Wrenching on stuff, repairs, maintenance, tips and tricks

Ground pepper will work. How long depends on the size of the hole! Lol
.....so tell me what you think...cracked pepper to get you by if your radiator is leaking. Revhead at the local shop said it got him home on a road trip, then lasted for six more months.

Now copper tubing .For decades potable water lines ,those you drink from lead free solder is what you use .It goes on almost as good as 50/50 general use solder but the so called lead free flux doesn't work so well .Use acid acid flux like Kester or Oatey .
Acid flux also works on silver bearing solder used on lower pressure refrigeration tubing with "Stay bright 8" which can be applied with a turbo torch .Actual silver solder requires a hotter flame like oxy ,acetylene .That takes a tiny little tip and I myself don't own any but I do have 00 up to number11 tips .Talk about heat from that big one wow .

... a few things from Muir resonated now imprinted and integrated to this day ... one is mentioned in Brakes. He said "do a slow good job on your brakes , remember you have an eternity to get it right ... " (might not have quoted exactly)

Last edited:
idiotsguide.jpg

Yea, but all the electronic stuff makes it difficult. With an old VW, a back country hack could keep the whole thing going. Kind of hard with vehicles today. The elegant simplicity of aircooled Vdubs was something else. You could do most of what you needed with the lugwrench and reversible screwdriver. They were masterpieces of industrial art.

Since the tractor is running I ordered the hoses. Four installed, with another four to install tomorrow. Now that I pulled it open I can see a severe lack of blades on the brittle, white plastic cooling fan for the trans/hydraulic pump. Ordering that now. Once it’s here and installed then we’ll see about moving some dirt. E0A0C4AA-3120-4696-84CE-772E76B2F62F.jpeg
59A3F8A4-6C1B-4176-8B56-66EEB2E844CE.jpeg
95CA83DA-AB14-40C7-B5C3-DCDC0ADCBA6B.jpeg

Last edited:
Yep, no shroud. Ordered a BXpanded brand "Under Armor" shroud and belly plate for the tractor. It's a known weakness of the design.
Since I have to remove the drive shaft to install the new fan I picked up a pair of CV joint covers, too.

If you don't have the strong scrubby soap for mechanics, before putting your hand in used oil, brake dust and any other crappy mess, coat toroughtly your hands with hairspray, let it dry and go wrenching. Your hands will be as dirty as usual, but you can clean them easily enough with some shampoo. The shampoo dismantles the layer of hairspray's resin (like it does quite well on the hairs) and takes out the crap at the same time. Actually the resin fills all the tiny holes and crevices of the skin, preventing the crap to go in them. That's especially noticeable around the nails.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
A plasma cutter works real well for cutting out frozen bearings on undercarriage rollers. My press just didn't have the nuts even with heat, lots of heat 500,000 btu weed burner heat. Can't be tight if it's liquid.

I just found a problem on my chipper, maybe y'all have a nice fix, short of ripping out and replacing parts.

I was greasing one of the 4 pillow block bearings on the two feed wheels and I noticed grease coming out of the block right next to the zerk and next to the bearing where excess grease routinely oozes out, it is a hairline crack but big enough for some grease to emerge from the crack with each pump of the grease gun.

Do I have options beyond removing the hydro motor etc to remove and replace the pillow block? Or maybe if yall have seen this before, maybe I can leave it as is :|: :/: for awhile and expect no worsening problems? Doubtful but possible?

Back