Your thoughts on Air conditioning

cory

Tree House enthusiast
It can be key to recovering after a long hard hot day but most of the time I find it annoying. Peeps running in fear from a lil hot weather. Driving around with windows rolled up. Smh.

A pet peeve is seeing folks parked in a parking lot idling for long periods to keep the AC running. Soft!

Apparently 'mericans are way more into AC than most of the rest of the world, go figure :/:

I didn't use it at all for about 20 years. I started using it here cause of moisture. Thermostat is set at 80°, and I have ceiling fans. My ac doesn't come on that much due to my tree cover. I'll set it to 83° when I leave for work, and it's usually lower than that when I get home; ac never came on.

I despise heat. I'd take an 75% paycut to never see summer again, but I'm not gonna waste energy by keeping things frigid the way I'd like. Makes it that much worse when you get outside too.

edit:
My perfect year would be 8 months of fall, 3 months of winter, 1 month of spring, and 1 day of summer, just to remember how much it eats shit, and to appreciate the utopia I found myself in with the rest of the schedule.

Last edited:
We moved to Tasmania...no A/C needed thank you.
Except in the truck in the summer, as much as I like to drive with windows down it's not practical at 100 Kms/hr

I despise heat. I'd take an 75% paycut to never see summer again

That's pretty much Maine in a nutshell. Maybe 50% pay cut and 6 weeks of hot weather, but close to your ideal.

Needless to say, no home AC for me. I do use my car ac if the car had been sitting in the sun. Kinda nice for that

I used to never run it or want to be around it. 7 years ago I overheated one day at work. Heat exhaustion I guess it was. Don't think it was a full blown heat stroke. My body locked up for a few days. This was after one full day of not knowing if I was going to be ok. Ever since that day I can still take the heat but I don't like it, I pour sweat constantly and I find myself running the air more and staying inside when it's real hot. The hottest day of the year used to be my favorite. Now it's not. I don't mind being hot I just get tired of being soaking wet all the time. I used to not be able to take the cold but now I haven't really been cold in 7 years. I pushed my luck for years cutting logs and knew when I was getting close but I guess I pushed it too far.

A must in my bedroom, crappy house. If I run it in a work truck, I have windows down. It sucks getting out of a cold truck to go back to work.

Maine is close to the top of my list for places to go if I left MD. New England generally, and /maybe/ PNW, but I'm used to the east coast. I'd rather stay on this side I think. If the world was open, northern Sweden, Finland, and maybe Ireland. Irish weather is great, but no trees!

I’m a big fan of cold and lower humidity, especially when sleeping.

We sleep with the house at 63, turn it up to 69-70 when I leave the house for the day.

Posting from the steamy side of hell’s boiler.

I've worked outside for all my life. I have no fear of the heat. But the older I get the lower my tolerance is. Also as I acquired enough wealth to afford luxuries, AC has been at the top of my list. We have 6 months of summer here and my AC runs 24/7 both in the house and in my vehicles. I guess I'm one of those people who piss you off because I will sit in my truck with the AC running for 30 minutes or more while I make calls or just cool off and enjoy the air. I paid for it, I am entitled and it isn't hurting you one bit.

I can understand most pet peeves but getting pissed because somebody else is enjoying AC is a new one on me. I don't even want to understand that one.

Back in the day when i was a teenager, i would grab food from inside and then go right back out, the ac was a huge shock on the system. I usually run it gently in the truck, window down everywhere but the interstate or similar.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I can understand most pet peeves but getting pissed because somebody else is enjoying AC is a new one on me.

I don't live in FL, if I did, I might think differently. But what did people do before AC?

I like AC at night. None during the day makes it hard to acclimate. I prefer sleeping in 40-50 degree temps at night during Spring and Fall. You sleep like you are dead to the world.

Makes a trip to the head a bit interesting. It was in the 40's in my house far too many times for my liking last winter. 68* year 'round in the bedroom works for me.

Feels amazing when you get under the blankets again though. When summer turns to fall, I hold off putting a blanket on the bed til I'm shivering. Preferably I'll wake up early in the morning like that. I can then get the blanket, and that's the best night of the year. Happens once a year, and I always look forward to it, especially after the nights coming up to blanket night, where it's kinda chilly, but not enough to get the blanket.

Man, you have a way to fine tune experiences for sure. Kind of like a tea ceremony for the Japanese...a ritualistic way to enjoy and enhance a simple pleasure.

I used to scoff at people who couldn't handle the heat....then I hit my mid 40's...oh...I get it now.
I so do not like being soaked through by 8:30, and I mean everything! It sucks the energy out of you. I'm talking heat combined with humidity over 90%...horrible. Picture working deep in a swamp culling invasive...uggh. IMG_20160604_221637.jpg
I do miss a swim in the warm ocean after work though.
In the temperate zone now, got to watch out for frosty trees and when it melts it gets slippery. Otherwise, love working in the cold.

Back