes I think the smooth surface Husqvarna mount should absorb less oil then the Stihl porous mount. So it should last longer. Good use for those outdated Husky rubber mounts.

A derail to the derail .I like the balance of a 335 which I assume the 338 is much the same .Of course the weak link seems to be the oilers which they say has been addressed on newer models .Those are little butt holes to work on though .You have to about field strip them to get to anything .From that stand point a 200T is much easier to wrench on .

Willard, after reading a lot of your posts about your preference for .325 over small 3/8, it seems clear that you have made up your mind about it. Still, I would like to get your impression of the newer Oregon 3/8 lo-pro 91VXL. Warning, high kick back rating. :lol:
I wonder if there are elements to which chain will perform better when you start looking at individual saws, say with a different horsepower and torque? Cutter design seems like it could be a factor when you compare chains within a certain size. I dunno, maybe the "redesigned" cutter thing that Oregon likes to say, is just hype? Anyway, I like the 91VXL, without comparing cutting time.

More derail .I suppose depending the .325 could get-er done faster .I've got a loop of 3/8 lo that Sthil came out with I've yet to use which is chisel .I'd about bet by the mere fact it's chisel if will cut like crazy .Would it make that much difference in the over all scheme of things ,doubtfull .

You gotta remember Willard has about a pick up truck full of bars and two miles of .325 chain .:)

Willard, after reading a lot of your posts about your preference for .325 over small 3/8, it seems clear that you have made up your mind about it. Still, I would like to get your impression of the newer Oregon 3/8 lo-pro 91VXL. Warning, high kick back rating. :lol:
Jay, I have tried the Oregon 91VXL. It's a good chain especially with the longer cutter upgrade. But of the 3/8 LoPro I have used my favorite is the Stihl Picco. But you get what you pay for. These small chains are not high kickback rated, far from it. I like the Oregon .325 VPX because of its narrow kerf design for these 35-39cc saws . Stihl doesn't make a narrow kerf .325 sawchain as far as I know.

More derail .I suppose depending the .325 could get-er done faster .I've got a loop of 3/8 lo that Sthil came out with I've yet to use which is chisel .I'd about bet by the mere fact it's chisel if will cut like crazy .
Al I haven't tried the new Stihl Picco Super 3 [PS3]chisel chain. From their specs it's claimed to be 15% faster then their old semi chisel Picco chain.
Now if I done my math correct with the Husqvarna's average of 4 times with the Picco chain and the average of 4 times with the .325 chain, it would go like this:

The Picco semi chisel average time is 8.74, the Oregon .325 95VPX is 7.43 which is 1.31 second faster or approximately 18% faster then the Picco semi chisel. Remember the Picco chisel is claimed 15% faster .

Now the .325 chain's cutters are new with only a few strokes of the file on them. If the cutters were down to about 75% size, cutting speed should easily jump well over 20%.
Also the semi chisel cutting edge of the .325 Oregon chain will retain a better edge over the Picco chisel.
But the biggest advantage of the .325 narrow kerf chain is you have alot more "meat" to file for longer filing life, adding to the extra durability and speed.

I run the new full chisel picco and actually, to me 15% seems low. 25% is more like it, I think.

When we first were given one by our dealer to try out, we were astounded at how much faster it cut, so we changed over on all the T2oo's and the HT131.

Thanks for the update Willard...your attention to detail is very much appreciated!
I know what you mean about the Stihl AV mounts, I was just thinking yesterday my 020 needs some new ones...AHhhhh THAT'S what I meant to go into the dealer for...I was near there yesterday, looking at the building thinking, now what was I supposed to go in there and look for...couldn't remember so I stayed away least I spend money on something I wanted instead of what I needed.

Duhh

On that chisel wee 3/8" like I said I have one .I'm going to truck on off to the dealer and get another plus a loop of semi .C4 Fun and I have been wanting to do timed cuts with a stock 200T just to get some data between the two .Hopefully about June 2 at a GTG we'll get-er-done .The second chisel I'll "trick out " a tad and see if I can coax some more out of it .

Yeah I know takes a loony to file a race chain for a trim saw.What can I say .:|:

ive been running the picco duro carbide chain......awesome. more then a month....no sharpen

Back