Who’s up for getting down

Just curious why you aren't allowed to run, seems if you could run it and pass you'd be more fit than folks who couldn't manage to run
It's meant to mimic actual hiking on a fireline. You are not generally running with line gear unless something has gone seriously wrong. Running during the pack test would also result in significantly more injuries.

Being short, the pack test is a bit more difficult as I don't have a long stride. I chuff like a train going around the loop they set for us. Head down, arms pumping, legs a blur (well, bit of an exaggeration), like a mini steam train.
It's worth it though.

Damn shame to see all that fine timberland got burned.

The arduous pack test is getting interesting. Clearly a challenge that would be very easy to set up and test yourself on
California is one crispy critter right now. They are working near Tahoe.
Most of what they will cut will get salvaged. The better trees any way. Same is happening here from our last fire. Guy with a firewood processor, a large truck, a permit and harvest plan could make bank selling large volume to city areas from the lower elevations. Basically, kiln dried oak. Some sort of skidder or forwarder would be a plus.

Last edited:
Trust me, even for fully fit people, the arduous pack test is no giveaway. And the 45 pounds is the same requirement if it's 25 percent of your body weight, or 45 percent. It was about 35 percent, for me. For my wife, closer to 50 percent.

Aside from the overall time, it was the not breaking stride I was having a hard time with. I know I couldn't do it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
we are talking 4 mph pace for 3 miles = 45 minutes. Im eager to try it.

When they say "level ground" is it truly flat like a racetrack, or is it naturally rolling like typical "flat" terrain?

Just getting an idea of conditions. I might load up my pack and lap the neighborhood. It would all be pavement, but it's up and down. One hill could be considered significant, but it isn't a huge deal. Might affect time by a minute or two. I should fill my pack with WTF to give the neighbors something to talk about. Some MRE's in the bottom, my 661 saw, and Mr Moobs the cat. That's about 45# :^D

When they say "level ground" is it truly flat like a racetrack, or is it naturally rolling like typical "flat" terrain?
Here it was dead flat, on the high school 1/4 mile oval used for track and field events.

I was surprised at how much easier it was with the weighted vests, after the first several years using a pack. Not easy, mind you, just easier :).

Ours is a flat loop of a local park, sandy gravel underfoot. 5.5 laps. Varied landscape so at least it's visually interesting.
The backpacks are all one size M/L,so for me I can't cinch it up as tight as I would like, the weight is water bladders inside.
A vest would be way better!

I have a 45# kb that I'm sure is eager to lend a hand.

Ours is a flat loop of a local park, sandy gravel underfoot. 5.5 laps. Varied landscape so at least it's visually interesting.
The backpacks are all one size M/L,so for me I can't cinch it up as tight as I would like, the weight is water bladders inside.
A vest would be way better!
Yes. The weight in the vest is balanced front and back, spread evenly. It rides without the inevitable bounce you get with a pack at the pace required to make 4mph. While I didn't suffer this, I've seen seriously bruised shoulders from pack straps, on pack test victims :).

These days, that's not that much money though probably decent pay to do something adventurous- new area, wilderness or semi wilderness setting, new concept (burn cutting)

Back