Wrenching on stuff, repairs, maintenance, tips and tricks

Here's another one older than the hills .Soldering a fitting on a leaky water line ,copper pipe .With a line full of water droplets you can heat it up until the chickens come home to roost and never get er done . Water turns to steam .Trick, pack the pipe full of bread which sucks up the water .When it's done turn on the water which blows out the bread but take the screens off the faucets before because it will plug them up tight as a bulls behind in fly time---junk yard dawg 101---

Okay back to stuck brake bleeders and rusted lines .Buy a set of line wrenches .metric and standard ,6 point .At the same time 6 point little combination wrenches ,6 point .Some of those bleeders are 1/4" an open end wrench will clean off the flats to the point only a pair of Vise grips will work .A little bitty hammer and tap them ,not like driving a rail road spike with an 8 pound sledge .Some times that will shake them loose .A cheater bar will only break them .Been there .

Never seen the socket one, but then again I've always just used pipe. The wrench one i use all the time!

Torching a nut off without damaging the bolt, and other torch tricks:

When you are using a cutting torch, you are simply oxidizing the steel. This requires the steel to be preheated, which will then allow the oxygen (industrial oxygen is almost completely pure, higher than medical grade actually) to perform this oxidation. Once a cut is initiated, you could actually turn off the acetylene and if you stay perfectly in the cut at the right speed it will still cut. What a cutting torch doesn't like to do is cut through multiple layers, because if done fast enough the preheat can't jump the gap between the different layers. We can use this to our advantage to use a cutting torch to "wash" or "scarf" the upper layer of steel from the bottom layer without damaging it.

The best place to learn to do this is cutting apart structures that have overlapping parts, aka lap joints. The method is to adjust your torch to a heavily oxidizing flame, and then hold that against the steel. The oxygen heavy flame will develop a quick preheat, and will actually start to boil away the surface. Sometimes just doing that (and not hitting the oxygen lever) is enough to achieve your goals, and works great for washing a weld from the surface, as in cleaning up a tee joint that you cut off (if you try to cut a tee joint off in one step it will curve into the base metal and gouge it to death). You basically are turning the touch into a grinder, and this will work to save time cleaning up a solid weld surface.

But when the steel is simply touching, as it would be in a nut or lap joint, the trick is to get the cut started as fast as possible to limit the heat input, very gently give it some oxygen, and move the touch several inches away from the surface letting the oxygen do the cut with no preheat. Doing this you can literally wash away the nut or top layer of steel away from the bottom, without harming the bottom. The whole point of this trick is to not let it get hot enough to start cutting. If you are working on a nut and it's taking awhile, it will eventually warm up enough to where there's enough preheat to start cutting the bottom surface, which means you failed. So this is easier the bigger the bolt is. By starting the cut, pulling the heat away, but still letting the oxygen do its job of oxidizing you can learn to wash steel from the lower layer. Practice it and it can save you a bunch of work when cutting stuff apart or getting that nut loose that simply won't go.

Back in the day this fact of a torch not cutting through multiple layers was used when teaching people to weld. By washing the weld away, any trapped slag or lack of fusion would stop the cut, which in the case of trapped slag is almost comical because it will blow crap everywhere since it's not steel. So it was really easy to see if you did good or not.

Another related and super handy trick is using a torch to clean a surface from paint, rust, grease, etc. You do a neutral flame, then press the oxygen lever. Now you can hold down the lever and then hold the torch against the steel, but you cannot start cutting because the preheat hasn't been established and the oxygen blast cools everything preventing it. So you can simply wave this back and forth over the surface and whatever isn't steel will be burnt away and flake off. Surface rust will even flake off, and you can even do this on concrete to get rid of paint that's flaking off.

One other cool trick is to use soot to keep steel splatter from sticking. You simply turn on the acetylene, which gives a very very smoky flame. By using this to paint stuff you don't want spatter to stick to, it forms a layer of soot, so when spatter from welding or cutting hits it, it won't stick. If you want cleaner welds with less spatter, cleaning only the actual weld zone is the trick, because if a surface is clean and hot spatter will stick. This is exactly how antispatter sprays work, by creating a dirty surface but one that burns away without weld contamination.

There's all kinds of torch tips .Like burn rich, straight gas and carbonizing surface then lay the O2 and burn off .A crack in cast iron will show with the black that's left .Grind it out, drill a little hole in each end to stop the crack and stich weld it with nickel rod,3/4" at a time .Peen the welds until you can lay your thumb on it . It's not a race ..BTW old John Deere is the easiest cast iron to weld, Caterpillar is the most difficult .Ford nodular can be a pain too .

Years ago I went out to wash a nut off a dump truck rear. The guy said to be careful because it would cost big money to have the rear built up and rethreaded. I told him no problem, simple job. As I was unrolling the torch I told him there was a civil war skirmish behind his place according to my maps and asked if I could do some detecting back there. He said he didn’t allow any digging in his woods. As I lit the torch I asked him “how much did you say it cost to have these threads redone?” He told me to come up and hunt whenever ya want. I never did get up there.

On the subject of torch’in. If ya need to burn a perfect hole, and you’re not me (cough :D ), Burn the hole slightly smaller. After you chip beat and grind the hole you just made, unless you’re me and just wipe the unnoticeable amount of slag off with your hanky:D, heat the hole up red and drive a drift pin in it. Perfect hole...

I already told ya elsewhere about the one where you pour a gallon of water straight into the carb of your running Jeep motor to fix what ails it.:drink:

I told a pup at work to spray a fine mist of ice water in the carb to help clean some carbon out, he did exactly what you just described. Threw a rod out the side, guess who’s fault THAT was.

You've never seen me high then. I would sit in my truck for an hour contemplating why it's called a "bull pin" because it really looks like a metal kazoo, then go raid my cooler for the next hour, and then in between bites i would ask my helper why is the hole still not cut yet:lol:

The idea with the water in the carb is also old as the hills .The theory was the water turned to steam but you have to be carful and not just pour it in because if it doesn't vaporize it will lock it up because a liquid cannot be compressed .Bang, snaps a rod .Some early engines like John Deere D had water injection .Low compression engine that would burn just about every thing once it was warmed up but first started on gasoline .I've heard of examples during the great depression some ran off of well head crude oil . They used the water to blow the carbon off because of the heavy fuel .It depended on the well if it would run an engine or not .Northern Ohio heavy sour crude most likely would not but southern Ohio oil most likely would

.....so tell me what you think...cracked pepper to get you by if your radiator is leaking. Revhead at the local shop said it got him home on a road trip, then lasted for six more months.

Cracked pepper?

On dirt bikes I've seen sticks and wedges...for radiators and heard quicksilver and quarters for cracked cases...

The black pepper deal is also an oldie plus you can use ground grain like chicken feed and get about the same results .It's only a temporary fix .Water glass ,sodium silicate works some time on cast iron but not so good in a radiator .

Back