Wood stove heat

Damn. What do you pay a month? I just paid my home energy bill today. I'm still sitting at about $1k/yr.

Beautiful shop, Dave.

With that setup I'm guessing you were doing metal fab long before you got into treework.

Metal fab was my top elective throughout school, and in the Army when the need called.

I work at Van Peer Boat Works in Ft. Bragg off and on for 15 years. At one time I knew practically every machinist on the north coast. Most of them are dead now.

The things you can create with metal. In the words of Frank Loyd Wright " with form and function".

Building boats was fun.

Beautiful shop, Dave….
Metal fab was my top elective throughout school, and in the Army when the need called.

I work at Van Peer Boat Works in Ft. Bragg off and on for 15 years. At one time I knew practically every machinist on the north coast. Most of them are dead now.

The things you can create with metal. In the words of Frank Loyd Wright " with form and function".

Building boats was fun. image.jpg

I'm lighting the stove the hard way, without a homemade firestarter. There are no more in the house, and the last bit of kindling in the house.

What an effort!!

We use paper egg carton bottoms, filled with dry saw chips, with melted wax poured over them.
Fun to make with the kids. A ziplock bag partially-filled with wax goes into a pot of water and carefully heated until the wax melts. A corner is cut open a tiny bit. Wax is easily poured across the top and allowed to harden. Each single egg holder lights a fire easily. 17024819059861636095383782234195.jpg

If you do scented candle jars or things like that, there's always remainders left in the jar. You can put the jar on a brick on top of the stove(DO NOT leave unattended) til it melts, then fill the jar with noodles to soak up the wax.

@gf beranek I grew up in the woods of the PNW and have been working in this shop for 25 years now. The latter part running it. My grandfather started it in ‘47 when he got out of the Navy as a machinist.
Messed with trees a little my whole life but a lot more in the last few years. All I get at work any more is stress, outdoor work helps. Can’t beat a hobby that pays for itself and then some. If or when I get more help running the shop I’ll do more tree work.

I'm with Kyle. Nothing like propane and propane accessories for getting that fire lit now! (So long as your torch tank is warm enough to flow and make a flame. Legit that's a problem here)

I split my kindling down to matchsticks and kiss it with the torch, simple and easy.

I use a name brand proper Kindling Kracker. Because I want to support the young lady inventor. Feel bad Dave, feel bad.

We cook on our woodstove, all fire season long. Thats why its always dirty. It's a Vermont Bun Baker, by Nectre, out of Australia.

Have I ever mentioned that we're raising two kids, off grid, in a Graceland shed? Yeah, we're those weird people.

Attachments

• 20231213_182942.jpg
    20231213_182942.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 5
Brought a load of wood in from the bottom course, and those are the ones with the spiders. I didn't bother clearing them, so now I have a bunch of big black spiders moving around. Trying to get motivated to brush them off outside. I don't like putting them in the inferno, especially when they thought they found a good winter home.

Went and looked at my buds new neighbors Lopi Endeaver. The stove was in the house when they bought it. It had a bypass passage to get the fire going that you opened by pulling on a rod. The rod pulled right out and they had no idea what it was supposed to do or how to run the stove otherwise. It had interior double wall similar to b vent gas pipe inside. Went through the wall to double wall stainless. He had cleaned that but not interior. Pulled that apart and you could see the threaded joint for the rod that had stripped out. He could fix that. Crawled in the corner behind it to get model name from the sticker on the back. Told them look online and they could download owners manual. They were most thankful. My bud says they want to get me something for my effort. Not really dificult so I told them no charge.

There's a high end brand I forgot what it is. They have one with glass on 3 sides. Anyway, Google 3 window wood stove, and there should be a variety of results.

If I was you, I'd build my own after studying a few stove designs in person. You can buy the special stove glass from a wood stove parts supplier.

Back